1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What was your reason for leaving MySpace?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by JEET, Feb 3, 2020.

What was your reason for leaving MySpace?

Mine was, I was never there.
    I came online near its so called death, and just around the time when facebook and twitter were starting up.

JEET, Feb 3, 2020 IP
  2. Sasih

Sasih Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I created my account in 2009 when it was barely even used anymore. By the time I created my account people were slowly drifting away from using it. Facebook and Snapchat became the thing to use on the daily, while twitter wasn’t as successful as it is now. I guess Instagram is now the reigning champ of social media.

Sasih, Feb 4, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying, but this is what I want to find out from first hand users about why they left that website and switched to fb...

JEET, Feb 4, 2020 IP
  4. Andy Dao

Andy Dao Member

Best Answers:
    I left Myspace because it was becoming to punkish or it started becoming for artists? Or...I think it got too customizable and slowed down my computer.

Andy Dao, Feb 6, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It certainly suffered from people not knowing the first thing about colour combinations!

Facebook came online and was pretty lame, twitter didn't make much sense, blogging and rss feeds were still popular. I had pages at a few other social sites but they weren't getting traction and were the precursors to link building via profile pages.

Then Facebook allowed us to make apps and that captured the tech crowd's imagination, suddenly everyone & his uncle discovered Facebook and it was relevant.

I'm pretty sure my Facebook account is a dupe, somewhere there is a shell of an account from when I signed up, didn't have anyone on my feed and abandoned the account. That, essentially, is the problem any competitor faces. We are all set up on facebook, insta, and twitter - you're going to have to be hyped to the max to get enough people to sign up so that the user experience works. I'd love to think one of us, tapping away at home in what every little town in whatever country can create that competitor but it just won't be possible. The hardware that's needed would be significant, the mix of UX, tech, & server admin skills will be spread across a team and it'll take lots of time to create it. One person won't be able to do that on their own.

edit: based on the profile picture I'd say I abandoned this account about 15 years ago: https://myspace.com/itamer

sarahk, Feb 6, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't you guys think that facebook is getting too political now?
    Even if you do not want to do anything with politics, still somehow you end up seeing something politics related every now and then...
    Like how myspace became a hub for artists...

JEET, Feb 6, 2020 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The only political content I see is from friends who post political stuff. No ads, nothing unsolicited - but I'm not American.

sarahk, Feb 7, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's the political content I am talking about. I got some friends, too active politically. Thanks to them, all I see is political stuff... LOL

I work in stock markets, joined a lot of stock market groups on fb, have one my own too, and here too people keep posting ads after ads of "stock tips providers"

I am sort of getting bored of fb now, and twitter is too difficult for me to read. People use shorthand that I don't understand half.
    Like I mentioned in my other post, the only reason I am tolerating facebook is because lot of other people are here and I get to use my group to drive some traffic to my website.

JEET, Feb 7, 2020 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sarahk
    I just checked your mySpace profile.
    Can't help notice "v7ndotcom elursrebmem"
    You participated in that SEO contest?
    That was some fun!
    You know that forum still ranks in few tops for "webmaster forum", but is almost inactive.

JEET, Feb 7, 2020 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I had a bit of play with it but some guys went hard out and spent significant money and time to win. It's a good lesson if you're with a new product & there's no established players, but pretty irrelevant for most of us who have keyword competition.

sarahk, Feb 7, 2020 IP
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I too participated in it. Registered a domain, created a new website and everything. After all, it was a 7000 dollar contest! Those days PR mattered a lot, and those who won, they bought links from high PR websites, mainly directories.
    I only spent enough to buy the domain, had no chance LOL

JEET, Feb 7, 2020 IP
  12. All Marketing Trends

All Marketing Trends Member

Best Answers:
    Myspace is very slow website and the engagements rate is very very low!

All Marketing Trends, Feb 12, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Now? or was it the reason you left MySpace 10 years ago?

sarahk, Feb 12, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  14. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All Marketing Trends
    Thanks for the answer.
    Many people told me this earlier also, myspace was a slow website...

JEET, Feb 12, 2020 IP