1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why is my bounce rate so high?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Letzride, Nov 30, 2019.

Can anyone help me figure out why my bounce rate is 90+ % on my site? I am about ready to lose my mind. I can't figure out what is wrong, the content is all meaningful / relevant. But there is absolutely no possible way my bounce rate can be at over 90% and something is not broken somewhere.

Site: https://highperformancejunkies.com

Letzride, Nov 30, 2019 IP
  2. Andrii Ozemko

Andrii Ozemko Member

Best Answers:
    For me it looks OK. I would rather do some changes:
    1. Website header height is too big, I think. I would decrease it.
    2. I would prefer to see more graphics. For example, each article has its title and description but not image.
    3. Content quality. I didn't spend a lot of time to read, but I would recommend to pay attention.
    4. Google Ads block at the beginning of each article. It irritates a little bit.
    5. In addition, I have crawled the website with my util Smart SEO Auditor (https://smart-seo-tool.com). Some broken links, H1 duplicates, empty descriptions and so on.
    The main problem is content, I think so. And of course, please, do technical audit sometimes.

Andrii Ozemko, Nov 30, 2019 IP
  3. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    what makes you say the header is too big?

Great point on more graphics - I'll try to utilize more going forward.

Google ads up top I find generate the most return - which is what I need to keep the website afloat and break even.

Do you know where the broken links are?

How do I do a technical audit?

4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As noted before, you must get rid of that undefined notice. Your page loads just fine until the undefined hits, then nothing but a blank white page. If others are getting what I am seeing, your bounce rate will go through the roof.

Try viewing your site on other computers and/with other browsers to see if you can get the same results. If so, then you will be able easily fix that problem.

mmerlinn, Nov 30, 2019 IP
  5. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    I just downloaded firefox and browsed through my site. I can't get it to replicate the issue you describe...and that's the frustrating part. Because there is very likely an issue in which you describe, and I can't figure out how to replicate it so that I can try and figure out what the issue is and how to fix it.

On a side note, it appears as if part of my site is not https:// - I contacted my host who reinstalled it site wide but said it could take up to 24 hours to resolve?

6. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    So I downloaded this program called "screaming frog" and am utilizing the free version. Through using that program I was able to see what pages needed to be redirected. So as far as I can see and with help of that tool, my entire site top to bottom should now be https://

I am still not sure with regards to the error that you are getting mmerlinn - I am stumped on how to go about finding that information as well

7. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    All I can tell you is something near the end of your page is causing the problem. Page loads just fine until then. When I first went to your site the page loaded with the undefined error at the bottom left, but the page itself was totally readable. Now it is only readable for a split second as it is loading.

Unfortunately, because of this error, I cannot view the page source to maybe help you find the problem.

mmerlinn, Nov 30, 2019 IP
  8. Andrii Ozemko

Andrii Ozemko Member

Best Answers:
    >> what makes you say the header is too big?
    It is just my view. The header occupants around 30% of the first view. Inside this header I can see only one logo. On the first view should be placed something that catch user's focus. I think, header uses a lot of space but doesn't catch user's focus. First view should be optimized I think.

>> Google ads up top I find generate the most return - which is what I need to keep the website afloat and break even.
    That is true. Ads which is placed on the fist view is more profitable. As for me this Ads block at the each article beginning irritates a little bit. I would recommend try to place it after the first paragraph. Title and first paragraph should catch user's focus and then user can find the Ads.

>> Do you know where the broken links are? How do I do a technical audit?
    You told that you used screaming frog to crawl your website. This tool should give an answer. If not, you can try my tool.

And again, I recommend to focus on content quality.

Andrii Ozemko, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  9. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    I appear to get 4 errors on the https://highperformancejunkies.com main page when I inspect the page (not sure if these errors could cause a page not to load mmerlinn? Or if these even might be the right codes to start addressing? And how I can go about fixing them?

Errors:

• ?v=2.0:6 WebSocket connection to 'wss://public-api.wordpress.com/pinghub/wpcom/me/newest-note-data' failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 403
    • Mixed Content: The page at 'https://highperformancejunkies.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http:highperformancejunkies. (took away the slashes so I could post it) This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.
    • ?v=2.0:6 WebSocket connection to 'wss://public-api.wordpress.com/pinghub/wpcom/me/newest-note-data' failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 403

Letzride, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  10. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Error code 403 indicates that access to those pages is forbidden (blocked). And when I try to go directly to those pages I get
    Your mixed content link takes me directly to your main page, then the undefined page.

mmerlinn, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  11. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    I had to remove the parts after the slash on the mixed content url as digital point would not let me submit the post as it comes up as a redirect.

It does appear to be a security error from what I have been googling. So I am going to see if I can manually start going into each page and fixing it to see where I land.

I thought there would be an easier way to do this as opposed to manually, but not as far as I can see.

Letzride, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  12. Letzride

Letzride Member

Best Answers:
    Ok - I made a few changes. It appears I am only getting one single error now on the home page.

Mmerlinn Can you see if you are getting the same error on my site? I am hoping I have resolved it. My current bounce rate has dropped to 68% - but we will see if a) all issues are resolved and b) if this maintains itself moving forward and is not biased from myself going onto the site and making changes.

Letzride, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  13. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi.
    Do website crawlers have any effect on this? Could those bounces just be from crawlers arriving at your home page/internal site page? Check where your backlinks are posted, are they being listed in relevant categories for your content? Also, search engine algorithm changes can distort your data as SERPs become rearranged following such algorithm updates. Analytics software could need more input in order to reflect actual website traffic.

davilama2682, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  14. Ay3sha

Ay3sha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you try looking into the UI/UX of the website and monitored the user behavior according to that. I'd recommend you to use the tools like hotjar.com & pageview.com for the session recordings and monitor every session on the pages you're getting maximum bounce rate from.

Ay3sha, Dec 9, 2019 IP
  15. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Generally, the bounce rate is high when a website does not provide what the users are looking for. Even average looking websites have a very low bounce rate because they provide what users want. So, improve your website content so that users get benefit out of your content.

Mr_Kumar, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    davilama2682 likes this.
  16. James Rawls

James Rawls Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A high bounce rate could be a result of following factors:
    1- Increased Website loading time
    2- Dull Content which is irrelevant and not engaging
    3- Images are not catchy or visually attractive

James Rawls, Jan 30, 2020 IP
  17. dm.dotzo.net

dm.dotzo.net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It might be because of these reasons,
    • Website content is lengthy.
    • The website lacks in Graphics.
    • Content might be not attractive.
    • The website loading speed is slow.

dm.dotzo.net, Jan 31, 2020 IP
  18. online virtual assistant

online virtual assistant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Offer some discounts if you don't want large bounce rates.

19. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It appears that you have solved the "undefined" problem that mmerlinn mentioned.
    I am thinking it was being caused by a javascript code which shades out the actual page and shows a layer on top loading a newsletter signup box.
    You probably had a variable undefined here which caused the issue. The page was getting shaded out, but newsletter box was not loading, presenting an almost blank page to the user.

JEET, Feb 17, 2020 IP