1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Windows hosting or Linux

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by gliders, May 2, 2017.

Hi,

We have been using Linux hosting and we are aware of that it is the best platform for easy management and handy operations, but would like to try windows + plesk configurations as well.

Could you please suggest any good windows hosting provides(really hard to find as we are new to windows hosting).

Also, Is it manageable like Linux, :( Not sure,,, We only used windows in my local system.

I don't know if i find any spam,suspicious activity in my windows hosting, I am well aware of linux, so didn't face such issues till now.

Any great opinions are accepted Dudes :) :)

gliders, May 2, 2017 IP
  2. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Windows with plesk control is well manageable , just like Cpanel / linux combination. On windows server you will have logs and monitoring stuff to manage account activities.

webhost.uk.net, May 2, 2017 IP
  3. SolaDrive

SolaDrive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Windows is going to cost you a lot more, due to all the licensing of Windows and Plesk. With Linux, its free, all you pay for is the control panel (cPanel). And honestly, we sell both and find Linux to be easier to manage, more reliable and of course cheaper.

SolaDrive, May 2, 2017 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you need Windows-hosting for specific Windows software, ie IIS / Active Domain or anything of the like, I see no good reason to use a Windows-server over Linux. They cost more, are potentially harder to manage / keep secure, and doesn't provide any real benefit if you're gonna run an *AMP-stack anyway.

PoPSiCLe, May 4, 2017 IP
  5. GameO.Over

GameO.Over Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you give more details of what you will be running on the server you will get better advice - based on your initial post it seems like you don't need Windows hosting.

As already mentioned it's more expensive.

If you're running PHP applications you will be better off on a LAMP stack.

GameO.Over, May 5, 2017 IP
  6. harry_v

harry_v Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely, it will be a costly solution and you should go with windows only if your application/site really needs it. I recommend AccuWeb Hosting for your requirement. They will be able to setup your windows VPS with plesk. You will have ready-to-go environment for hosting your website.

harry_v, Nov 23, 2017 IP
  7. johnmiller445

johnmiller445 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Depends how you want to work and what you want to serve. Personally I’d use Linux for nearly any server for any purpose, definitely over a Windows server.

But that’s me. I prefer the lightness of only the stuff I really want, the complete security and reliability, the lack of convoluted licensing, etc. I’m not scared of a command line, so do not need an entire GUI desktop hogging resources just so I can point and click, though even if I needed one of those there are several desktops I could choose for install onto a Linux server as well.

Especially if this is a remote virtual server. One I’d have to administer over an internet connection. Security on my administrative tasks would be paramount, followed by response times and speed. This rules out nearly any form of GUI. An SSH connection would be ideal, very fast and very securely encrypted.
    https://www.bodhost.com/linux-vps

johnmiller445, Oct 18, 2019 IP
  8. trigshady

trigshady Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know nothing about Windows hosting except that it is way expensive and harder to manage. Why to bother?

trigshady, Nov 26, 2019 IP
  9. bountysite

bountysite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linux hosting is easier to manage and most commonly used.

Just want to let you know that windows hosting servers are being targeted by ransomware attacks. Few hosting providers have fallen into the trap. Ensure that your provider gives you offsite backup or use one if going for windows hosting.

bountysite, Nov 27, 2019 IP
  10. FaveHosting

FaveHosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linux all the way, windows is good for home PC only nothing else.

FaveHosting, Nov 30, 2019 IP
  11. tuxandrew

tuxandrew Active Member

Best Answers:
    Linux is good for hosting. There are great options like Linux-cPanel,Linux-Plesk,Linux-Directadmin,Linux+centoswebpanel,Linux+webmin etc..
    Few of them are completely free also they are bug free software's with regular security updates.
    Also in cPanel,webmin,centosweb panel, there are free bult-in advanced custom firewall available to protect the servers.

tuxandrew, Dec 1, 2019 IP