1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Puzzling visitors from Digital Ocean

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Saputnik, Dec 28, 2019.

Hello. I would appreciate opinion on issue that has been puzzling me for a while.

I run small website out of hobby, football betting statistics, and I have installed StatCounter. Since long time ago, I noticed strange visits, that do not seem like "human" visits:

• ISP is always Digital Ocean
    • IPs are different, so are locations; in ~90% of cases, location is in USA, but sometimes I see Singapore, Amsterdam, etc.
    • OS is almost always Linux with "unknown" browser, vey few exceptions to that rule.
    • Screen resolution is always, without exception, 800x600.
    • It always visits only home page, nothing else, without exception, one visit to home page, no refferer.

Attached are screenshots of last several visits.

Can anyone clarify what are these visits? Not that I'm concerned about them, I'm just puzzled.
    StatCounter forums would be more obvious choice for this question, but they are pretty dead, so I don't think it would help...

Thanks in advance!

Digital-Ocean-1.png Digital-Ocean-2.png

Attached Files:

Saputnik, Dec 28, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  2. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who uses 800x600 resolution anymore?
    Possibility of bot is more because of linux OS.
    Its probably a bot scraper which is sending a fake user agent.

JEET, Dec 29, 2019 IP
    Saputnik likes this.
  3. Saputnik

Saputnik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comment! There are "Googlebot" visits, so I thought this was something else. Scraper makes sense, site contains tables with statistics, so somebody might be scraping the data, it's possible, I didn't think of that.

Saputnik, Dec 31, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  4. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think googlebot uses 66.xx IPS (IPS starting with 66)
    and googlebot is one of the commonly faked useragent. Check the IP if looking to block fake googlebots.

JEET, Jan 7, 2020 IP