1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are .press domains harder to rank in search engines?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ked85, Jun 15, 2020.

Hi guys, a few months back I was told by an SEO agency that my site would never rank well because I only posted content once a week (even though they are long form and well research articles). They said . PRESS domains are expected to upload content very often since google consideres them to be news sites. I haven't been able to find any data on this so far, is this really the case? Thanks in advance

Solved! View solution.
    ked85, Jun 15, 2020 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I disagree with them. A fan of bodybuilding may choose chest.press (by the way it's still available) and use it to promote his/her exercising routines. Or someone may promote their YT videos under hydrolic.press (also available), etc. etc. does it mean those people can never rank high? I doubt it. The search engines are mostly concerned with the content and not with the domain name per se.

qwikad.com, Jun 15, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Time to get a new SEO agency.

Agent000, Jun 15, 2020 IP
    Saputnik, qwikad.com and sarahk like this.
  4. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that SEO agency simply want to take some additional cent for contents writing for your website and so he is suggesting that its very tough work and no one can promote like us ..... They are trying to convenience you ...... Weekly one contents on site is not bad .... Just need to market your site and your contents in starting.

Try to get few high quality backlinks ..... and if you are creating contents then simply try to submit them (unique only) in some popular and high DA sites for free to get attention of search engines ....... there are many ways to promote any types of sites.

In short ... manage unique and informative contents ....... try to get always high quality backlinks ...... You will get good ranking slowly or fast (Depend on your works).

seomanualsubmission, Jun 16, 2020 IP
  5. ked85

ked85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies guys. So just our of curiosity I decided to ask them again ( I had found them on Fiverr, theyre a level 2 with loads of great reviews). The said its better to export to a .com, but they can give .press a shot. They recommended hiring a two month dedicated SEO service with them.
    However, when I went onto their profile, SEO is no longer ones of their gigs. They only sell graphic design now. Could this be because they weren't that great with SEO? Im confused.

ked85, Jun 16, 2020 IP
  6. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you are saying that you seen already reviews so can understand easily that he is expert in which field. May be he is providing multiple services for websites like designing, development, promotion etc.. Check his reviews and previous work details and choose provider to promote your website.

seomanualsubmission, Jun 16, 2020 IP
    Having your main keywords in your domain itself, is good, but is certainly not a requirement.
    You can have your keywords anywhere in the URL of the page, not just domain.
    The domain "DMOZ" ranks on top for "SEO". The keyword is in their URLs, and nowhere in their domain.

(dot)PRESS domains is a niche for freelance journalists, editorials etc, that is not wrong. Its a general TLD for that niche. There are no special requirements to register a (dot)PRESS domain.
    It means that anyone can have a (dot)PRESS domain, without being a journalist.
    Whether this is a "news" website or not, that google will decide based on the content it finds on this domain.

So, it will be harder to rank it because of "low frequency" of new content, that is completely wrong.

Half of what we know about SEO is pure assumptions, "myths" would be a much better word.

However, you will need lot of "total content" if you want any serious rankings in google.
    Not talking about frequency of new content, but total amount of pages on your website.
    Minor ranks, small traffic between 50 to 200 uniques a month, that will happen even on small sites, but if you want serious traffic from search engines, then consider having lots lots lots of content.
    This is not just for (dot)PRESS domains. Its a general requirement for "any" TLD.

Nobody knows how much content, but I have never seen a website rank on first page of google, for a below-average-strong keyword, which had less than 200 pages with the following search:
    "site:domain.tld"

"domain.tld" is your domain name, like "canada.com" or "canada.press" etc.

Remember, "site:domain.tld" will "not" show "all" pages google indexed for that site.
    It shows around 10% to 15% only.

So if that search is returning "200 pages found", then this website has over 2000 to 3000 pages at "least".
    Real data is made available to site owners only, in webmaster tools.

The stronger your keyword becomes, the more amount of content required to keep the website up in ranks.

What is the niche you are going for, what is your domain, and what are the keywords you are targetting?

JEET, Jun 16, 2020 IP
    seomanualsubmission likes this.
  8. ked85

ked85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jeet, the total pages concept does make sense.
    I ran a search of my site to see the total pages and there are actually quite a few, so not sure what im actually doing wrong.

The site is https://www.yogi.press

I obviously dont have 2000 to 3000 pages, it would take me years to develop so many posts, is it really necessary to have that many to be able to get decent traffic?

Regards!

ked85, Jun 18, 2020 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is the keyword you are going for with this website?
    Who searches for "yogi"?
    People do search for Yoga, Ayurveda, health, home medicine, etc etc, and neither is in your domain. I don't know why you took this domain...
    Yoga and Yogi are 2 "completely" different terms, according to google.
    Do a search for those 2 words separately, see what you get...
    You are targeting "yoga" niche, using the "yogi" niche keyword...

Other keyword in your domain is "press".
    Again, nobody searches for that either...
    People do search for "news", "top", "hot" etc etc...
    Like, "top yoga tips", or "hot yoga tips", etc
    Who will do a search for "yoga press"...

So, your domain name will not contribute in your ranks, that much is almost given.
    It is a short and easy to remember domain, that works in your favour.
    Highlight the domain name in your logo, and help people remember it when they come to your website.
    You do have decent number of pages, and with "very highly targeted" keywords, this much is good enough.

However, when you will try to move broader, the competition in "yoga" niche is immense.
    Some of the very known names, media houses, those are ranking on top in this niche, millions of webpages in their websites.
    Youtube Videos that are ranking in google, those channels have over 5 million subscribers, again very tough to beat.

Get backlinks. lots and lots and lots of them.
    Focus your marketing efforts on social sites instead of google search.
    That will give better results.

JEET, Jun 18, 2020 IP