1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best free tools to start website designing by myself?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Amy Bella, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Gary-SC

Gary-SC Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow

No problem here, the apology accepted. :) I appreciate your clarification. I am relieved to know that it wasn't anything I said! Phew! :D

Gary-SC, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Vendetta? I'm pretty sure that Stallman doesn't even notice. Still, I'm surprised you would pick or not pick an important tool on such a flimsy criterion.

I'm also sure (from what I've heard about him) that if I sat down with him over a cup of coffee, I'd soon be looking around for another table.

g

kk5st, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  3. Gary-SC

Gary-SC Member

Best Answers:
    It's so true that there are many bad advice. Just today (or yesterday, can't remember... reading a ton lately) I came across at least several articles containing all kinds of misuse of h tags and sheer lack of concerns about accessibility issues, which I am just starting to dig. I feel fortunate to have come across your insights.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Gary-SC, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is just one of the many reasons. It feels painfully archaic and at times outright obtuse -- to be expected of a toy made in an age where more than 44 keys on a keyboard was a "luxury". It has that level of big-iron hackishness so common to older *nix tools; something that has always left a bitter taste in my mouth over how painfully obtuse it can get over the simplest of tasks.

I mean, what's the old joke about people who use emacs for coding? They spend more time creating macros and looking for extensions than they do actually writing code? I mean a LOT of it can be attributed to the different mindset of those raised on big iron instead of micro's -- and I'm definitely the latter -- but there's more to it than that. It could almost make sense if using a non-macro capable assembler, or if screwing around writing LaTex... but since even the train wreck (at least in terms of x86 use) that is GAS supports macro assembler and even desktop publishing people think of LaTex as a dinosaur, the 'need' for 99% of what emacs does just leaves me scratching my head.

But then if notepad had proper charset support, full memory support, and indentation guides I'd probably still be using that, as most things more "complex" than that in an editor -- for me at least -- ends up unused or worse, gets in my damned way. Part of why the BEST text editor I've ever used on a *nix was gEdit.

I just want to type s*** in, and maybe once in a blue moon do search/replace. More complex than that is at best a waste of system memory, at worst interferes with what I'm trying to do.

To be fair though, I'm the nutter for whom "colour syntax highlighting" is a uselessly illegible acid trip, auto-completion never auto-does what I'm trying to resulting in my having to re-edit everything that crap does, and 'code folding' defeats the point of actually trying to browse through code.

Such "tools" interfere with my needs and methodology in the languages I work with. Your needs and methodology may vary from mine.

Could be worse though, could be vi/vim which I lump with EDLIN and Wordstar on the "uselessly outdated" scale. Again, tools built for 44 keys that should have gone the way of the dodo the moment the AT-101 became the norm EVERYONE copied. Though that layout itself was copied somewhat from DEC terminals!

deathshadow, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  5. Hannah Threst

Hannah Threst Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for these links! I'm currently learning web development and web design myself.
    I actually started learning with Wordpress on my localserver. It wasn't enough but still, as for someone who doesn't have enough background on web development it's quite helpful.

Hannah Threst, Jun 21, 2019 IP
  6. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    If it is about leaning then must go with the HTML and CSS first. If you just want to do it for fun then go with WordPress or Weebly.

Sumit_Singh, Jun 21, 2019 IP
  7. Amy Bella

Amy Bella Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever...
    I got guidance. Thank you so much.

Amy Bella, Jun 26, 2019 IP
  8. Danywenyheny

Danywenyheny Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes thats true, just try wordpress, good tool

Danywenyheny, Feb 5, 2020 IP
  9. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are free website Builders out there:
    weebly.com
    WordPress.com

Are you just looking to just build a website or are you also looking to make money with your site as well?

kb24, Feb 6, 2020 IP
  10. online virtual assistant

online virtual assistant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Currently wordpress is very in in the industry to i would suggest to watch some tutorials on youtube and learn about wordpress.

Creativerabi likes this.
  11. Denis B.

