1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Illustrator vs Corel Draw vs Inkscape vs Xara Xtreme

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by focused.on.art, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Brown Crow

Brown Crow Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want a free open source alternative to Illustrator, I'd say that Inkscape is as good as it gets.
    The Linux open source version of Xara Xtreme (v. 0.7) doesn't come close to Inkskape. To be brutally
    honest I wouldn't waste time on a program that's not being maintained...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xara_Xtreme#Versions_for_Linux

When it comes to the the proprietary Windows version of Xara, I freely admit that I haven't tried it.
    I don't know how good it is. Just don't waste time on the Linux version. If you want a free program,
    it is Inkscape all the way!

Brown Crow, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  2. Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the response. I've just purchased "The Book of Inkscape" by Dmitry Kirsanov and I 've been working my way through it. Inkscape is far more capable than I had thought and there seems to be a learning curve I'll be able to negotiate. (I one of the old dogs currently attempting to learn some new tricks.) From what I understand, Inkscape DOES have pretty solid support, so I think for now, the time learning will be time well spent. Again, I appreciate the response.

Uncle Grumpy, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  3. Brown Crow

Brown Crow Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Inkscape is well maintained, the only problem as far as I can see is that the
    developers are few... So, lets face it, it hasn't even reached version 1.0 yet, so
    there are room for a lot of improvement. But fortunately there is also
    an independent project going on right now that tries to remedy one of Inkscapes
    most serious lacks at the moment... (No support for PDF-exportion)
    You can check them out here:
    Advanced PDF-export plugin for Inkscape!
    So the bottom line is that Inkscape definitively is going to be a serious competitor
    to Adobe/Corel in the time to come.

I don't think you'll regret buying that Inkscape book, and I wish you good luck
    learning Inkscape!

Regards,
    Brown Crow

Brown Crow, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  4. Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, BC.

Uncle Grumpy, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  5. kuttyjoe

kuttyjoe Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried Xara many times over the years and it does not attempt to compete with Illustrator or any professional grade vector graphic software. It's easy to point to the few areas where Xara excels, just read their own promotional materials. It's really fast, and zooms in very close. Maybe something else. LOL But that doesn't make up for the billion missing features that you find in Illustrator. When you start talking about side by side comparisons, I would name possibly hundreds of Illustrator advantages. Any graphic software can merely make vector graphics. Personally, I like Serif DrawPlus which I believe is much more of a competitor to professional vector apps than Xara and it only cost less than $100.00. But there's no way to replace Illustrator with it.

kuttyjoe, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  6. Alchime.net

Alchime.net Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe but you didn't give any..

You might be right, but in Xara I can make vectors.. right out of the box.
    (but maybe it's because i read a full book about Illustrator before..^^)

And I got Nice PDF export easelly..

nb : Inscape it's fine too.

Alchime.net, Oct 17, 2011 IP
  7. DavidWincent

DavidWincent Peon

Best Answers:
    It is clear that Corel Draw is the leader amongst all. It has got many features that are not provided by the freeware software. It is possible to create logos using freeware's out there but you will be a professional only when you use Illustrator or Corel Draw.

DavidWincent, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  8. bill9404

bill9404 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer Illustrator over the others and use Windows 7.

bill9404, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  9. atomic2797

atomic2797 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been working in advertising for 14 years and every designer I've worked with uses Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. These are the standards and what you should use if you want to get serious. Why spend time learning something that might not be around in a few years. Adobe isn't going anywhere.

atomic2797, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  10. makski

makski Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I KNOW this thread is old but I have to say, I've been using Xara Xtreme for years and years, it's super fast, super easy, and has all the features you'll ever need and more (like 3d feature). But now I have to teach myself to use the formerly despised Adobe Illustrator and abandon Xara.
    Why? It's simple, clients ask for AI and EPS files and Xara has it's own vector format. Sure you can save your work as EPS or AI, but when opened in AI you'll find that only color and vector shape can be imported and none of the effects.

So in short, if you want to be a pro - forget about xara and stick with the AI

makski, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  11. Nadine Renee

Nadine Renee Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't used any other than Illustrator so I can't speak intelligently on this topic. However, I'm so glad you brought this up. Now I have some options to take a look at and decide from. I hope the answers you got were helpful to you.

Nadine Renee, Dec 10, 2016 IP
  12. duojie

duojie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Inkscape is great, esp. for being opensource and free. Inkscape is pretty easy to use and has a lot of neat, hobbyist, plugins that do interesting things.

Illustrator is dammed hard to use, but super powerful. an industry standard, and they keep adding features to make your workflow easier/faster. If you have the CC subscription includes thousands of Adobe fonts.

Corel Draw does lots of things Inkscape does not do, but as far as vector illustration goes, all vector illustration software does most of the same things: shapes, paths, node editing, text, clones, symbols, etc. . The shortcuts will be different, and some tools are unique to each program, or will require fewer/or more steps.

I haven't downloaded or used Xara Xtreme yet .

I am currently using Inkscape for logo designs . I have a XP-Pen Deco Pro ( xp-pen.com/product/432.html ) drawing pad with a pressure sensitive pen works with inkscape straight out of the box . and yes! it helps my workflow a lot.

duojie, Jan 2, 2020 IP
  13. joseph350

joseph350 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No doubt, Xara and Inkscape are being developed day by day and new features are being added to these cousins, despite that, they can never be ideally suited for professional illustrations as Adobe Photoshop is created only for professional graphic designs. For creating quality logo designs, Illustrator has a great ability that can be found in other tools like Xara or Inkscape.

I've been using Illustrator for professional illustrations for about 12 years and to me, this software is the best companion for any professional logo design.

joseph350, Jan 7, 2020 IP
  14. byxar

byxar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good question.
    Have a good comparison which give you full answer
    Review

byxar, Mar 4, 2020 IP
  15. Erno

Erno Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks man, cleared up a couple of nagging little issues for me. I don't own Corel or AI, using Photoshop (and paths) instead, but I downloaded Inkscape and wasn't sure the effort needed to master it would be worth it. Now I know :)

Erno, Apr 14, 2020 IP
  16. Ayoub benali01

Ayoub benali01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    I actually use Inkscape as an alternative for Adobe Illustrator, sure Illustrator is better but Inkscape does the job neatly you just need to know how to use it, also Inkscape is totally free so for those who can't afford Adobe Illustrator considering Inkscape might be the right thing to do.
    Even those who have CNC machines can benefit from Inkscape.

Ayoub benali01, Jul 27, 2020 IP
  17. irfansyah

irfansyah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like n used illustrator..
    Have many result in my project.

irfansyah, Jul 27, 2020 IP