1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting Question

Discussion in 'General Business' started by bettybakebake, May 12, 2021.

Hi I had a domain pointed to hostgator and had uploaded wp and woocommerce and two media files for background and logo I made from Canva.
    I then pointed the domain to a different hosting account as the new company was advertised as being a "full service" wordpress hosting. I am paying 50 bucks a month to have the site fully monitored as I am not a real tech giant. i can handle simple tasks but i know the tech part and monitoring ecommerce sites with traffic can be intense. so I hired a full service hosting for just the one domain.
    It kept showing as suspended and support was pretty quiet. i held up my next payment and they said that i had brought malicious software on the domain???? and now it is showing 500 error and he is shaming me into trying to fix the error???
    I cant find the cpanel or how to access the files to even take a look. In my client area i cant acess any files on their ip.
    Am I a victim of some loser blowing smoke. or just being dumb.
    hostgator did not seem to understand my question, it was probably too dumb.
    but i did not migrate the info to the new hosting account. I assumed it would just be a fresh install. I dont know who else to ask.

bettybakebake, May 12, 2021 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    JoeSpirit, May 13, 2021 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    On http://leafdns.com/ does it show if your A record was updated? It should show you all the errors related to your DNS and A record. It will also show your domain's IP. You can log into your cPanel via your IP address. For instance, if your IP address is 01.234.567.890 you can log in like this (provided you have the credentials to log in):

https://01.234.567.890:2083

qwikad.com, May 13, 2021 IP
  4. bettybakebake

bettybakebake Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No I am trying worldpressIT.com they have great plug ins for a great price and they say they will do full care. now i am not so sure.

bettybakebake, May 13, 2021 IP
  5. bettybakebake

Best Answers:
    THANK You. I just could not remember how to get into the files. of course ip address. thank you.

bettybakebake, May 13, 2021 IP
  6. bettybakebake

Best Answers:
    so i never did find the ip address in or around my client area. but i wrote all week and finally thursday they said they would do a fresh install. so today Saturday here is my error message:
    http://bettysvintagestore.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi
    anybody had experience with worldpressIT??

bettybakebake, May 15, 2021 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you are paying $50 per month for worse service (and results) than you were getting from Hostgator. All I can say is that I have used hostgator for 18 years now and they have been FANTASTIC over the years. I, too, am not very technical and the support techs at hostgator have always gone above and beyond in helping me to solve any problems that may have come up. Have you explored with Hostgator as to whether they have a higher support level for $50/month?

jrbiz, May 16, 2021 IP
    JoeSpirit and JEET like this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like you are getting scammed my friend.
    The malicious code they are accusing you of, is probably some htaccess rule which their apache installation is not parsing correctly, probably because of a missing plugin.
    Like, I had this line in my htaccess file, when I uploaded a website to hostgator,

"php_value upload_max_filesize 60M"

Hostgator servers do not allow modifying PHP values that way, but my VPS with a different host has no problem with that method.
    Hostgator kept saying me malicious code found in file. So I commented that line in htaccess and things got ok.
    May be its something this small in your files, on your new host as well.

500 error mostly comes from 2 places, PHP or htaccess.
    1. From a broken PHP code.
    2. From a bad htaccess rule in htaccess file.
    3. Extremely high number of queries sent to MySQL database, via PHP, in many thousands at once.
    4. A missing PHP file, which main php file is trying to include.

Since you are using basic wordpress, and wocommerce plugins, which would not have a broken code in PHP or extremely high number of queries sent to mysql, so am thinking its coming from htaccess file.

However, since your account is suspended, so there is no way to test this either.
    Rename your htaccess file to something, like "a.htaccess", and see if homepage loads.
    Other pages will still show error, but homepage should load, if account is not suspended...

If you can ftp to your host, then check the php error log also, see if something is mentioned there. Missing file error, or broken code errors will be written in there.

By the way, I agree with @jrbiz I too have hosting with hostgator, and they have provided good service so far, except for one or two small problems here and there.
    You don't need a special hosting for a wordpress wocommerce site. Hostgator too has a Wordpress hosting package. They do all maintainance work for you in that package.
    If you start getting some problem on this package, like traffic became too high to handle for a shared hosting package, then you can always buy a VPS from hostgator itself, and they will move your site on your VPS free of cost.

This new host appears to be cheating you...

JEET, May 17, 2021 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  9. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree.

I used HostGator at one time but left. Now I'm using Namecheap and the support there hasn't failed to either help me straighten out problems or steer me toward the information I need to get the problem straightened on my own.

JoeSpirit, May 18, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. Mike Kelvin

Mike Kelvin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you can access your file through Filezilla then you can look out for the .htacess file in the public.html file. As the 500 internal error occurs due to the bad code in the .htacess file present in the server.

Mike Kelvin, May 19, 2021 IP
  11. Nameshark

Nameshark Member

Best Answers:
    The job of your web hosting provider or the script service you are paying for is not to shame you, but to support you and help to figure out what the issue might be. Any company that is good will let you know what the issue is and how to correct it. It could be some simple violation of their terms or the way they have their server configured to handle htaccess. No matter what the issue is simply suspending you and doing nothing to help you solve the issue and get you going is not a company a you want to deal with.

You might also ask any host you are going to deal with if they allow the scripts you want to run. This can help alleviate a lot of headaches for you going forward.

Also many plugins are not kept up to date and can cause issues if used with the most current versions of WordPress and Woocommerce. I have seen a number of times where they caused internal server errors which is a pain, but fixable.

Like was mentioned earlier Hostgator does have a pretty solid support team and have had for years. Not perfect by any means, but solid. The fact is though there is no host that is perfect. They should be able to help you with the issues you are having, however.

Nameshark, May 24, 2021 IP