1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should I do with a food related domain?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Barb Davids, Dec 1, 2019.

Hi all!

I purchased a food related domain just because I thought it sounded good. It was inspired from a conversation I had with a friend who cooks a lot.

For some reason, I feel I need to keep it. But I don't know what to do with it. LOL

There are an infinite amount of food websites already.

If you are in to the food industry, is there something missing from the sites you've visited? Which one is your favorite and why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Cheers!
    Barb

Barb Davids, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  2. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not visit food websites - but I had dabbled with the thought of a food-specific blog website. People laughed when I mentioned it, but it has been one of those niche topics that have remained with me - if I ever decided to develop a niche content marketing blog. Non-proprietary food recipes are universal so can't be copyrighted. These search terms guaranteed to be searched for in search engines: food, blog, eat, recipe. You should however, have only original images found on your food website this will make you more marketable and will be great for your website branding - as well as boosting website content (which equals better stickiness, and SERPs). Just don't break the food content with too many ads. That is if you intend on monetizing. Stick to food only - not cooking supplies - unless you want to create reviews of food products. I hope that this helps you. Good luck on your endeavors with the food website.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    davilama2682, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  3. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    Barb Davids, Dec 2, 2019 IP
    davilama2682 likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I do not have a food website nor a career in food. That said, I love to eat! (See my signature line for evidence of that.) Additionally, so you understand where I am coming from, I am a high tech sales and marketing guy.

Were I wanting to start a food-based website, I would look at what is working now. Nothing succeeds like success, you know. Since I am based in the US like you, I would be most interested in the Cooking Channel and the other cable TV channels that offer 24x7 cooking shows. I would make a list and then visit their websites to see what types of categories, content, etc., they are pushing prominently. They likely get millions of visitors per year and have analysts who spend time understanding what is working for them and what isn't. I would then think about putting up a website or a blog covering one of the categories/topics that seem to be featured prominently on these websites. You can be much more focused and do deeper dives than those larger, more broad-based websites.

However, that is the easy part of the process. The problem is that "...if you build it, they will NOT come..." to paraphrase the famous movie quote. You need to have a strong marketing plan and the problem is that those successful sites that you just researched will not be sharing their secrets with anyone any time soon. (Actually, would not matter, anyway, as their media campaigns will include TV promotion through their channels and this will not be an option for you.) So, you will need to think about your potential audience(s) and how you might go about reaching them. FYI, most good business ideas fail right here: the inability to implement marketing programs that result in customer acquisition. You need to plan to execute a few different marketing campaigns to test for results and to gather the funds and/or resources necessary to implement them effectively. Keep in mind that much like real estate where only three things matter: Location, location, and location; it is the same for marketing in that only three things matter: testing, testing, and testing. Use the testing to find what works and then scale those campaigns that produce for you.

jrbiz, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  5. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    Understood. I was mostly looking for some non marketing specific insight. As someone who has used them, what might be missing. The stuff you can't necessarily find through normal marketing processes. ;) Generally speaking.

Have you used a food website personally before?

Barb Davids, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  6. Mike2718

Mike2718 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, if this is a really rare domain, maybe you can partner up with a restaurant or a local bar to promote them in exchange for profit sharing or free drinks :)

Mike2718, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Rarely. Would be for a recipe of some sort.

jrbiz, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  8. Javier-Ramos.com

Javier-Ramos.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If it's a short dot com domain name you can hold it as an investment and sell it in the future, I buy and sell domains in the thousands of dollars and you would not believe what companies are willing to pay to buy the domains that they want.

Average sale of a dot com domain name is in the high $x,xxx

Javier-Ramos.com, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Creating a food blog is the obvious option.

dcristo, Dec 3, 2019 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Creating a site related to pet foods (home-made, gourmet) can be an option. People love to pamper their pets. May not work with your dn though.

qwikad.com, Dec 4, 2019 IP
  11. Shipra Mukhopadhyaya

Shipra Mukhopadhyaya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use it to share food related contents, ads and pdfs (to build list).

Shipra Mukhopadhyaya, Dec 6, 2019 IP
  12. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Carnivore versus vegan is a very polarizing topic these days, bringing lots of engagement.

VideoWhisper.com, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. macstux

macstux Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For anything food related i honestly find Pinterest the best option. so I would base your website on a blog and advertise via pinterest. What is the domain related to?

macstux, Dec 23, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Purchasing domain names THEN trying to figure out what to do with them is like buying a bunch of commercial warehouses then trying to figure what you can fill them with to start a business. It's crazy. I have purchased DOZENS of domains over the years because they sounded great and most likely would be great if tied to a web site. However, I have done nothing with those domains as the idea behind the web sites never truly held my interest or passion. Some of these domains I have kept for 10 years to only finally let go. The domain, name of business etc are things that come AFTER the idea. You can't start executing without the idea first. Your domain name is useless and worthless. What should you do with it? Well if you have to ask you will most likely do nothing with it. Scrap it and put your focus on your idea. Stop trying to come up with an idea based off a $0 value domain name.

NetStar, Dec 23, 2019 IP
  15. NetWatcher

NetWatcher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you could share the domain with us, I suppose we could give better advice :)
    But overall, if some very nice domain is laying around, some blog is always a good idea. Otherwise, just try to sell it and get some $$$.

NetWatcher, Dec 26, 2019 IP
    macstux likes this.
  16. Jorge2local

Jorge2local Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Use your domain for a blog, and share food recipes, expensive foods, cheapest foods, healthy foods or regional foods. You will get huge traffic in this and believe me, you could make a lot of money from this.

Jorge2local, Jan 12, 2020 IP
  17. rkahn

rkahn Member

Best Answers:
    I'm no expert of the food industry, but if there's one thing the food world cannot have enough of, it's reviews. So see, if you can come up with a unique way of reviewing/covering your favorite food types.

rkahn, Jan 13, 2020 IP
  18. Web_Dev_Chris

Web_Dev_Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Eat it! Just kidding. Sell it?

Web_Dev_Chris, Feb 5, 2020 IP