1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplication of Content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by yobro, Dec 4, 2019.

OK, so I produce a magazine that is an app in the app stores. And for those who prefer to read the mag on a desk/laptop. I publish a copy as a pdf style Flipbook on a free Issuu account.

Each month I want to copy the previous month's mag articles into my WordPress blog as they'll make good cornerstone content. But if Google has already indexed the pdf flipbook over on Issuu, will they think I'm just copying some other person' content and penalise me?

Cheers

yobro, Dec 4, 2019 IP
  2. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    They could see it as duplicate content. Put a canonical on your blog to the .pdf if that's the original content and it will be find. Though you'll want to have some unique content on the blog too.

Cheers!
    Barb

Barb Davids, Dec 4, 2019 IP
    Oso Optimized likes this.
  3. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content to me is the same content being published multiple times on the same domain only. Lots of content on the web is similar in content. My belief is that if similar content is on a different domain it will not be penalized. Now, if single domain decides to post 2 pages of same exact text - that is duplicate content found on that site. And this will render the duplicate content not authoritative as it already exists elsewhere on the same site. This is padding pages.

davilama2682, Dec 5, 2019 IP
  4. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content is no big deal today as Google is smarter enough to find the original source of the information and for the heads up almost 20% of data in the web is duplicate and I think everyone has notice that if they are really an observer. Make these duplicated content as a good use for the target users and benefits them so that google will consider it as a good signal from your website rather than a negative duplicated content.

KylieSweet, Dec 6, 2019 IP
  5. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is not true. Search engines recognize duplicate content when it's published on a separate website. They give credit to the original copy and ignore the page where the original is duplicated.

I do agree with KylieSweet though. If, by duplicating content from another source, benefits your readers then there is value in publishing it. (Just make sure you give credit to the original publisher.)

And don't expect a lot of organic traffic to the duplicated page.

JoeSpirit, Dec 7, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does the content on the Flipbook actually gets indexed. If not you're safe to post the same content again on your blog.

And even if it's getting indexed you can still post the same content on your blog. But link to the original piece of content, which would be the Flipbook pdf. I learned this from Neil Patel. I actually asked him if I could post my blog articles on Medium.com and he said I can post them word for word, but link to the original. He didn't even suggest using a canonical tag.

jacksarlo, Dec 7, 2019 IP
  7. seoninja121

seoninja121 Member

Best Answers:
    You have to very careful about it because duplicacy is not for long term. You should give a source in your WordPress blog from where you are copying the content.

seoninja121, Dec 9, 2019 IP
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If google is indexing files made available on issuu, then definitely a duplicate content penalty is coming to your blog which is reproducing same files a month later.

Why don't you publish those files on your blog also at the same time? And then may be a day or two later on issuu...

JEET, Dec 9, 2019 IP
  9. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If an exact sentence is found on other websites, then it is duplicate content.

alex06295, Dec 11, 2019 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One thing I always do when I publish a new article — immediately, right after I upload it, I submit the new page's URL to my Google Search Console (in the very top box on the GSC page). Google's indexing of my page is then almost instantaneous. That way I'm always the first one Google indexes for that article on the internet. And also I always include a self-referencing canonical on the page. If others copy the page, Google has me on record as the first, original page with that content.

Jim4767, Dec 16, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  11. yobro

yobro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, we decided not to produce a flip-book that gets indexed elsewhere we are going to provide it as a pdf download instead.

So we will produce the mag for the app stores, the day that goes live we'll post articles on the blog, and also provide a pdf download of the mag. So we'll have some duped content as the blog articles will be almost the same as the pdf download, but at least everything will be on our site. Hopefully, google won't mind that we have a PDF download that has that months blog articles within.

yobro, Dec 20, 2019 IP
  12. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That sounds like a viable solution to me. In my experience re-purposed content doesn't get dinged by Google.

Although, I haven't personally produced a collection of articles in PDF format. I have recently thought about it as I have a lot of content sitting in various blog archives.

JoeSpirit, Dec 20, 2019 IP
  13. yobro

yobro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK after loads of moans from readers about not getting a flipbook style mag. I think I have settled on a solution. I found a great WordPress plugin that produces a flipbook from any pdf I can then embed that in a WordPress post, So now I'm hosting everything on my site the flipbook, and the individual articles. So while there will be some duplication, articles in my flipbook will also be on the blog. Hopefully, that won't upset google too much and I won't be losing SEO juice to a flipbook host.

yobro, Jan 3, 2020 IP
  14. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Are you referring to GSC (formerly Google webmaster tools)? What box is it? What page is it on (Overview, Performance, URL Inspection)?

qwikad.com, Jan 4, 2020 IP
  15. gsquarewebtech

gsquarewebtech Peon

Best Answers:
    First check what is happening to the indexed pages. Do they both appear in search? Which one shows up the most? How do the readership and engagement compare? You could merge one with the other, or keep both active but canonicalize one to point to the other so that only one is indexed. It all depends on the value of pages bring.

gsquarewebtech, Jan 4, 2020 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You submit the new pages on your Google Search Console (GSC). Open your GSC page and at the very top of each GSC page you'll see a dark-shaded box with a small looking glass in it. Click that box and add the full URL of your new page.

Jim4767, Jan 4, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and qwikad.com like this.
  17. Shivani Shrivastav

Shivani Shrivastav Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can publish it by giving original source URL. But still, I would recommend to add unique content on your blog that will help you more.

Shivani Shrivastav, Jan 5, 2020 IP
  18. seoninja121

seoninja121 Member

Best Answers:
    Duplication of content is not good for website. Google neglects all these types of websites, which have duplicate content issue. Because nowdays, Google is more focusing on the content and launching algos on the same.

seoninja121, Jan 5, 2020 IP