1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Client isn't paying

Discussion in 'General Business' started by tyankee, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    What would you do to a client that hasn't paid the last 3 invoices and is not answering the phone now because of this pandemic. They paid more or less on time for 6 years but got a new liaison in December of last year and she doesn't understand SEO or what I do for them. Even after numerous meetings trying to explain 6 years of getting them ranked.

tyankee, Mar 17, 2020 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Having had a six-year relationship, you must know more people there beyond the new liaison. Reach out to some of these folks to find out what is going on and ask them as to what you should do to get paid. Also ask them who in the company benefits most from the traffic your SEO is drawing in and if you can be introduced to those folks. Be very careful not to insult them or you new liaison and keep stressing that you value your long-term relationship with the company that has been a real win/win for both companies.

Once you get over this payment issue (btw, if they have been paying you diligently for six years, it is not likely that they are suddenly going to turn bad) you need to ask for a meeting with the people who benefit from SEO (e.g. sales management, marketing, etc.) You could call it a QBR (Quarterly Business Review) in which you will review your work and your results for them the past three months and plan out some goals and milestones for the next three months. You obviously need to get back in there and re-sell you value proposition to them.

jrbiz, Mar 17, 2020 IP
    JEET and sarahk like this.
  3. tyankee

tyankee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've called 4 other people in the company and they all said they'd look into it but now no one answers or calls me back. I'm wondering now how to put pressure on them.

tyankee, Mar 17, 2020 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the money owed is substantial and you will experience a legitimate loss you should sue. If you will not experience an actual loss you should probably just move on as the chase will never be worth the time.

NetStar, Mar 18, 2020 IP
  5. FindMyDIY

FindMyDIY Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Send a certified letter. One that lets you know it was delivered. Include what all has transpired and that there are past invoices that have not been paid. Give them a time frame to respond, like 10 days.

Also state in the letter that future correspondence for non-response will come from your attorney.

FYI - You can also have an attorney send a certified letter to the company.

FindMyDIY, Mar 18, 2020 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'd wait till the coronavirus crisis is over. What's the point of getting all upset that they are not answering your calls when there's no one in the office to answer them?

qwikad.com, Mar 18, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  7. tyankee

tyankee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How would I affect their reputation? It's looking like they are just not going to call me back and I have no idea what's going on. I've even called the president who I used to deal with directly
    They're in the office. They've taken my calls. I talk to the main desk and they say they're in. They just won't get back to me.

tyankee, Mar 18, 2020 IP
  8. 1basse

1basse Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can you sell your invoice to another company so they can demand the money?

1basse, May 8, 2020 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    6 years is a very long time. I will not risk a 6 year long business relation over 3 months of payments.
    Stop doing the work if you are unsure about future payments, but remain polite in your emails and communications.

Try to find out what is going on, if the payment is just delayed because of lockdowns, or are they planning to terminate your services.
    Lots of businesses are suffering too much because of corona and lockdowns.
    Ecommerce websites are up, but there is no proper delivery system, inventory supply is also down, so sales are less, as a result they are trying to cut down some costs.
    Mostly its small service providers like you, whose services get terminated.
    That could be one reason.

Keep asking them for more work often.
    When they reply, mention pending payments.
    Tell them that you understand the crisis situation, and could make adjustments on payments, like half now, some later etc.
    May be offer some discounts for future work.

Avoid losing a long term client over small issues...

JEET, May 8, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. dollorphanage

dollorphanage Member

Best Answers:
    No offense, but I wouldn't call not getting paid a small issue. It's a huge issue.
    You have debt collectors for this sorta thing, I suggest you look into it and let a debt collector handle collecting the payments for you.

dollorphanage, May 17, 2020 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @dollorphanage
    Its not like they have already terminated his services, and not paying him.

Secondly, if someone sends a debt collector to you, will you ever re-hire that company/freelancer?
    I don't think so...

JEET, May 17, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. dollorphanage

dollorphanage Member

Best Answers:
    They haven't paid the last 3 invoices.

I think it's very obvious that they have no intention of ever paying him.
    They are not returning his calls and e-mails. Not taking his requests seriously.

