1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to Up my Marketing Game

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Edna Welburg, Apr 4, 2021.

Hello everyone, I hope ya'll are doing fine.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to marketing, especially digital marketing. I just landed my first job with an agency and am looking for any tips, educational resources, and fundamentals I need to learn to get a foothold in. I have a little bit of experience with social media (I had one viral post of a meme lol) so there's that.

Tips or suggestions of any kind is greatly appreciated, help an idiot out, thanks!

Edna Welburg, Apr 4, 2021 IP
  2. Gavin Anthony Wilson

Gavin Anthony Wilson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey there Edna!

First off, congrats on landing a gig with your job! Digital Marketing and eCommerce, in general, is a wide scope of all types of content and knowledge.

I've been a digital marketer for the past 20 years, and there's no denying that it has been an uphill battle–until today. The arbitrary and dynamic nature of the internet in all its vastness is what makes it such a gratifying and profitable venue.

Let me give you a quick run-through of what I've learned thus far, which I wish somebody had told me when I entered this industry lol. I'll be breaking it down to three points: SEO, Systems, and Social Media (The three S's, if you will)

1.) SEO [Organic search and reach] - we all know what it is, but this feisty little fella is still a tough nut to crack. If you want to make it in the digital marketing industry and the eCommerce realm, you need a semblance of knowledge when it comes to SEO. Lucky for you, you're not going in blind as we did. Do a quick search, there are tons of online resources and you now have access to heaps of free and paid online courses (a worthwhile investment if you have the cash imo). The internet and search engines have seen sophisticated modifications and improvements for the past 2 decades, everything you need to know is one search away, and the same is true with all your competitors out there. You need to read, research, and apply. The best way you're ever gonna learn is through applied knowledge. Putting things into action will speed up your learning process.

2.) Systems [Manual systems vs Automation] - hey, everything is pretty instant now. And I'm pretty sure you're well aware of that. In digital marketing, time is of absolute essence, there are leads out there 24/7. But you can't be awake all the time, right? I came across this blog from Hyperise (https://hyperise.com/blog/sales-automation/) about Sales Automation last week which succinctly resonates with my thoughts. Manually outsourcing leads, placing ads, obtaining email lists, and performing all the necessary administrative tasks in-between is a waste of time. If you still aren't, you have to be familiar with all the different software and apps within the digital marketing space that makes our lives SO MUCH EASIER. Honestly, I used to slave away in front of my desk but when I pretty much automated what I do manually, I got to focus on creating high-quality ads and actually closing deals with prospects.

3.) Social Media [Choosing and being consistent] - lo and behold one of the common downfalls of digital marketers–social media lol. In the guise of improving a business's online presence, most eCommerce stores and shops hop into the socmed bandwagon and post the exact same thing across all platforms. Unless you're a well-established brand, that actually dilutes the quality of your content. Try diving deep into one or two social media platforms at a time, get a hang of the community, understand what works (or what the algorithm pushes out), and always 'think like a customer'. Ask questions like 'If I was scrolling through Instagram, would I actually click on this Ad?' or 'If this Ad plays in the middle of my video on youtube, would I actually stop and watch?' Mastering socmed advertising is one of a digital marketer's most powerful assets, and if you actually understand it, it's going to be one hell of a skillset.

I wish you luck on your marketing journey, if you have any questions feel free to drop them and I'll try to answer as much as I can.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Gavin Anthony Wilson, Apr 4, 2021 IP
  3. Host4Biz

Host4Biz Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to start with your web site development.
    Proper working web site with great usability is the must.
    Also decide on your keywords (requests you want to be found by) and start building your SEO.

Host4Biz, Apr 5, 2021 IP
  4. Edna Welburg

Edna Welburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Gavin, this is absolutely phenomenal advice and thank you for taking the time to help out a stranger like me. I really really appreciate this. I'll keep you posted on my progress :))

Edna Welburg, Apr 7, 2021 IP
  5. Edna Welburg

Edna Welburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Heyo Host4Biz, thanks for your insight, I'm on the hard road of developing my website right now! :)

Edna Welburg, Apr 7, 2021 IP
  6. IAmTheAnswer

IAmTheAnswer Member

Best Answers:
    Youtube have lots of resources about digital marketing and don't forget that Google is your friend ;)
    Best of luck to your job!

IAmTheAnswer, Apr 8, 2021 IP
  7. Harvey Wolf

Harvey Wolf Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Edna, firstly congratulations on landing your job (hope it's going well) especially where we are all right now with the pandemic, well done on moving forward career wise.
    Secondly, with regards to any tips as you mentioned social media I have done a blog post entitled 'How To Be Best Promoting On Social Media To Promote Your Product Or Service which I think will help - https://jbs786.com/how-to-be-best-posting-on-social-media-to-promote-your-product-or-service/ All the best Harvey. PS there is no such thing as an idiot only someone who wants to do better and better. Every step you take is a step forward, (it might not be the right step, but you learn from it you and move forward and guess what, you get better and better. All the best

Harvey Wolf, Apr 10, 2021 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Since the OP may very well be working on a combination of B2C and B2B clients, I would be interested to hear experts opine on differences between the two general markets for social marketers to consider.

jrbiz, Apr 16, 2021 IP
  9. Edna Welburg

Edna Welburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I do google a lot, although I avoid Youtube because the algorithm is too smart and I won't help myself getting stuck in there for a few hours lol. Thank you!

Edna Welburg, Apr 22, 2021 IP
  10. Edna Welburg

Edna Welburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't seem to figure out multi-quoting, I wanted to answer everyone with one message kdskdkssdk.

Thank you for the kind words Harvey! So far so good! It's been keeping me busy and I think I've finally learned the ropes. I'll take a look at this blogpost / URL and let you know what I think!

Hahahaha yeah, sorry about the idiot remark but self-deprecation is kind of a running gag with me and my friends. I'm hoping all of you are doing well too!!

11. Edna Welburg

Edna Welburg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm working with B2B clients! I honestly feel like I've robbed myself with all my luck because I landed in a well-known marketing agency that has solid clients, great mentors, and an overall terrific working environment. I feel like Andy in The Devil Wears Prada! Hahaha

12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is important to recognize your luck and to be sure to capitalize on it. I would still like to hear from some social media experts as to how it can best be used for B2B campaigns.

jrbiz, Apr 22, 2021 IP
  13. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    It's great that you got the chance to enter the digital marketing area, as you will really find a lot of different opportunities here and you will be able to create a successful career. If you want to learn, the best method is to watch tutorials, read blogs, also to read these kinds of forum threads as here you will see some real-life experiences from other marketers and you will catch up on some valuable tricks. Also, try to be active and engage with others, just like you did now, ask questions, reply to comment posts from others and you will see how it will help you increase the level of your skills. Besides, if your working colleagues are good, you can also ask them for help when you need it.

VortexAlpha, Jan 11, 2022 IP