1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Conflict Between Older Versions and More Recent Versions of jQuery

Discussion in 'jQuery' started by makamo66, Apr 27, 2021.

I have older versions of jquery installed on my page that uses the draggable/droppable elements but I want to use recent versions of bootstrap and jquery to implement modals on the same page. When I add a link to the recent versions to my page all of the draggable/droppable elements stop working. How can I use newer versions of jquery along with older versions?

makamo66, Apr 27, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's probably a small change in the commands used. You'll need to debug your scripts to find the ones that "break". You may be able to google for a cheat sheet on the differences.

sarahk, Apr 27, 2021 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Replace the old jquery libraries link in the <head></head> with the new. Having them both on the same page will make some elements quit working.

qwikad.com, Apr 28, 2021 IP
  4. makamo66

makamo66 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, qwikad.com I will try that out when I get the chance.

makamo66, Apr 28, 2021 IP
  5. makamo66

makamo66 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I replaced the old jQuery scripts with the new ones but it still doesn't work.

makamo66, Apr 29, 2021 IP
  6. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since jQueery is nothing more than simple javascript, why don't you replace your jQueery with the appropriate javascript? That way your page will not break when jQueery is changed.

mmerlinn, Apr 29, 2021 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not everyone has the time or inclination to learn beyond cut and paste. jQuery serves those people well.

sarahk, Apr 29, 2021 IP
  8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That may be true overall. However, in this case it appears that the OP has already spent more time learning jQueery in order to fix the problems than if the OP had just spent the time learning javascript. And if jQueery changes in the future, that is more lost time learning the changes in order to fix problems that would never happen if javascript were implemented now.

BTW, I am biased against jQueery for the simple reason that people using it force webpages to load 384K of mostly unused code. If they would only load what is needed, I would not be so biased. I get very irritated waiting for pages to load because they have mostly unused code slowing things down. And it is getting worse. Pages that used to load in seconds last year sometimes now take a half hour or more simply because of all of the added crap even though the loaded page looks exactly the same.

mmerlinn, Apr 29, 2021 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]
    And that is why they fail. It's why most of this framework based BULLSHIT is designed both by and for people who have no business working on websites in the first place.

Those who CREATED these frameworks didn't know enough HTML, CSS, or Javascript to write a single damned line of each, and they prey on the gullibility of those who know even less than that. Because all these people do is blindly copy the work of others, they are utterly ill equipped not only to fix when things go sideways, but to even make a rational informed choice about what to -- and what not to -- use in the first place.

That blindly copied code magically then doesn't work with newer versions? Well nu-duh. That's not just to be expected, it's by design. As the moderator on another forums is fond of saying, stop making problems you don't have.

Thus my advice to the OP? Learn from this lesson and rip out all the bloated, ignorant, incompetent, inaccessible framework BULLSHIT and start over clean with vanilla code. Dimes to dollars two thirds of the crap you've got jQuery doing doesn't even warrant the use of client-side JavaScript in the first place, and if it is warranted at most it would/should be DOM generation and class swaps.

Like modal dialogs. where most of the mechanism of action doesn't even need JavaScript, much less some half-tweet nose-breathing jQuery idiocy.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    deathshadow, May 27, 2021 IP