Do you call that respect? Do you even wanna work for a company who refuses to pay, doesn't even bother to cancel your services and who is not taking you seriously? Then you might as well become a corporate slave. It means you are willing to people treat you poorly for money.

For me that is no way to live. Don't let people walk all over you just to make some money. Trust me, it's not worth it.
    Show them that you are not to be trifled with. You gave them plenty of chances.

dollorphanage, May 18, 2020 IP
  13. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dollorphanage
    That is your view, to destroy any chance of getting rehired, you go with it. I won't do that myself, and won't suggest that to anyone either, specially not to someone who were working together for 6 years straight without problems.
    Nobody can survive in business with arrogance. And when they fall, they are the ones who become corporate slaves.

JEET, May 18, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you not read the part where the client has not paid the last 3 invoices?

NetStar, May 18, 2020 IP
  15. dollorphanage

dollorphanage Member

Best Answers:
    So because I don't agree with your view, I'm arrogant? Strange way to look at things. It has nothing to do with arrogance, it's about standing up for yourself. Not letting people walk all over you.

Maybe you are too blind to see that they are disrespecting him badly and that they have no intention of every paying him again, but I see it. If somebody doesn't pay an invoice once or twice, sure maybe somebody made a mistake, but if it happens three times and nobody is responding to your e-mails and phone calls then any person with common sense and people knowledge can see what's really going on. He clearly mentioned that people are in the office. They know he is looking to get paid, but they simply don't care.

If you wanna let people walk all over you for a few bucks then be my guest. I would never wanna live that way. In the end it's not worth it.
    Nothing wrong with letting a debt collector do it's job when somebody refuses to pay three times in a row. There is a lot wrong with letting somebody take advantage of you because of money. That's being a slave to money. I choose self-respect over fear any time and I'm better off for it.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  16. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dollorphanage
    Listen, I do understand that you want to increase your post count, but picking an argument for no real reason is not the way to do it.
    End this here. Stop the trolling.

JEET, May 18, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. dollorphanage

dollorphanage Member

Best Answers:
    My arguments are valid and you calling me a troll because I share my opinion on the matter says more about you than it does about me.
    I clearly am not doing anything wrong. And you are being disrespectful.

Ironic that you mentioned that arrogance is the downfall of any business. I certainly wouldn't want to do any kind of business with you if this is how you treat people. Calling me troll and accusing me of something petty such as raising my post count because I'm sharing my opinion. Gimme a break.

I have 15 posts and 9 likes, nobody here thinks I'm a troll.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  18. chrisand2cats

chrisand2cats Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even though I understand Jeets opinion, I have to agree with you. Over the years I´ve learned a few things, including when someone misses a payment more than 7 days, 9 out of 10 times they have no intention of paying, no matter how much you helped their business or how well a relationship you had with them. And also, no matter how bad business is at that moment, do not fear losing a client (or let a client control you to the point where you´re doing work for free because they have missed a payment) because you spend wasted time chasing your money rather than doing your best work for your other clients to keep them. I had 13 seo clients (I have been working with each one from 3 months to 4 years) 2 months ago and since the pandemic I have lost 12 of them over the last 60 days. I was fortunate and all of them except for 1 paid me their final invoice. The only one that did not pay me; my longest client. She wrote me and said they have to take a break as they are getting no more business from their traveling business, and she will send me the payment for the last invoice when hey start up business again. In short, they do not plan to start up their business again an i will never see the money. I´ve just decided it is easiest for me now to forget about that money, i wished her the best and said when you´re up and running again, just let me know. But this much I know; she lost someone who helped her business grow, and if she does come back and I do not need the work because i have my old customers back, I will not accept the job again to help her get back on track. Not out of a grudge, but because it´s my business, my work, pays my bills. If I cannot depend on my client paying me as much as they can depend on me doing a great job, that type of client is not worth having.

chrisand2cats, May 18, 2020 IP
  19. dollorphanage

dollorphanage Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. At least you get it :). I have similar experiences.

20. chrisand2cats

chrisand2cats Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It´s tough, I agree with you both because you´re both saying things I like. It´s just my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has got one haha

chrisand2cats, May 19, 2020 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.