1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Blog post: Minimalism in Web Development

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Anveto, Jul 19, 2020.

Do you think minimalism for not only design but also for the amount of code is important in web development today? I wrote an article arguing for less frameworks and more simple websites. What do you think?

Article: https://gophp.io/minimalism-in-web-development/

Anveto, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I did not read your article. However, less code = faster pages. Since most frameworks crap out ten times more code than is needed their pages oftentimes are slower than molasses.

One of the criteria Google et alia uses is how fast a page loads. Slower loading pages are penalized by them. That reason alone speaks for trashing of most frameworks.

mmerlinn, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    Anveto likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I would argue that the serverside framework provides more value than the clientside frameworks. You get best practice security, data handling, API & WebSockets etc.
    So you do see value in serverside frameworks?

Clientside: Jquery and Bootstrap

You missed an opportunity to delve into jquery, bootstrap and the other contenders. Bootstrap drives a particular style of presentation. The underlying philosophy is amazing - I should be able to switch out any bootstrap theme for another and my site will look as it should with no extra effort. That both get bloated and misused reflects more on the user community and lack of education than on the underlying intentions.

Big companies can afford to have components of their sites built from scratch but they don't like to invest in training and they want to hire people who are work-ready. By using bootstrap etc they have a skillset they can hire easily.

Small companies and individuals can't afford completely bespoke websites and don't (always) have the skills inhouse, or the time, to build their own. A ready-made template or a builder like divi makes it possible to have a professional online presence.

sarahk, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    Anveto likes this.
  4. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the feedback! You make some very valid points and there are some things I should definitely be clearer about in my article. I didn't want to say that frameworks are completely unnecessary but I think we should really stop and think about when the right time to use them is. I love jQuery and bootstrap but even here there are times when you do not need them, I have seen websites import all of bootstrap but basically only using some of the form elements.

You make a good point about businesses and the time that is needed. I don't blame them for picking the easy way to get the highest ROI but I wish the people who make templates or tools like divi focused more on reducing dependencies and bloat. My hope is that we will see a higher demand for simplicity as it would make it easier to protect user data and make the web better. Today we tend to have too many dependencies to keep track of and I think that's heading for disaster.

I work in healthcare where we have to really review third party libraries. I see that the rest of the industry is running into the same issues we have been dealing with for years and I therefore think that a push towards minimalism in code is the right way to go.

Anveto, Jul 20, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and sarahk like this.