1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review: fivenews.tribeplatform.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by chilirepublic, Jun 26, 2021.

Hello, please review my news site, fivenews!
    https://fivenews.tribeplatform.com
    Thank you!

chilirepublic, Jun 26, 2021 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't fly.

mmerlinn, Jun 26, 2021 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm delighted you're back but you haven't learnt anything from our critiques of your other sites, have you?

This is a wannabe site that isn't worth the disk space and bandwidth.

You must have other things to you have expertise and passion for. This can't be it!

sarahk, Jun 26, 2021 IP
  4. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Its good to be back after 3 months lol..
    This site is only a side hustle.
    Only a hobby, not the main course to a meal.
    Looking forward to more reviews for this site.

chilirepublic, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No clue what the site's even supposed to be for, as it suffers from a lack of branding, explanation, or even point. The side bar has illegible colour contrasts, the entire page seems to have broken layout and/or undersized "fixed metric" (aka pixel based) fonts, heading orders seem to range from gibberish to nonexistany utterly screwing over any attempt at keyboard navigation... and that's before I look at the train wreck disaster that is the code.

Which explains most of your problems. I don't know what this "tribe" crap is, but it looks like the typical front end framework ignorance, ineptitude, and incompetence. Thus why the home page is vomiting up 254k of markup for 774 bytes of plaintext... not even 3k of code's flipping job.

Wait, that can't be right... oh I see, you're also telling users to go plow themselves -- and screwing yourself on SEO -- by derping the actual content into the page in iframes.

/FAIL/ at the most basic of web development concepts. All that content your slopping into the iframes (I'm assuming with JavaScript) would probably load faster than all the goofball tricks your pulling if you just loaded them normally in the page.

Throw it out and start over.

deathshadow, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  6. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Read the OP, its a news site. And thanks for your rant feedback. Completely ignoring it lol.
    @mmerlinn @sarahk @deathshadow Lets have a news site building contest =D
    Best news site wins! It will be fun. It would be nice Summer 2021 challenge for you guys on DP.

7. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    LOL, YOU are the OP! Since @deathshadow CANNOT see you, he CANNOT read what is written ON YOU!

I ONLY do IN-HOUSE programming to sell my products. I simply have no time for any other programming.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    mmerlinn, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    You really shouldn't, given that it tells large swaths of users to go screw themselves, and likely screws you in the needless complexity of the front end -- likely meaning needless complexity on the back-end making it a nightmare to have built, and to maintain.

Are you aware of things like the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines? Do you know why Semantic Markup is important? 'Cause if so, you've neglected to even bother with either on said site.

I mean FFS, the content of your page for users on screen readers, braille readers, and scripting disabled is:

fivenews

Feed
    Explore
    Search
    Spaces

??
    News

© Copyright 2021, fivenews

Feed
    fivenews
    fivenews

ADMIN
    News
    #fivenews • an hour ago

Trump has Georgia revenge on his mind as he returns to campaign-style rallies

fivenews
    fivenews

ADMIN
    News
    #fivenews • an hour ago

US heatwave: Pacific Northwest sees record temperatures

fivenews
    fivenews

ADMIN
    News
    #fivenews • an hour ago

Great white shark attacks, seriously injures California surfer

fivenews
    fivenews

ADMIN
    News
    #fivenews • an hour ago

Security robots expand across U.S., with few tangible results

fivenews
    fivenews

ADMIN
    News
    #fivenews • an hour ago

Florida condo building collapse death toll rises to 9, dozens still missing

Code (markup):
    That's SO useful. (sarcasm)

I mean scripting only elements in the markup (like that garbage "loader")? No content in the markup on first-load? 254k of markup doing 4k's job given the complete lack of content?

"A News Site" is painfully vague, particularly given the lack of content and/or news on it... though it's hard to tell how much of that is the goofball use of iframes, the broken layout, or JavaScript that's hemorrhaging so many errors the tab for it alone in a chrome-like is sucking around 1k a minute just having the page loaded JUST for tracking errors in the console.

