1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which home security system is the best?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ClarS, Nov 19, 2020.

Hey guys,
    My wife and I recently moved to a new home. My wife was injured a few years back, has trouble with mobility control, and is often bedridden. In our previous apartment, we mostly depended upon some devices such as Alexa, an ADT system, 2 Kevo locks, and a Nest thermostat. These devices allowed her to control mostly everything by voice or her phone/iPad and were very useful.
    The new house is somewhat big and hence presents some possible issues. With its five exterior doors, five bedrooms, and the usual assortment of living spaces, she will have a lot to keep track of and control. So we are thinking of upgrading the home security features. I recently heard of a video verification system that comes with the home security package, that would be an added advantage to my partially bedridden wife, Alarm-i security providers offers this. Could you guys please provide some personal experiences or recommendations on home security systems? I mostly would prefer security providers with a video verification system.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ClarS, Nov 19, 2020 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I shed the major outfits over a year ago and switched to SimpliSafe. I picked an older package - I think on Amazon. SimpliSafe markets a newer system now.

One thing I like about it is I buy the equipment and have options of adding components that I feel that I need and not a setup that a company wants to push on me.

I'm not real familiar with the newer system so I don't know exactly what components are available but I do recommend the company.

Check out their website to see what they have.

And tell them JoeSpirit sent you. They don't know who the Hell I am anyway...

JoeSpirit, Nov 19, 2020 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We have a very old system (almost 30 years old) that was put in by the previous owner. It was one company until it was bought by ADT. It is okay, but not great but this likely has no relevance to their current products. My daughter recently got a SimpliSafe system for her new house and she seems to really like it, so I echo @JoeSpirit in that regard.

jrbiz, Nov 20, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had ADT until I decided to go with a lower cost option. I had the system for some years installed by a different company (Monitronics I think). ADT bought them out. My contract with the original company had expired long before that. ADT's policy was that you have to send written notice to cancel the service.

I did that and they merely continued to debit my account with no acknowledgement of my cancellation. (I might add that I sent that notice by registered mail, signature required so I know they received it.)

I simply contacted my bank and put a stop to their withdrawals. They started billing me. I called them and they tried to intimidate me into continuing the service. At my age intimidation is just a challenge for me to get obnoxious... I said I have the signature of receipt for my written cancellation notice and that they would get no further payments from me. Their rep even had the audacity to tell me I had to continue paying until my contract ran out. I responded that I never had a contract with his company. I've not heard anything since.

I might add that lately I've been getting phone calls from ADT and others with offers of alarm system installation. As soon as I mention SimpliSafe they hang up.

JoeSpirit, Nov 27, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.