1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Ewitz, Nov 18, 2019.

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any and all feed back. Long story short I know literally zero about online marketing this includes building websites, generating leads, acquiring traffic and generally understanding lingo and terms associated with it all. I would like to shorten the learning curve as best as possible. Could anyone suggest where a complete amateur could learn the ropes quickly and easily? Should I sign up for school or join one of these YouTube links I keep getting in between my videos concerning Amazon affiliate? If anyone who is deep in the game would care to share their climb from the bottom that would be well received.

Ewitz, Nov 18, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's tons of information available online. It gets out of date fairly quickly so check the publish date before you commit time and energy to any tutorial or course.

What you need to learn will differ depending on your goals and resources.
    Want to supplement your income or replace your job?
    Have the budget to outsource the boring/difficult/time consuming jobs or need to DIY?
    Have a product or skill to sell or need to sell someone else's goods?

Tell us a bit about yourself and we can help point you in the right direction

sarahk, Nov 18, 2019 IP
  3. Ewitz

Ewitz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi SarahK, thankyou for the reply. Basically I am looking to completely replace the need to work a 9-5 job. I will have to start everything DIY at first but eventually I would like to hire for my various needs. I have no product to sell except maybe myself, possibly as a YouTube personality. I have also considered writing content, but I hear that is a tough market due to over saturation. Maybe affiliate marketing either through Amazon/Alibaba or by creating a website and driving traffic. I have no idea how to start any of these ideas in motion. Any recommendations?

Ewitz, Nov 18, 2019 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check for courses on Udemy. Like Sarah says, be careful in those you select. If you find something that looks promising, do a search on that course title + complaints. Do keep in mind that just because there are complaints about a particular product doesn't mean it's a bad product. Study the feel of any complaints you find. Some of those are from people who didn't bother to use the product and then get upset because the product didn't work for them.

One knowledge source I rely on is Paul Meyers. You can subscribe to his Talk Biz newsletter and check his products. He has some good ones.

JoeSpirit, Nov 19, 2019 IP
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First, I don't think you should go with Amazon at all.
    One reason is that their affiliate cookie is valid for only 24 hours, if I remember correctly,
    and second reason is that I have read lots of reviews from their affiliates about how Amazon screwed them,
    and this segment is highly saturated.
    I am pretty sure you will end up spending money and getting scammed by some system which auto generates an Amazon affiliate website, with lots of products loaded, and your affiliate link attached already.
    You will buy the system, set it all up, website will be up and running, then nothing. No sales, no commissions...

Secondly, replacing a regular job with an online affiliate website is not a good idea, at least not for now.
    Online work is actually tougher. Every 3-4 years something new comes up, and old methods become obselete.
    Like there used to be directories and forums just 10 years back, best way to get some back links. Does not works anymore.
    Now its social media which replaced all those other websites.
    5-10 years later, something else will come up, and you will need to do everything all over again.

Search Engine Optimization, SEO, changes even faster.

Not to mention, if one thing is working for someone else, does not means that it will work for you too.
    Like someone tells you, go to twitter and make interesting tweets and people will follow you (buy your products later), it worked for them but it might not work for you.
    Your writing skills are different, your knowledge about the industry is different etc etc, many factors come into play.
    When it doesn't works, you might get demotivated...

You will definitely need to find that "thing" which works for "you" specifically, your style, your timings, your expertise etc.
    Cannot blindly copy/duplicate someone elses program layout.
    By the way, you will find lots of people selling those types of products, "duplicate my success..." LOL

Becoming a personality on youtube is also not easy, although not impossible too.
    This is from India, there is a good looking girl who is probably the worst singer in this entire world. Donkeys bray better than her.
    She started uploading videos of her songs, unbearable videos, but she became popular because so many people hated her singing...
    Everyone started sharing those lame videos with comments like, "giving competition to donkeys, she bursted my ear drums, etc..."
    She got millions and millions of views on her videos, made lots of money.
    She even released more videos, people waited, so they can funny comment again.
    She is in bollywood movies now. LMAO

The point is, you never know what will suddenly start working, making you money.
    Lots of nice and informative things might never catch attention, and some lame thing might, impossible to say.
    so if you want to try something on youtube, try to take a different approach than others. May be your style of presentation will draw attention of people, nobody knows.
    I remember another person from youtube, Shawn something. He makes stock market videos.
    His level of energy is unmatched. Liked his videos very much and simply for this reason.
    He is telling the same thing which others are telling, but in a different way.

That girl made money sounding lame, this guy makes money sounding authoritative.

Also, if you are going to try affiliate marketing, try to look for products which people might buy on impulse.
    Don't try to look for high commission products, those are more difficult to sell.

Good luck!

JEET, Nov 19, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and mmerlinn like this.
  6. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi.
    First starting out! Before implementing your ideas you need to do your homework on getting to know about backlinks and what they are. Read everything you can about backlinks. Generate enough backlinks and your affiliate links will then hopefully produce you income. The currency of the internet is backlinks. No one will go to your site if they can't get there through a backlink. Keep that in mind ok. I hope that that information helps you and that it is also basic enough to understand. Once you know how crucial backlinks are in obtaining them then you know how they can lead you to generating income on the web. Best of luck to you.

davilama2682, Nov 19, 2019 IP
    KeithCash likes this.
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JEET, Nov 19, 2019 IP
  8. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would pick one thing like the Youtuber personality and stick with it. Now since you know what you're going to do you can become a master at it. You can learn all you can about that. That would be much better than trying many things at once.

To learn you can use Google and just start finding gurus and content related to what you want to do, e.g. Youtube marketing.

Use tools to help you learn example Google Keep to take notes - there are many ways of course, find your favorites.

It's the same process if you want to become an affiliate or other things. Pick one thing and master it. From that one thing, the starting point you can then move / evolve to other things. Basically as you take action you'll start to understand even better what's the ideal thing for you.

A lot of successful marketers started multiple different websites / businesses in various niches before doing something that actually worked for them.

If you're interested in creating and selling your own digital products I recommend Miles Beckler, find him on Youtube.

jacksarlo, Dec 13, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and JEET like this.
  9. innateseo

innateseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on how you learn, I would suggest either watching a YouTube video everyday on a specific topic like you mentioned, or just order and read a bunch of books off Amazon.

I prefer to read, that is only because I feel as if I can move at my own pace.

If I had to recommend one book, it would be: Ecommerce Get it Right!

innateseo, Dec 17, 2019 IP
  10. TagYourLeads

TagYourLeads Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    first you need to understand for yourself what exactly you want to do! and begin to learn how to do this and begin to do, because when you begin to do smth you begin to understand better, what and how.
    good luck

TagYourLeads, Dec 17, 2019 IP
  11. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would look into step bt step training. If you are just starting out. Its going to take work but its doable. You can DM me if you have any questions.

kb24, Dec 20, 2019 IP
  12. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My advice if you want to take the best shortcut its to dont miss email marketing but be aware that this its not an easy thing how its presented by majority of gurus out there ,as many they tell you just to build tour email list and money will come very easy .Just buy theyr course and boom you will start making 100 per day .In im nothing its easy and you need patience

Spartan14, Dec 20, 2019 IP