1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking about creating an ad-free lyrics google site

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mike323, Apr 20, 2020.

This is not really for business. I find all the ads on lyrics sites annoying and thought I would create some ad-free lyric sites of my favorite bands using Google sites.

I imagine many people wouldn't mind a clean and ad-free lyrics site.

Are there any legal or copyright issues I should be aware of?I

mike323, Apr 20, 2020 IP
  2. tareqjhe1

tareqjhe1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is a good decision to create a ads-free website. But if you use duplicate content then it will be copyright. But don't worry there are so many website has copyright article also google rank them. If you can gather so many articles then it's fine. Don't worry.

tareqjhe1, Apr 21, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  3. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't intend to copy any articles. I just want to post the lyrics of some bands I like ads-free. That's it.

mike323, Apr 21, 2020 IP
  4. tareqjhe1

tareqjhe1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then I think it's fine. Best of luck

tareqjhe1, Apr 21, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lyrics are copyright by song writers.
    Most people who publish lyrics on websites, they either buy offshore hosting, or are ready to remove the content when they get a DMCA notice.
    I am not sure if you can do this kind of site with google sites.

JEET, May 5, 2020 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Let me begin by saying that I am not a lawyer. As a marketing guy, however, I have been involved with U.S. copyrights, trademarks, patents, and other IP instruments for decades. The only reason that I am jumping into this thread is because you mentioned that this is not for business reasons but you want to start more of a "hobby site" for your own and others' pleasure. As such, I have two comments that are worth every penny you are paying for them: :)

1. Copyright issues get a bit gray when the violator is not earning money from the infringement. It is not so easy to prove and collect damages from a violator who has made no money from the violation. They may still be able to claim that their brand is being harmed (should you have a crappy website, etc.) but if your site is reasonable they will have less of a case and, in fact, they may look at you differently, which leads me to:

2. In effect, you are creating a "fan page" for the various bands you want to publish the lyrics of. You could actually approach the owners of the copyright and tell them that you would like permission to publish the lyrics of their songs because you like them so much and you want others to be able to enjoy them, as well. It could be a boilerplate email that you drafted with the same message to all. I would hope that most of these organizations would appreciate the free publicity and coverage and give you permission. Some of the more nitpicky ones might want final approval on the fan page (again, to make sure it is not crappy and/or damaging to their brand.)

HTH.

jrbiz, May 5, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz
    All these radio channels who play new songs etc, how do they protect themselves from copyright laws?
    Thanks

JEET, May 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    They'll be paying fees to a site like https://artlist.io/

My main concern about the lyrics hobby site would be getting the fresh content in there. If you manually list the songs you like the site will take a long time to grow and will be overlooked by the search engines, thus negating your goal of helping people out.

Is there a feed of lyrics that people are using? or are all those sites just copy & pasting / scraping each other?

sarahk, May 5, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk
    I don't think that a feed like this exists. Probably the only way is, to copy the lyrics from the DVD itself, or from another lyrics website.

JEET, May 5, 2020 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I used to know a DJ and he and the radio station would get literally thousands of recordings (DVD at the time) mailed to them every year from bands and music publishers. These were known as "Promo's" that were provided to the radio station to play at will for free. The bands would send the recordings for the free publicity and air time they would get from the radio stations. The bands, of course, wanted to sell their DVD's to the masses and radio stations were a way to get the exposure they needed.

Now, that is old news from decades ago. Not sure if this new age of streaming has changed that model at all, but I doubt it. Publicity remains as important as ever in the music world, as far as I can see.

jrbiz, May 6, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the same thing. Radio stations must get copies sent to them.
    But that would be true for larger stations.
    I wanted to know about smaller local ones, or even not so popular online ones.
    Bands etc won't send them copies to play.
    So if I want to put up a radio site online, no downloads allowed officially, then is it ok to play a couple of favourite songs on the website? (mp3 files)

JEET, May 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the online ones, but the DJ I knew was "spinning disks" in a small, radio station in a small town in NH. Middle of nowhere in a state with a very sparse and rural population, for the most part. Not a top broadcasting metro area by any means. All physical radio stations are easily quantified not only by region covered, but by type of music played, and I believe that all of them would be on all the music publishers' mailing lists.

I would check the FCC's website for some information on this. I would also consider checking out NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) to see if they provide any insight into your questions.

jrbiz, May 6, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz
    Thanks for the insight. Appreciated :) :) :)

JEET, May 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.