1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ranking for long-tail keyword, vs. competition with shorter similar KW?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Igor Vst28, Dec 7, 2020.

Hi guys,

How possible is it to get a great ranking (1st page of google search results) for long-tail keyword, if the competition is strong for shorter variation of that keyword?

Example / explanation:

- I'm doing SEO for accommodation website. My plan is to use long-tail keyword, like "best apartments for rent near town_abc", or "best place to stay near town_abc" ... any longer phrase like that. (possibly wider keywords also - like "best family vacation in/near town_abc")
    - The idea is to use that exact long phrase KW (along with its variations) in URL, text, headings & subheadings, alt tags etc (in appropriate / natural way of course, so it fits in the sentences).

If the competition (strong local agency websites + tripadvisor + booking com + airbnb, or popular travel blog sites like lonely planet etc.) is strong and unbeatable on short keywords - like "apartments town_abc", "where to stay in town_abc" ... how likely is it for me, to get to first page for above mentioned long-tail version of keywords?

Is it possible, or the google will always rank those stronger websites above me even for long-tail variation also, regardless of the fact that those big sites don't have that exact long-tail phrase (and its variations) used in their URL, text and subheadings, like I have?

I appreciate any advice and suggestions;
    Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Igor Vst28, Dec 7, 2020 IP
  2. justinmidlet

justinmidlet Member

Best Answers:
    the bast way to know is try, make a post and tell google to index it and then search for the keyword in google

justinmidlet, Dec 8, 2020 IP
  3. tofarch

tofarch Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The Long tail keywords are more beneficiary for ranking the keywords in the backlink. Still this process is one of the best practice of backlink ranking in Google. Also some other factor also work with this.

tofarch, Dec 29, 2020 IP
  4. Harvey Wolf

Harvey Wolf Member

Best Answers:
    The key to long tail keywords is that the search volume has to be good (in the high thousands). If it is and your content is relevant, and you are applying good SEO, then there is no reason Google should not rank your site. It might take time, especially if you site is newer, but you still have a chance to rank.

Harvey Wolf, Feb 3, 2021 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm late to the party here but some feedback on the actual phrase you're planning to use.

Get rid of the word "near" and use "in" when talking about towns and cities.

I'll want an apartment near a concert venue, or a specific place but I'll want one in the town.

I've just been to a music festival in a small city called Taupo.
    I used AirBnB to find somewhere to stay but lets say I used Google.
    I wanted to be in the centre of Taupo, not "near" it, so that we could walk everywhere. I'd use "in Taupo" on the search.
    Or I could have targetted the venue and searched "near Tongariro Domain" which is a lot more explicit

sarahk, Feb 3, 2021 IP
  6. Igor Vst28

Igor Vst28 Peon

Best Answers:
    In my case, the location (the actual town - lets call it T1) is too small, and it has no searches in google.

But a nearby town, T2, has enough searches - that's why I use "best apartments for rent near T2"

Igor Vst28, Feb 4, 2021 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You might do that, but do people actually use that phrase? If not, you're wasting your time.

sarahk, Feb 4, 2021 IP