Again, I'm not sure what it's supposed to even be/do. Is it supposed to be an aggregator? 'Cause if so, it's not working. At all.

Though what I do see is very typical of off the shelf answers being shoe-horned in where they don't fit. Aka "frameworks for the foolhardy". Again, never heard of Tribe, but if this is typical of its results... well... back away from it and learn how to actually build websites. If you've been duped into thinking what it has done for you has any merit, you've been suckered, bamboozled, and otherwise saddled up and taken for a ride.

As to a "competition", are you using an existing feed source, or are you self aggregating? I think to make such a competition "fair" the feed would need to be even, that way the presentation/site system itself would be the focus. Even if all we're basically talking about here is a glorified RSS reader.

sarahk likes this.
  9. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    A contest would have been fun. Maybe when you guys are free, we will have one.
    We could have a DP coding challenge - whenever you guys are free tho.
    Keep that in mind. Site has to be updated constantly. News is a 24/7 thing, always an update or new story.
    Peace 1

10. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Cannot ever see it happening here. I have not had any "free" time in over 40 years and do not expect that to change. It is all I can do to keep up with sales while at the same time updating over 200 website pages per day. On top of that I do my own programming to make that all happen since I have never found ANY off-the-shelf program that does what I need done.

mmerlinn, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  11. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Wow! Over 200 website pages per day. Busy Busy lol

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd compete if I had access to a team of journalists who could get the feeds and work them into meaningful articles... but I don't.

Writing a prettier, more usable feed aggregator would be child's play but I have more important projects to focus on.

sarahk, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  13. iphoneglance

iphoneglance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess my comment will be lost in all of this. But I like the site. Simple to read some news

iphoneglance, Jun 27, 2021 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which is why I'm assuming -- if the site is trying to do what I think it's doing -- you're just pulling RSS feeds from other sources and aggregating them together. Doesn't seem to work here as the iframes (good gravy WHY iframes?!?) are all out of whack and cutting off their content... but if those are supposed to contain the content of each article, and this is all auto-generating that would be the quickest and easiest way to pull up the data from all those different sources.

Again, are you using an existing aggregator, or did you spin your own? PLEASE don't tell me you're manually grabbing these existing articles. (which apparently is what the others think is how sites like this work... it isn't. Or shouldn't be. If it's what I think it is, this is a content theft site just pulling articles from legitimate news sources RSS feeds.)

Digging around it a bit again, I think the reason it's so banjaxed here is the willy-nilly mix of metrics. Some stuff's em, some's px, none of it consistent, and combined with broken flex code, a number of things are being pushed off screen or cut off.

Like the fixed pixel height declarations on the pointless iframes being anywhere from one quarter to half the size of the content, cutting them off. I didn't even know there was a paragraph in there until I dug at it with the document inspector. Same for the login and "join community" bottom-left being pushed off the screen with no scroll, so I didn't even realize the site allows user accounts.

So you've got a lot going on there that if I landed on the site as a normal user, I'd never even know was there.

I take it that the page isn't supposed to look like this?
    [​IMG]

Also are those react/reply below each article double-title supposed to do something, because they don't. Also should clicking on "search" give me a darkened page as if it's trying to load a modal, but without any visible modal?

15. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    The software I am using is hosted by https://tribe.so, if anyone wants to know.

chilirepublic, Jun 28, 2021 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    oh we know it's an aggregator but to create a credible news site there has to be some "value add".

I can't see the value in aggregators in general and this one in particular.

sarahk, Jun 28, 2021 IP
  17. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, its a news aggregator =D

chilirepublic, Jun 28, 2021 IP
  18. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    @iphoneglance Thank you. Really appreciate it. It's tough finding and sharing good news nowadays.

chilirepublic, Jun 30, 2021 IP
  19. FrogeHost

FrogeHost Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry but what is the point of this site?

FrogeHost, Jul 2, 2021 IP
  20. chilirepublic

chilirepublic Banned

Best Answers:
    Everyone on here always asks me that same question. It’s hard to explain how I feel about my special projects. Some projects are stints, others last years and years. I like working on news portals.

chilirepublic, Jul 3, 2021 IP