1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need advice for blog layout

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Rob Binnion, Jul 19, 2020.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I need help improving the look of my basic website blog. It is at https://www.nicetiming.com

Currently it uses a softaculous platform called flatpress. It is fine, but I don't think it allows me to change colours or add my own header jpg.

Should I go for basic html, or get a wordpress theme? If a wp theme, how do I find one simple enough that looks like my site but allows a custom header?

Solved! View solution.
    Rob Binnion, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    Okay first of all, I like the simple design.

First of all, I really don't know anything about Flatpress and I know most things about WordPress so my advice is biased.

I will advice you go with WordPress. You can find a lot of free themes that meet your specs. You can also find cheap themes on Themeforest. Note that Paid themes give you much much more control over the appearance of your website.

Efetobor Agbontaen, Jul 19, 2020 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can definitely mess with the template if you want to, see https://wiki.flatpress.org/doc:thememinihowto - they use the smarty templating engine which is quite easy to use and well documented even if flatpress isn't.

Before you go starting over I'd want to know a few things about your aspirations
    • is this just a place to post random thoughts, photos, and poetry?
    • do you need it to earn revenue?
    • what coding skills do you have?
    • what coding skills are you prepared to learn?
    I was on a FB thread tonight about adventure motorcycling and a guy was being all high and mighty about being able to do all your own repairs. My view is that might be great, but don't let any lack of mechanical expertise keep you at home, make a start and you'll pick up skills along the way.

Your blogging adventure may well be similar. If you persevere with flatpress and decide to change later it won't be much harder than doing it now.

sarahk, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    kk5st likes this.