1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you suggest anything?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Jonathan993, Apr 18, 2021.

Lately, I don't like the performance of my website, sometimes it slows down, sometimes it lags. And I need it to work faster, fly, so to speak. Can you suggest anything? The most important thing I need is fast work.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Jonathan993, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Impossible to diagnose the patient without seeing the patient.

mmerlinn, Apr 18, 2021 IP
    JEET and Efetobor Agbontaen like this.
  3. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shared or dedicated server?

PHP & MySQL version numbers?

What software is being used?

Any sorts of changes been made to the server recently?

SpacePhoenix, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Did you try to restart the server (if you have that option)? Most of the time restarting the server is not necessary, but on some occasions it may fix the issues causing your site's sluggishness.

Secondly, if your site uses a database, repairing it (using the Repair DB option in phpMyAdmin) may also help.

But as everyone has said, we need more info. It can be as simple as bots overwhelming your site.

qwikad.com, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Based on what you said, it looks like site is getting sluggish during high traffic time.
    Mainly 2 reasons for this.
    1. Database queries are not optimized, and are taking too long to finish, so second query keeps waiting, slowing the webpage.

2. Apache is keeping the connection open for too long, and is running out of resources to process new connections.

For the first one, fix those queries, or implement a caching system, to reduce number of queries sent to database.

For second one, increase apache variables like number of servers, number of processes, max workers.
    You can double those values safely, first time.

And reduce keep alive timeout. Cut it to half may be. Don't go too low on this, otherwise it will have opposite effect.
    Something like "3" or "5" is ok.

JEET, Apr 18, 2021 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When was the last time you did work on the site?

Does it use a Content Management System like WordPress?
    If you do then you've probably got plugins, mods etc that may be out of date or clashing with each other. Turn them all off and check your site speed. Then turn them back on one by one and see if the speed issue kicks in for any particular plugin (or set of plugins, sometimes they're dependant on each other and need to be done together.)

Use developer tools to see if there's any particular file that is causing a bottleneck or a file that can't be loaded at all.
    upload_2021-4-19_18-6-47.png

sarahk, Apr 18, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  7. Elisha Hansen

Elisha Hansen Peon

Best Answers:
    uhg - i'm new to this forum and didnt check the date in the feed - im very sorry for re-upping this. that was not my intention. just wanted to answer some questions that are in the top feed. my bad!

- use static HTML instead of an interpreter like php
    - do not host your website behind your home DSL line but chooose a professional server or cloud provider, and choose a CDN like cloudflare
    - use more than one CPU core and 1 GB RAM for sites with more than 10.000 requests/second

and most importantly give us the information we need to answer your question :p ;)

Elisha Hansen, Mar 17, 2024 IP
  8. WalterChang

WalterChang Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you! Here are some things you can check to diagnose the slowdown and some solutions that might help. Test your website speed: Use tools like Google PageSpeed Insights or GTmetrix to get a detailed report on your website's performance. This will pinpoint areas for improvement. Check your hosting plan, minify code, consider a CDN. Over time, websites accumulate unnecessary files like old plugins or backups. Use a file manager (find out here now) to identify and remove these files to declutter your website and potentially improve performance.

WalterChang, Apr 11, 2024 IP