1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Internet forums are dead now, aint it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gyahoo, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Daniel-MD

Daniel-MD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's a nice debate here. I am a forum's advocate so my opinion may be biased still here are some points I consider relevant:

- Forums took a big hit when Facebook groups appeared, however, now most of the Fb groups I participate in are filled with selling SPAM or dead (the notifications from groups are not getting less importance)
    - There are still several big forums that get plenty of traffic if they are getting advertised (take BHW and DP for instance). A forum is not a business you can run on autopilot
    - Also, there are niches where anonymity is important (quit smoking, quit drinking, sexual fantasies etc) and forums in this niches are growing well
    - Forums should not fight social networks but rather leverage them (create a Fb page and a group and then drive users to the forum)
    - If anyone considers starting a forum should do it in a niche that is new and there are not many competitors (think cryptocurrency 2 years ago, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality etc)

Daniel-MD, Sep 30, 2018 IP
  2. Chinii

Chinii Peon

Best Answers:
    Majority of forums are pretty much dead. Most forums nowadays that are really active are on video games.

Chinii, Oct 18, 2018 IP
    Johnny Mnemonic likes this.
  3. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People got many other online activities to spend time compared to 5-10 years ago. But forums still make a fundamental role. Specially those directed to a specific niche.

mike30, Oct 18, 2018 IP
  4. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think a forum is dead when the marketplace and general chat are the sections receiving the most posts. As mentioned already, active forums serve as a community. It is hard to manage forums however. I was a moderator on a forum that went down - it was disheartening. Let alone losing all those backlinks I accumulated. I felt betrayed/let down by the forum - even though that's just life.

davilama2682, Sep 22, 2020 IP
  5. NicoleW

NicoleW Member

Best Answers:
    It`s because we have so much alternatives now

NicoleW, Sep 23, 2020 IP
    Johnny Mnemonic and Spoiltdiva like this.
  6. Angelina Dean

Angelina Dean Peon

Best Answers:
    People right now are very active on social media platforms these days, but I still find forums a good source for seeking advice from other people.

Angelina Dean, Sep 23, 2020 IP
  7. NicoleW

NicoleW Member

Best Answers:
    I think it`s a great place to start, to get some new skills and to be a part of the cool community

NicoleW, Sep 24, 2020 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @NicoleW as you illustrate, a forum is what you make of it. Some believe that forums are in the ICU on a ventilator, right now. Others, find ways to still get value from them.

jrbiz, Sep 24, 2020 IP
    NicoleW likes this.
  9. mmead95

mmead95 Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried to consider as a software developer how it could be a medium that blends the ease of Discord with the more in-depth discussions allowed by forums, but I refused to accept that forums are gone and they will never return too soon, so I began to abandon several of the broad interest-based chat groups I entered in 2016-2018 trying to find the camaraderie of forums again.

mmead95, Nov 8, 2020 IP
  10. Vladesq

Vladesq Peon

Best Answers:
    I can`t say because on forums it`s a close community.

Vladesq, Nov 9, 2020 IP
  11. YujinTan

YujinTan Member

Best Answers:
    surprise no body mention Reddit?

YujinTan, Dec 1, 2020 IP
  12. Rome Chic

Rome Chic Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly.

But now I'm trying to do something old-school. Registering a forum account is the first one.

Rome Chic, Dec 1, 2020 IP
  13. Xrp

Xrp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think the interaction on forums are better compared to threads on facebook groups. I hope this forum gets busy again! as this was one of the best forums to learn and meet new people in IM before

Xrp, Dec 5, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  14. fencerstars

fencerstars Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Forums are still useful nowadays. Some are active but sadly, a few are already dead. Most people prefer to use a faster way to exchange ideas so they get into social media. That is brought by technological change.

But still forums are helpful even if change is the only constant thing.

fencerstars, Dec 15, 2020 IP
  15. Stock broker

Stock broker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Forums are great of searchable content and support. I personally wouldn't start a forum in 2020, i would use reddit community, even discord is very popular now for chat base.

Stock broker, Dec 16, 2020 IP
  16. Johnny Mnemonic

Johnny Mnemonic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ironically, I came across this thread on Google while looking up people's rants about how they believe web forums are dead. And I have to agree, sadly.

Once 2023 is up, I'm going to be done with forums for good. I have unfortunately noticed that they have dipped in activity apart from NeoGAF (where some tosser banned me ages ago), making being a contributor feel rather pointless, to be honest.

It feels like I'm talking to myself most of the time these days. Because I posted a lot of threads on this site and several other forums recently, but now I find that the lack of activity is so very low, that it's actually ended up feeling like a bigger waste of time than ever before. Now I feel like I'd rather just watch movies, or play a game if I can be bothered.

Johnny Mnemonic, Nov 18, 2023 IP
    mike30 likes this.
  17. demoel

demoel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even though some old friends rarely show up. I occasionally look at the forum perhaps there are new ideas and insights, and even hope that there will be more business here like the forum's heyday some years ago.
    Those who have new knowledge and new business share here
    automatically forum back to life.

demoel, Nov 18, 2023 IP
  18. Johnny Mnemonic

Johnny Mnemonic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I cannot speak for this forum, but all the major gaming forums I know of are worthless today. The only really actives ones are NeoGAF and GameFAQs. It's just a pity the people in charge on NeoGAF are too cutthroat with their bannings, because I didn't think it was too bad there.

However, while GameFAQs is frequented by more members, and is therefore full of activity, the poor moderation allows for flaming to go on there. As a result of this sort of nonsense, I closed several accounts because myself and other users would end up being mocked, or the threads would be derailed. Or they would accuse newbies of having multiple aliases. There just isn't enough nice people lurking on that site, so I stopped going there.

I was posting on JoyFreak and several others. I do sometimes receive a response. But JoyFreak has too many bots, and it's used more like a news article site, to be honest. So it's the same situation where the lack of activity just made me throw in the towel.

A lot of people gathered a long time ago that message boards are dead, apart from Reddit and Quora, so they likely just stick to using Discord, X and YouTube nowadays.

Johnny Mnemonic, Nov 18, 2023 IP
  19. jackjns12

jackjns12 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think forums are no longer as relevant as they used to be.

jackjns12, Nov 26, 2023 IP
  20. smcnally5

smcnally5 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Forums can be reanimated.

smcnally5, Nov 26, 2023 IP