1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly, there is a lot of truth to your statement.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 21, 2019 IP
  2. hokdio

hokdio Peon

Best Answers:
    Just write what you want, but first you must read the information about the topic that you want to write. After then, you will have bacsic information and you start to. However, may be the first time, you will see that may be in your paragraph you write will have wrong word or wrong gramma, but you must practice more and more. I believe that you will be a better writer.

hokdio, Oct 28, 2019 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Does anyone see the irony in this post? There seems to be a lot of it going around lately.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 28, 2019 IP
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Duh, are you saying practice makes perfect? If so, it seems you need LOTS of practice and you should consult a lexicon when you write, ESPECIALLY when you are expounding upon the subject of how to write.

I have NEVER seen a GOOD writer that was not FIRST and FOREMOST a voracious READER. Not just about the subject at hand, but about anything and everything. Readers tend to AUTOMATICALLY know about good sentence structure, know about good grammar, and know when something is not spelt rite, oops, correctly.

mmerlinn, Oct 28, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva and JEET like this.
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I don't want to write, I start reading something about the topic I want to write an article on.
    Lots of websites, some videos if I can find any on the subject.

Then I wait for a while, let all that info sink in.

After a while I start getting desperate to write it all... LOL

JEET, Oct 31, 2019 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That desperation that you experience is passion. Those who don't have it never make it as writers. Passion and lack of passion is what separates the writers from the want to be writers.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 31, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn and JEET like this.
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Spoiltdiva
    Rightly said friend! I feel the same about coding too... Would not have lasted over 15 years as a freelance webmaster without that passion.
    I do regret taking down some of my old websites though. Should have kept them alive...

JEET, Oct 31, 2019 IP
  8. Many_man

Many_man Peon

Best Answers:
    So true. I would like to work as a copywriter, but I'm afraid that because of my desire and unwillingness to write, that change each other from time to time, I may lose a job.

Many_man, Nov 1, 2019 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    As a non native speaker of English myself I can tell you this with utter conviction. If you plan to pursue a career writing in English you need to improve your skill set. Frankly speaking friend, your command of English just plain sucks.

Spoiltdiva, Nov 1, 2019 IP
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Many_man
    Nobody "wants" to work. We "have" to work.
    I love coding, really love it. If I don't code up something for 2-3 days, I start feeling as if I am drowning...
    Start loving what you are doing, or do what you love. Will make things a lot more easier for you!

JEET, Nov 2, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. maximvoloinin

maximvoloinin Peon

Best Answers:
    It is usually hard, but you just have to start and after a while it will go by itself. If not, it’s better not to write anything today.

maximvoloinin, Dec 5, 2019 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If one makes a living by writing or is under contract, then deciding when to write or when not to write may not be an option. Clients usually don't care if you are not in the mood to write. They want their content quickly. If you don't deliver the goods they will go to another writer.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Dec 5, 2019 IP
  13. transparentcloud1

transparentcloud1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello! There is no good or bad mood for a writer. You are always in the mainstream. The whole thing is that you just give all your mood and thoughts to paper. Even if there are any technical texts, you simply build yourself preliminary notes and diagrams, small drafts, preliminary boards of topics:oops:

transparentcloud1, Dec 24, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That is an interesting take on the topic. Almost 800 posts and no one thought of this.......interesting.:)

Spoiltdiva, Dec 24, 2019 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have followed this thread for many years and never posted because I am not a professional copywriter. In fact, I tend to hire copywriters when needed. However, I do find myself needing to write many things for business: sales letters, sales emails, etc. Some times they will be documents that argue my case with a client in a very competitive situation and they can get to be multiple pages in length. I am a good, native American English writer from the perspective of vocabulary and grammar (I used to tutor English in college) but whether or not I write good sales copy is certainly open to debate. Anyway, I realized that I have a method of getting something written when I don't feel like it and will outline my process below:

When I have a topic and need to write it under a reasonable deadline, the first thing I do is write down every stray thought in my head about the topic. Just notes, short phrases, important points, etc., anything that comes to mind on the topic. I then close the document and walk away for a short time period. I then come back, review those points and inevitably, will think of a few more that I will add to the list. I may do this a few times before I feel that I have the general scope of the piece and enough compelling concepts covered in the various points. The next time I come back to the document, I organize all of the points in a logical order and while doing so, the article's main points and direction start to gel. I then close the document and walk away. When I return to it next, I begin to flesh out each point with the explanatory content needed to explain to the audience what I am trying to convey. Once I have written this first draft, I close it and walk away. I then come back one or more times to edit, re-write sections, etc. My process can take a few hours or a few days, so it may not work if you are under a tight deadline but, for me, it results in the best quality writing that I do.

Many times, I really do not feel like writing the piece, but know that I have to. By breaking it down into simple steps at the beginning, walking away from it a lot, and then coming back to work on what I have already developed makes it into a more palatable task. HTH.

jrbiz, Apr 11, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn, Spoiltdiva and JEET like this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That is certainly a good method and I can see the logic in it. As for me everything seems to come within a minute or two or not at all. After the first couple of minutes it's many hours and even days of research then comes the writing. And lastly it's interacting with the client. But the process is so very difficult when I'm not in the mood to write, so very easy when I am.:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 11, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is why I have not posted previously on this thread. In my case, I am both the client and the copywriter. :)

jrbiz, Apr 11, 2020 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    So what you are telling us is that you wear 3 hats:
    (1) Client hat
    (2) Copywriter hat
    (3) Tinfoil hat
    :rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Apr 11, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Tinfoil hats! Why just one? They nest well. ;)

jrbiz, Apr 11, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  20. Shams Alam Khan

Shams Alam Khan Peon

Best Answers:
    First write down why you are not in the mood. You will figure out some important thoughts and possibly figure out how to fix your mood. If you can't fix it, try to listen to some soothing music. Meditate a bit, talk with your family and friends, it will boost you up.

Shams Alam Khan, Apr 23, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.