Denis B. Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, I recommend you using a Content Management System, Wordpress would be the best, and a builder such as Visual Composer or Elementor for example. That along with a little knowledge that you can get from the internet I think would be enough to get you started.

Denis B., Feb 20, 2020 IP
  12. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Learn HTML and CSS to get started. As far as text editors go, it's all personal preference. Right now, Visual Studio Code is a popular one to use, and I really enjoy it - its fast, has a ton of plugins so you can develop any kind of app with it, and it runs on every OS. Sublime Text is a good freebie, although the purchase reminder gets annoying if you don't have money to buy it. For Windows, I always loved using Notepad++ and on Linux I use Gedit for quick, small projects. Anything serious, and you'll find me using VS Code.

I would personally void Emacs or VIM in the beginning as you won't be coding too quick anyways, and there's no sense in jumping into learning too much right away.

Take it slow to really master the basics of HTML and CSS, then focus on JavaScript. Once you learn JavaScript, you can learn React, Angular, Node, MongoDB, etc. You can become a full stack web developer with just JS skills now, and that's really amazing. Don't make the mistake I made a decade ago and try to learn too many programming languages at once, you'll never truly master one.

Learn HTML/CSS. Learn JavaScript. Learn React and MongoDB. Master HTML/CSS, learn the syntax and basics of the rest and then start building a project. You'll actually learn by developing a project and learning how to actually build things along the way. Trust me on this!!

There are 4-8+ hour long courses on YouTube that will walk you through everything and you don't have to pay a dime. Follow along with these free courses, pause the video, code along with them, and once you think you're ready start building your own project, a web app if possible.

If you're more for development than actual design, but still want to create beautiful web apps, then learn to implement Bootstrap - but please do learn CSS on your before using Bootstrap.

Good luck to you, hope this helps!

cronik, Feb 20, 2020 IP
  13. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also, WordPress is great, but if you're new, maybe not. There are many WP developers out there and unless you have years of experience it can be hard to compete with them. Its easier to get a job if you know how to develop web apps and content management systems on your own. Learn ReactJS and become a full stack developer with JavaScript, or learn Python/Django, or PHP. There are options, but JavaScript is something you'll want to learn regardless which backend language you decide to use.

cronik, Feb 20, 2020 IP
  14. Glan Mitchenson

Glan Mitchenson Peon

Best Answers:
    Wix is the easiest option

Glan Mitchenson, Dec 6, 2023 IP
  15. Haley777

Haley777 Member

Best Answers:
    I see that a lot of people voted for WordPress here. And I'm not surprised as it offers many great features. But I don't find it to be the easiest option. As for me, when it comes to choosing a free web design tool, it is better to use of of the website builders https://www.beautifullife.info/web-design/best-free-website-builders/ Here I can name not only Wix, though it is the most used one. Weebly, Webnode, Strikingly, Site123, FreeWebStore, Sellfy, Jimbo, etc. - all of them can be a good choice. Just compare them and choose one that meets your needs.

Haley777, Dec 8, 2023 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Why is it better?

sarahk, Dec 8, 2023 IP
  17. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    More importantly what the blue blazes does any of that predatory scam artist BS have to do with being about DESIGN? You know, the topic of the thread?

Fun bump of a four year old thread though by yet more vapid meaningless gormless wuck-fittery.

deathshadow, Dec 8, 2023 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  18. Mark Elijah

Mark Elijah Peon

Best Answers:
    Wix: Wix offers a user-friendly drag-and-drop interface with beautiful templates, making it easy to create stunning websites without coding knowledge.
    WordPress.com: A popular platform for beginners, WordPress.com offers a variety of free themes and plugins to customize your website.
    GIMP: A free alternative to Photoshop, GIMP allows you to edit photos and create basic website graphics.
    Khan Academy: Offers a free "Intro to HTML & CSS" course that teaches you the foundational languages of web design.
    YouTube Tutorials: Many YouTubers provide excellent free tutorials on various web design topics, from beginner to advanced.

Mark Elijah, Mar 23, 2024 at 2:50 AM IP