1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Simple database front-end for simple small business

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Perantine, Apr 17, 2021.

I run a small language school and I have a database with language students’ details: names, contact details, ages, lesson times, dob, fees, fee due dates and the like.

I set up a MySQL online database years ago, wrote php/html pages (from a book) and uploaded them to the server. I use these to input/edit student details, move leavers to another table (I realise now that isn’t necessary), get various lists (next month’s birthdays, fees, lesson registers, etc.) and show reports such as fees due each month, students graduating their normal schools next April, etc. It also archives student numbers according to their school grades at the end of each month (which is the 3rd table in my set-up).

So basically the equivalent of spreadsheets with various reports available at the click of a button.

However, the latest PHP update has me giving up trying to learn how to update all those files and I’m resigned to letting it all go once my hosting company switch off the current PHP version. So I’m looking for a simple front-end that I can use to replace this. I looked at LibreOffice Base and it just seems overkill and a time sink for what I want. I was suicidal after getting through the first chapter of the manual. I’m busy running the school and don’t have the time, intelligence nor inclination to be a programmer, too…

So does anyone have any suggestions what my best plan of action would be? Two of us use the db, not always in the same place, so I want to continue with everything online. Oh, and we use Macs.

Perantine, Apr 17, 2021 IP
  2. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is the PHP that you used OOP at all?

I'm guessing that you've used the old mysql_* extension for accessing MySQL. That extension was removed from PHP 7.

One approach would be to go through it, converting it to use the mysqli_* extension. Then once it's been converted, look at using prepared statements for any database query, no matter what the source of any data being used is

SpacePhoenix, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't throw out your system that's been working - updating it shouldn't be too hard, I'm with @SpacePhoenix, it's probably just your database calls and once you work out the difference it'll be quick to update.

sarahk, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  4. Perantine

Perantine Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, you've set me on the path to doing just that. Looks like there isn’t much out there so I’ve started to recode my existing files. Long job but probably the easiest option.

Perantine, Apr 25, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.