1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is your oldest website that you still own and is still online?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JEET, May 9, 2020.

Which is your oldest website that you still own and is still online?

Give a small description of the website, and its URL.

JEET, May 9, 2020 IP
  2. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My oldest is 7 years, still exists. General fitness and workout routine website. sworkoutroutines.com

Zone06, May 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My oldest with its own domain is about 13 years old. Has over 14000 pages. Looks UGLY. Pays all of my bills. http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm

Oldest on a free domain (tripod.com) is decades old. Not sure when I put it up, but I think around 1997 or so. Similar to above, but with only 10 pages or so. Still pushes sales my way though I have not updated it in over a decade.

mmerlinn, May 9, 2020 IP
    JV35 and JEET like this.
  4. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My oldest is 9 years old!
    http://esbe.in
    esbe is the brain child of me and my sister. What started off as a passion project in 2010, gradually fertilized into becoming a brand, an identity. Every product we create ranging from Shoes, T-shirts, Onesies, Passport Covers, Caps, Cushions and much more is handpainted with utmost love and attention to detail.

pratik, May 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No offence, but that site does look like it was developed in 13 years ago!
    Curious as to how does it make you pay your bills?

pratik, May 9, 2020 IP
  6. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    If I were going to take offense, I would have NOT said that it is ugly and NOT have posted the link. The tripod version is even UGLIER, but no point in fixing that which is NOT BROKEN.

Google indexes my site so well that, according to Google, my AVERAGE position in the SERPs is at position 8 on the FIRST page when someone searches for something that is on my site. That means that a LOT of searches land me in the FIRST position, and according to some of my customers sometimes they see THREE different links to my website on the SAME Google results page. Further, according to Google, my click through rate runs about 12% which is considerably higher than the normal 3% rate.

That said, people break their transmissions. They need parts to fix those transmissions. They call me. I sell them parts. They fix their transmissions. They are happy. I am happy. NONE OF US CARES WHAT THE WEBSITE LOOKS LIKE.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    mmerlinn, May 9, 2020 IP
    JEET, qwikad.com and malky66 like this.
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @mmerlinn
    Those projected highs and lows is something for fun, or is that based on something real?
    Your website is very well categorized, I have to say.
    I don't know much about cars or transmissions, but could still figure out what your website is about!

@pratik
    Very nice concept of hand painting t-shirts and shoes. You should market this website of yours more. I think this could do a lot good for you. Setup fb pages for this and market it there.

JEET, May 9, 2020 IP
  8. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean about 'projected highs and lows.' If you are talking about the Google numbers etc. those are ACTUAL numbers from Google Webmaster Tools (by whatever name it currently goes by).

Edit: I just figured out what you meant. Those projections are REAL numbers to watch. I don't expect to be alive then, so I won't actually see them come to pass. That said, I have done this three times before (for 1997, 2008, & 2019) and was EXACTLY on the money to the DAY and to the SEVERITY of the downturn YEARS in advance for the first two. The 2019 was ACCURATE but the Fed through a spanner in the works in September 2019 by using helicopter money BEFORE the downturn instead of AFTER the downturn as it had done for a hundred years. So, instead of having a crash in October 2019 which we would be PAST by now, we get one in 2020 that may last for YEARS.

Thank you. On average I update/add 200 pages per day. I started off in 2007 with ZERO pages and today 13 years later I have over 14000 pages, many of which have been updated THOUSANDS of times.

Try that with Turdpress, Bootcrap, or any other pile of manure available ANYWHERE.

At the bottom of each page is the date of the last update for that page.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    mmerlinn, May 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jeet,
    Yes I am focusing full time on it! Already have a good following on Instagram and Facebook pages. Planning to expand it further.

pratik, May 13, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @pratik
    You are already ranking for your keyword "hand painted shoes India", also try to go for "hand crafted shoes India", or for "custom made shoes india".
    Last one can bring lot of "new" traffic to your website.
    Try changing some text in your website to "custom made hand painted shoes" (mixed versions). Stick the word "India" here and there 1-3 times not more.
    "Custom made shoes" is a very competitive keyword though, ranking won't come easy...

JEET, May 13, 2020 IP
  11. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have the oldest one is 12 years old, one is 11. It's sad that my younger websites are almost dead

mrdo, May 13, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @mrdo
    Same here. My younger websites are also pretty much empty, barely pulling any traffic, although a lot of that is because I am not finding any time to promote them anywhere...

JEET, May 13, 2020 IP
    mrdo likes this.
  13. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEMRush reports the monthly organic search traffic is 27, on the US database. Criticize wordpress all you want, but the fact is, many of the highest traffic websites are built on wordpress.

Zone06, May 14, 2020 IP
  14. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have an old site on Tripod- think it still works- from way back in 1998.

scurvy, May 14, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  15. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Zone06
    Those "high traffic" websites you are talking about, ask them how much they have customized wordpress themselves to cut out all the jibber that regular wp installation was throwing.
    Also check the version of wp those sites are using.

JEET, May 14, 2020 IP
  16. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a wordpress site which is in the top 1% in terms of traffic, a competitor site, also on wordpress gets 10 times the traffic, which seems to be due to being around longer with a higher domain authority. As long as your host is good, and they are optimized they run quickly. Could be wrong, but I have not seen any evidence to suggest that the platform hinders a website just because it has a few extra lines of code.

I had a problem with one of the sites loading slow. Support blamed it on the site not being optimized, changed the host, no longer a problem.

Zone06, May 15, 2020 IP
  17. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What is the meaning of "in top 1% in terms of traffic..."
    1% of what?
    What is daily uniques on this site of yours?

Who was your previous host, and who is it now?

I think your problem went away not because of host, but because of 2 other reasons:
    1. Server load on new host is already less, less number of sites hosted on it, more resources are free to process your site.
    2. Number of allowed connections are set to a higher value on this server. (maxRequestWorkers for Apache)

As soon as your new host puts more sites on the server, you will start facing the same problem again.

JEET, May 15, 2020 IP
  18. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just short of 1000 uniques per-day, Alexa rank is within the top 1%.

Those 2 reasons are issues with the host. Was hosted on godaddy which is known to be slow, should of researched before hand, now moved to hosting24. The 2 sites in my sig are on the same host.

Zone06, May 15, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  19. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Zone06
    1000 uniques a day is not high traffic my friend. Still I'm happy that your wp is holding till at least that much.
    Godaddy does stuffs many websites on one server, on their shared hosting, but other hosts are not that different.

JEET, May 15, 2020 IP
  20. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Considering the average business website gets 1000 per month, it still beats most. Plus as I said there is a competitor which gets around 7000 to 10000 or more visits per day hosted on a wordpress site. Plus its speed rating comes in low. Content and domain authority wins, as long as the website loads in reasonable time.

I have noticed a big difference in those two hosts, plus the new one is also cheaper.

Zone06, May 15, 2020 IP