1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The right to die

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Feb 26, 2020.

For awhile now Canada along with the Netherlands has legalized assisted suicide. Canada has now empowered these laws to make it easier.
    It is unsavory I suppose to contemplate one's demise but think of it. If you are suffering with a terminal illness with no hope of recovery, do you want to wither away slowly and suffer? I for one would not wish to live as a vegetable.
    Why not have a doctor assisted suicide and die with dignity? Have you witnessed old folks with their bodies and minds gone unable to even feed themselves?

In these 2 countries they make darn sure that relatives don't sign the death certificate just to get their hands on the inheritance. There are many safeguards in place to prevent this. Also at least 2 doctors have to sign on for it to happen.

I think it is humane and I am 100% for it, where do you stand on this?

Spoiltdiva, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    DuneDreamer, Matthew Sayle and jrbiz like this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I had an uncle who was like a second father to me. The last ten years of his life he was completely bedridden with a form of Parkinsons. He was basically unable to get out of bed or move or speak but his eyes moved around and for a while, at least, he was mentally alert. I think that he drifted off into insanity at some point (at least I hope so.) His terminal illness was insidious in that it took so long, but I often thought that he would have wanted to die rather than face what he faced every day. There is a right to life, but there also should be a right to death in place of a health-related, miserable life like that.

jrbiz, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There are times when in order to be kind, one has to be cruel.

jrbiz likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's really simple - my body, my choice.

If I'm finding life intolerable then I should be able to check out.
    There need to be safeguards and your family need to be included in some sort of counselling facilitation so there are no unanswered questions, nothing left untried.

Right now someone with a mental illness who commits suicide leaves a mess for someone else to find, traumatises those around them, and usually dies alone and unsupported. Too often we hear that family weren't aware. The attitude is that they gave up, rather than they succumbed to the disease. Mental health needs a lot of work.

Put structures in place so assisted suicide handled openly and honestly so that when they pass they're with people who care.

I don't expect this to happen in NZ any time soon, we're struggling with the idea of it for people with a terminal disease and 6 months to live. There's a huge risk that family may coerce an elderly/disabled person to die. We have new laws around coercion but there's a huge amount we need to learn about how those laws will be tested and used.

sarahk, Feb 26, 2020 IP
    jrbiz, JoeSpirit and Spoiltdiva like this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Well put and to the point, not much more needs to be added to your comment.

6. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't disagree that people have the right to make this choice. I'm not so sure it's a good idea to trust it in the care of government. Although making sure relatives can't make the decision just for inheritance purposes is sure a good thing.

JoeSpirit, Feb 27, 2020 IP
    sarahk, jrbiz and Spoiltdiva like this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Amen to that, but in this case what other choice is there?

Spoiltdiva, Feb 27, 2020 IP
    sarahk and JoeSpirit like this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Until now we've had religious leaders controlling the debate. They have strong opinions on the whole process of death and what happens after.

It's time to limit legislation to provable facts.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and Spoiltdiva like this.
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Iron cold logic ought to determine the debate as opposed to worthless sentimentality. We routinely put down animals by virtue of the fact that we don't want them to suffer. But when it comes down to the suffering of our fellow humans, then all of a sudden we seem to get weak in the knees and go all wobbly.

JoeSpirit and sarahk like this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that it will be really difficult to provide a solution if suicides by otherwise physically healthy people is included in the discussion. Terminally ill or permanently incapacitated people will be more understandable for most. Helping someone to kill him/herself because they are having a bad year, is a totally different thing in most people's minds.

Mind you, it goes beyond assisted suicide. It has gotten so crazy in this country about opiates that deserving people are being denied painkillers for fear of addiction or fear of the doctor being questioned by the government for his prescription count.

jrbiz, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If one were to do that it would be at the very least a manslaughter charge. I would never advocate any type of a suicide for a psychological disorder. You see there is always hope for that. But there is no hope for those who are terminally ill and are suffering with excruciating pain.

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you have the right processes in place someone who is "just having a bad year" will be able to see that. Mental illness is not having a horrible life. There are too many celebrities who seemingly "have it all" but can't get past their mental illness. There are also very high profile people with terminal illnesses who savour every day given to them - yet they truly are having a "bad year".

I think of the train drivers who have people leap in front of their trains - most years we have 3 or 4 - and the legacy of not being able to stop, not being able to prevent the death. I think of the person who went down to our wee beach late last year and took their life, alone, cold, and presumably desperate - knowing that they'd be found by a complete stranger. Would their decisions have been different if they'd been supported? If they'd had the mental health care they obviously desperately needed? If it's designed well it the process would end up saving lives.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2020 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine either having the courage of being desperate enough to jump in front of a speeding train. I would assume that sitting in your vehicle with the motor running and the garage door closed would be infinitely easier. I believe when one does that you simply fall asleep and never wake up.

14. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am 100% in favor of right to die.

Matthew Sayle, Feb 27, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  15. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Iron cold logic - when you mix that with government would it no qualify as an oxymoron???

JoeSpirit, Feb 28, 2020 IP
  16. Johnriver743

Johnriver743 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, everyone have right to do any thing with his life. A human is better than animal always using brain more than better and better. Human can make a better decision for his life until manic.

Johnriver743, Feb 28, 2020 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If we are talking about governments the last part of that word certainly would apply as in...."moron".;)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    It is really about the ability to choose a dignified end and applying some humanity by allowing people to have that choice if they opt to do so.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 28, 2020 IP
  19. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine even contemplating suicide personally. Seems to me that rather than fall peacefully asleep those fumes would start a person into a coughing fit.

I partially agree. My personal definition of freedom is having the right to do anything you want, any time you want, and having the financial means to do it - as long as you harm no other person by doing so.

When it comes to the right to do anything with your life the act of suicide is most likely going to hurt the people who love you.

JoeSpirit, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    sarahk and Spoiltdiva like this.
  20. Johnriver743

Johnriver743 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Only legislation is doing it. But world never standing with legislation ever. Its prove form history!

Johnriver743, Feb 28, 2020 IP