1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Solutions for bad traffic?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Jin2, Jul 17, 2020.

I have issues with bad traffic (mostly bad actors and bad robots) and I waste a lot of time banning proxies, but it seems like there is no end to it.

I am looking for alternate solutions such as IP filters or phone verification.
    Huge IP filters can have a dramatic impacts on performance so it would have to be an external service.
    ipqualityscore has a proxy filtering service but it's extremely expensive (500$ for 500K queries)
    I haven't found much info about phone verification service and its implementation or price.

I would appreciate any info or experience about the topic. Thank you.

Jin2, Jul 17, 2020 IP
  2. IMDaniel

IMDaniel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used to have that problem but I solved it with some plugins.
    If you use WordPress you can install Blackhole for Bad Bots or Cloudflare. Cloudflare offers security against vulnerability and bot traffic.

IMDaniel, Jul 23, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. LewisH95

LewisH95 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Separate from rate-limiting and direct engineer intervention, the easiest and most effective way to stop bad bot traffic is with a bot management solution. A bot management solution can leverage intelligence and use behavioral analysis to stop malicious bots before they ever reach a website.
    Instead, use the suggestions and tips below to learn what you can do to avoid dangerous sites and guard your safety online.
    Use a Web Filter.
    Don't Guess the Address of a Website.
    Check the URL for Issues.
    Never Open Questionable Sites.
    If It Looks Unreal, It Probably Is.
    Choose Your Searches Carefully.
    Use a Link Scanner.

LewisH95, Jul 24, 2020 IP
  4. Jin2

Jin2 Member

Best Answers:
    It's not just a bad robot problem, it's also a bad actors problem, and bad actors can be as much a threat as bad robots for bigger sites. And the one thing bad actors and bad robots share is the use of open proxies/vpn.

Anyway, I have found an interesting link that might help. A list of bad ASN created by people who clearly had similar problem to mine.

https://github.com/brianhama/bad-asn-list

The list is 3 years old sadly, so I recommend to verify it carefully before using it. You can then use a firewall to filter bad ASN. Blocking proxies at the ASN level is the most efficient protection I can think of, sadly I can't think of a more simple and manageable way.

Jin2, Sep 25, 2020 IP
  5. Denised

Denised Peon

Best Answers:
    Nowadays many people today the solutions for bad traffic are tiktok...

Denised, Oct 8, 2020 IP
  6. enous

enous Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use cleantalk, it blocks tons of junk comments.

enous, Oct 10, 2020 IP
  7. Jin2

Jin2 Member

Best Answers:
    Once again I must stress the point here is not to block only robots, but also human bad actors.
    Bad actors can be a bigger threat to a website than bad robots.
    I've heard a famous streaming website blocks all VPN, so there must be solutions out there to block all VPN.
    I know it's not possible to block 100% of VPNs because new VPN are created every day, including in private residences, but if I could block at least 95% that would be good enough. My goal is to make it a chore to find an IP that works.

So please share any anti VPN solution you know about, I personally haven't had much luck with a google search.

Jin2, Nov 3, 2020 IP
  8. Yundc

Yundc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Through cloudflare firewall rules can to prevent bad traffic from agents, robots, and low ratings.

Yundc, Nov 4, 2020 IP