1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help Installing Wordpress on GoDaddy Hosting

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by CactusWren, May 2, 2020.

Just wondering if I'm doing something spectacularly wrong here.

A client wants a site on his GoDaddy hosting account. After struggling through the GoDaddy menus for a while, I found Plesk and created an add-on domain with his desired .com. Then I used the add installer to install Wordpress on the address.

And basically nothing works. I have installed and deleted about five times. What happens is I can get the basic site up, but no themes or plugins can be correctly installed. Whenever I try to install a theme, I get Upload Failed. Yet sometimes it still seems to work... Elementor would not be installed. OceanWP, my desired theme, doesn't work at all.

Believe me, I have spent hours with support. They've been patient, if slow, but essentially ineffectual. The last person I chatted with said something about "third party themes" being a problem and that they'd need to change the settings on Php and folders in order for them to work. When I asked her for a list of themes that would work, she sent me two links. Of course, OceanWP was the 2nd theme on the list. And anyway, I tried about 15 and all of them gave me the Upload Failed message.

None of this is remotely acceptable. I need to import a demo and I need to use a real theme for this site. My personal stuff is on SiteGround and nothing like this has ever happened.

To sum up: Is this the normal thing for GoDaddy hosting, or is there some setting or thing that could salvage it? Basically, I want normal functioning Wordpress.

Solved! View solution.
    CactusWren, May 2, 2020 IP
  2. kayceehr

kayceehr Member

Best Answers:
    Did You upload wordpress zip file to hosting and installed it or You used hosting installation of wordpress

kayceehr, May 2, 2020 IP
  3. CactusWren

CactusWren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used the plesk Wordpress installation app.

https://wordpress.org/download/ download here latest version, upload to server, unzip and install, then try to install some theme or plugin

kayceehr, May 2, 2020 IP
  5. CactusWren

CactusWren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Uh, wow that totally worked. First time I ever did a manual install, so it was a good learning experience. Everything works now. It's completely different from GoDaddy's Plesk installer app!

6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For a client, and you don't even know how to do a manual installation of wordpress, contacting godaddy support for days, Nice!
    I don't use wordpress, have not in 10 years, so I don't know exact steps you'd need, but try the following:
    1. Change folder permission of themes folder to 777
    2. Change folder permission of plugins folder to 777

If still does not works, then download the config.php (or something like that) file to your computer.
    Download zip from wordpress site, unzip.
    Replace the config.php with the file you downloaded from godaddy.
    Upload everything to root folder, place where index.php is
    set folder permissions to 777 (themes, plugins, any other needed)

I think wordpress needs you to have a writable .htaccess file.
    So change permissions on this file too.

Now try opening homepage.

I don't even understand what godaddy support means by third party themes, and approved themes...
    If you upload a theme using FTP in themes folder, then godaddy can't stop its working.

JEET, May 2, 2020 IP
  7. CactusWren

CactusWren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your advice. Luckily doing a manual install solved the issue and everything worked now. Thanks for telling me about the folder permissions, since I didn't know anything about that before either!

CactusWren, May 3, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.