1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ideas Needed: unorthodox burglar alarms!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sarahk, Dec 21, 2006.

Now, before we get rottweilers patrolling and stuff like that, here's the situation.

We have a BMX race track in a rough part of town, hidden out the back of some council land with shared facilities.

Our lockups are 2 20ft shipping containers and a couple of wooden huts.

On Sunday night thugs used gas axes to break into the shipping containers and cut the locks on the huts. We didn't find out until Monday evening and we left well after 9pm after securing them. One of our guys returned on his way to work the following morning and found they'd returned after we'd left. Hmmm, thanks and Merry Xmas guys! Like we don't all have enough to do, and the club runs on the smell of an oily rag at the best of times.

So, we need to hook up some sort of burglar alarm to one (but preferably both) containers (the huts never have stuff in them, the cut locks are annoying but not the end of the world).

Someone has suggested that we get burglar alarms that will trigger a cellphone to call one of the committee (ie me ;)). We can probably source a second hand pad, sensors etc and have access to pre-paid cell phones. (We can't justify the expense of a normal phone line, even with a toll bar). Once notified we could have a club member on site within 10 minutes. Not the best response time but it could be the difference between losing club bikes, helmets and stock or not.

I talked very briefly to a guy in the business today and he said it wasn't recommended. He didn't have time to hear the full story and the "not recommended" option may turn out to be the best.

So, I was wondering, has anyone here solved this security problem using this technique? or has any other suggestions?

I'd be really interested in your feedback.

thanks

Sarah

Attached Files:

sarahk, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  2. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummmmm ... first, that suckssss!

No easy solution to this one - remote location and determined bad guys. One idea might be a hidden security camera with the hope that you will catch them on video ... but that entails a bit of cost ... and if they look around, they might find it and smash that.

How 'bout the low-tech solution - put a whole bunch of signs saying "surviellance camera's" in operation and auto-alarms to the police - i.e. make it "look" like you have it rigged to the nine's ... after all, you ideally want to discourage vandalism from happening in the first place.

hulkster, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:

the camera is only about $80, it's the gear you hook it up that costs - as you'd be very well aware!

The signs may be a great first step. We'll do that.

sarahk, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  4. netnow22

netnow22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out X10.com, they have affordable solutions

netnow22, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. erdubya

erdubya Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as the security camera thing... you might want to look into getting a motion detecting camera. They're not that expensive and could be well worth the $$...

I have a friend who uses it for hunting/tracking game and it works for him. Now it won't stop the burglary (hell nothing will)... but atleast you'll have a hi-res picture to hand over to the police if they steal your stuff!

erdubya, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  6. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I bought some of these shipping containers and the seller welded a heavy U shaped piece of steel over the lock area. You could reach in with your hand to unlock them, but you couldn't reach the lock with a bolt cutter and it would take serious work to break the shield loose. Maloy Storage 505-344-6123 (Albuquerque) would probably tell you how they do it.

mhdoc, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I know what you mean - but the kit they used to hack into the other two would work just as well on those covers.

That x10 site had some seriously good ideas!

sarahk, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  8. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Very nice track Sarah! My sons were heavy into BMX and when we relocated here about eleven years ago, there was no track, so my wife and I rented land and built one so they could continue on with the sport. We no longer operate it, we turned it over to another family and over the years, has changed hands a few times, but always kept going.

I would consider an inexpensive system that is triggered by motion sensors and wired to sirens and flashing lights. Not being a crook myself, I'd think most don't want to be around with lights flashing and sirens going off to mark their presence.

Whatever you go with, I feel your pain. We had an SUV and always hauled our computer equipment and valuables home after practice/races, but we had some breakins a few times.

GTech, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    sarahk likes this.