1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SpaceX's first astronaut launch TODAY!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qwikad.com, May 27, 2020.

If everything goes well, I'll be watching it from our backyard. We've watched all latest launches from our backyard. It's pretty far off, still it's an amazing experience (esp. at night).

https://autos.yahoo.com/spacexs-first-astronaut-launch-launch-131100297.html

I like their spacesuits. Look futuristic. Reminds me of Star Trek.

3410e03484a84deeb9708928e1f8d644.jpg

Tune in at 4 something PM EST. The launch is at 4:33 PM.

Watch it live on YT:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    qwikad.com, May 27, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Pretty cool. Commercial initiatives are certainly the future of space travel.

jrbiz, May 27, 2020 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oops. Postponed until Saturday, now. Lightning storm.

jrbiz, May 27, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, the postponement reminded me of a conversation I had with one of my customers back in the 1980's. He was a pretty high level engineering manager at NASA. He mentioned that NASA never wanted to launch the Space Shuttle from FL because of the weather and other issues. They wanted to launch and land at Edwards AFB in California. However, there was a powerful FL senator on the relevant Senate committee and he could not tolerate CA getting the nod over the "Sunshine State" due to weather because it would be bad for Florida's image from a tourism perspective. So, they ended up launching from FL, but they had to land at Edwards AFB out of sheer necessity. The Space Shuttle basically had no engines powered when returning from orbit (it glided to a landing) so it could not abort once committed to re-entry no matter the weather that sprung up. Edwards AFB has very stable, predictable weather, of course. So, because of politics, the Space Shuttle would land in CA and then be strapped to the back of a 747 to take it back to the launchpad in FL. Not only did this dramatically increase costs and logistics complexity, but it certainly contributed to the deaths of the Challenger astronauts, as well. The notorious O-rings that failed were determined to have frozen overnight on the FL launchpad (temp's dipped below freezing) and that contributed to their failure that led to the deadly explosion. Temperatures never get that low at Edwards AFB, of course.

jrbiz, May 28, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    OK, let's hope it's going to be for real this time. It's at 3:22 EST.

qwikad.com, May 30, 2020 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like a go!

jrbiz, May 30, 2020 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Really cool having cameras inside the cockpit. However, I am surprised at how smooth the ride seems to be for the astronauts. Was expecting a lot of vibration and shaking.

jrbiz, May 30, 2020 IP
  8. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    I was hoping to take a video from my backyard, but the clouds were dark and heavy, couldn't see a thing. @jrbiz I too thought about how little the shaking was. Musk's engineers thought of that part of the flight too. It's a small capsule, looks like they are going to spend 19 hours confined to that tiny space before heading home.

qwikad.com, May 30, 2020 IP
  9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    I didn't realize that it would be docking the ISS. Happening live right now:

qwikad.com, May 31, 2020 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, they are expected to stay there for 1-4 months, depending on how things go.

jrbiz, May 31, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.