1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you find yourself using duckduckgo more and more these days?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by JEET, Feb 2, 2020.

Do you find yourself using duckduckgo more and more, or is it just me?

JEET, Feb 2, 2020 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    No, not me. Google only. It's not just about search results anymore, it's the convenience of having everything in one place.

qwikad.com, Feb 3, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that email, file sharing things are at one place, and I also like those, but problem happens when I am trying to find something else and google keeps showing something else...

Like yesterday only, I was looking for some answers on a new API service I was trying to integrate in my website.
    Google showed answers for 2 questions in first attempts itself, but for 2 others, it kept showing me (I don't know what it kept showing)
    Tried varient of keywords, did not mattered. Google kept shuffling the same results...

Then finally I gave up with google and used duckduckgo.
    Little bit work, and I found what I was looking for...

JEET, Feb 3, 2020 IP
  4. Todman2112

Todman2112 Member

Best Answers:
    duckduckgo - first time when I hear about this engine.
    I do it more "classic" - Google. Some results are obviously truncated but so far cant say other engines do it better.

Todman2112, Feb 4, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. chuiuiui

chuiuiui Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm all for using alternatives to Google, but I find the search results of DuckDuck to be a bit lacking in terms of quality. I used to like startpage.com, but their recent switch of investors made their business practices a bit dubious. These days I most often use a searx instance. Results are pretty good (it's a meta search engine after all), but sometimes there are issues with availability and I have to trigger a search process multiple times to get results.

chuiuiui, Mar 2, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. zomex

zomex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would love to find a good Google alternative that actually provides good quality results but I have yet to find one. So unfortunately I'm stuck with Google for now.

zomex, Mar 2, 2020 IP
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    zomex
    Duckduckgo results are almost similar.
    In some cases, slightly better.

The best thing is that they do not mix 2 keywords.
    Google will show almost same result for 2 keywords, if they are slightly similar.

JEET, Mar 2, 2020 IP
  8. exinco

exinco Member

Best Answers:
    me, no. have to explore

exinco, Mar 4, 2020 IP
  9. JackAnderson96

JackAnderson96 Peon

Best Answers:
    I much prefer Google.

JackAnderson96, Mar 16, 2020 IP
  10. Serial Scraper

Serial Scraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer the Duck when scraping for data.
    The main reason for doing so is that they are a lot more relaxed on the number of connections from 1 ip.
    Google is very quick to start throwing captchas at you as soon as you ask too many questions.

Serial Scraper, Oct 28, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  11. Yundc

Yundc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For the last couple of years my site wasn’t ranking well on Google… Today I learnt about the Duck and FMD my site is right up there!! Google can go stick a pole right up its fat corp rear end ….
    The more internet users start using http://duckduckgo.com the free’ier the internet will become (just like it was intended to be)

Yundc, Nov 1, 2020 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I started using DDG when it was new, but their result are more often than not garbage with the entire first page being SEO black hat trash... but more importantly they went and pissed on the entire thing that was supposed to make them better; clean simple well written UI.

It's shite for keyboard navigation, it's shite for semantics, and it's a bloated wreck using 10 times the code needed. It is from an accessibility and efficiency standpoint a bloated mess, even compared to Google's scripttardery.

From the dipshit IE CC nonsense Paul Irish took a dump on the web with, to the lack of media targets wasting time sending screen layout to non-screen media, to the garbage blocking scripts delaying the page-loads, to the broken incomplete forms, to the lack of scripting off graceful degradation... the current incarnation of it is a giant "f*** you" to the audience they were originally trying to capture.

It's hardly a shock that in terms of legitimate traffic they're still somewhere behind Yahoo... and who the **** uses Yahoo anymore?!?

deathshadow, Nov 1, 2020 IP
  13. MayurKawale

MayurKawale Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No... there are lot of algo changes in Google, so there no time to check any other search engine :p

MayurKawale, Dec 30, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  14. brack nelson

brack nelson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used it but no longer in use than Google.

brack nelson, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  15. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    However when a company has so much dominance, they tend to disconnect from the majority, lowing the quality of their search results. I think Google needs more competition so often use other search engines.

Zone06, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  16. uday_yadav2

uday_yadav2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not using duckduckgo currently but this is becoming more popular due to some security / privacy norms.

uday_yadav2, Apr 6, 2021 IP
  17. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The privacy provided by DDG is, methinks, an illusion.

The most negative point about DDG is that google and the main media are singing praises of this news search tool.

If it truly was a real independent search source, there would be no support from them in fact it would be destroyed by them pretty quickly.

Google has been under huge pressure as a virtual monopoly.

Could it be that DDG is there as an "independent " competitor that Google can point to and say, "see, there is this new search engine which is totally independent of us!"

A recent very good browser and search engine called Epic browser was actually independent and was getting hugely popular and then it started getting banned everywhere.
    Finally it gave up and is now using Yahoo as the search source!

I launched an innovative search engine called MSE360.com around 10 years ago.

Had to close down though, as all independent web services not part of the cartel have to.

mytechiestuff, Apr 6, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  18. Hutchison

Hutchison Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DuckDuckGo says it doesn't track you, it doesn't send your searches to other sites, by default it does not use any cookies, it does not collect personal information, it does not log your IP address or other information about your computer that may be sent automatically with your searches, it doesn't store any persona.

Hutchison, Apr 22, 2021 IP
  19. Kaas

Kaas Member

Best Answers:
    I still use it everyday. Also there's a commandline program called ddgr that I use. It can return results in json format.

Kaas, Sep 12, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  20. Đặng Văn Bình

Đặng Văn Bình Member

Best Answers:
    This is my main search engine for personal purposes for over a year now. It's not that I'm obsessed with saving my data. Rather, artificial restrictions that the government creates by forcing blocking in search engines.

Đặng Văn Bình, Sep 12, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.