1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proofreader, proof.reader, proof'reader or proof reader?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Aug 13, 2020.

I graduated from La Sorbonne in Paris, France (Pantheon) well over 20 years ago. There I received my masters. (Ateliers de conversation-L'Anglais en master-Master BI) I studied English, German and Spanish. But that was a long time ago.

I was informed today by a student who is in university studying English that in "modern English" the subject word is one word these days and is to be spelt as "proofreader". This is not what I was taught so very long ago.

So what do you brilliant writers have to say about it? How is it to be spelt, is the American way different than the British or Canadian? What say you, how do you spell it? As a non native speaker of English I would really like to know what is what with the spelling/writing of this word(s). One ought to never want to stop learning...true?

P.S. Yet another form of this word is a hyphenated version which is written as "proof-reader".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Aug 13, 2020 IP
    Ayoub benali01 likes this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've been surprised by some of the Grammarly suggestions about changing two words into a single word.

My thoughts are that in the early days you might have been a writer with a task to proof read, and over time that has evolved from a task into a complete job with a whole new word to describe it.

sarahk, Aug 13, 2020 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There you have it, 2 words completely separate. This is what I posted today as my choice also, but was corrected and politely chastised as well.

Spoiltdiva, Aug 13, 2020 IP
  4. Ayoub benali01

Ayoub benali01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    True, if I recall my grammar lessons, let's go back way to the basics to the parts of speech, we have two categories:
    1-Open Class Words: Which accepts new members, it's consisted of verbs, nouns, adjectives, and adverbs.
    2-Closed Class Words( or System in some books): This class doesn't accept new members, like articles, prepositions, pronouns, determiners, conjunctions, and so on.
    For instance, now we have the verb "To Google," which years ago did not exist, as our contemporary world is always in a state of advancement who knows what new words we may tackle in the future!

Ayoub benali01, Aug 14, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So true and to the point. You have given us something to chew on. (Don't you just love these American colloquialisms?)

Spoiltdiva, Aug 14, 2020 IP
  6. Ayoub benali01

Ayoub benali01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    LOL, sure I do!

Ayoub benali01, Aug 14, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.