1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

301 redirects and total loss of rankings

Discussion in 'SEO' started by Med2021, Jan 22, 2021.

Hi,

We had a very old HTML website which now has been redesigned residing on the wordpress platform, the old HTML site had about ten main links in the menu and then approx 250 other HTML pages which we used to target various areas that we service. The issue that I found even after carrying out extensive 301 redirects is that the majority of key words that we was ranking page one on google for have completely lost the rankings.

I have confirmed this by opening an account with Ahref SEO tools. Google search console does not show any areas for the domain name and sitemaps are successfully fetched by Google.

I noticed that when we launched the new wordpress site that we had some rouge posts somehow that would direct people to a torrent website but this was swiftly resolved. My questions are:

1. Would the rouge torrent links cause this sudden drop in rankings?
    2. As we had over 250 old HTML pages targeting local areas, is it necessary for me to use the same content in each one of those 250 pages into the new design, I would hope not as I wouldn't know how to link them all up without it filling the site with a load of content
    3. Could the loss in rankings simply be a temporary drop?

To add I have tested ALL of the old HTML links and they successfully redirect to the new website, which is the same domain.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Med2021, Jan 22, 2021 IP