1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same Header & Footer for Main site & Sub-Domain is against to SEO Guidelines?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chinna Botla, Oct 30, 2019.

I have a client site for Ex - site.com. Its blog site is blog.site.com

Main website site.com's menu bar is having 50 links, the same menu section with 50 links we have placed in the footer. Which means 50 links in the header and 50 links in the footer.

The same header (50 links) & footer (50 links) we are using for blog.site.com

Below are my queries.
    1. Keeping the header (50 links) and footer (50 links) the same on the website will hurt SEO?
    2. Shall I need to add nofollow tag for footer links (50 links)?
    3. Using main domain.com links in the header (50 links) and footer (50 links) of blog.domain.com is that spamming?

Please help!

Chinna Botla, Oct 30, 2019 IP
  2. nabil_kadimi

nabil_kadimi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Keeping the header (50 links) and footer (50 links) the same on the website will hurt SEO?

That's quite a lot but it shouldn't hurt if the links are relevant (e.g. navigation/sitemap links).
    Having also the same links repeated won't hurt.
    Just make sure the links are relevant and useful to your users.

2. Shall I need to add nofollow tag for footer links (50 links)?

I wouldn't do that if the links are relevant. Unless you really want to devaluate those links

3. Using main domain.com links in the header (50 links) and footer (50 links) of blog.domain.com is that spamming?
    Not necessarily.

nabil_kadimi, Nov 5, 2019 IP
    Andrii Ozemko likes this.
  3. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To my opinion, 50 links are way too many and since you are repeating the same link on the footer that would not help at all on the SEO aspect. Neither does it help by placing the nofollow tag.

Just select the links to pages most relevant and with content that is keyword rich and these are the ones to be placed on the main page and then create sublink from there.

lycos, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  4. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of copy pasting links in header and footer, why don't you put a single link in the footer saying, "back to top", clicking it will scroll the browser back to top and people can click whatever they want...

Having the same thing on blog will not hurt.

Generally people use their keywords in their anchor text, and with 100 same or similar keywords, google will probably mark your site as spammy...

JEET, Nov 17, 2019 IP
  5. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Depends a lot on what kind of links that you have. If they are internal links, and the anchor text is not spammy, then it will not matter how you place your links nor how many times. Search engine bots ignore duplicate links so no issue there.

If your links go to pages that you want your visitors to visit, DO NOT no follow them. You WANT the search bots to find the same pages that your visitors are looking to find.

My main page (https://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm) has THOUSANDS of links, some of them repeated a dozen times on the page, yet Google has no issues with them whatsoever. According to Google Webmaster, my keywords (anchor text) on average land in the #9 spot in Google search results and I get a click through rate of about 10%.

The main thing you do NOT want to do is to spam your anchor text. Google WILL punish you for that. Just keep the anchor text short and RELEVANT to your site.

If your links go off-site, make sure they do not link to spammy or other types of black hat sites. Google severely frowns on that.

mmerlinn, Nov 17, 2019 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @mmerlinnHow do I check that click through and search position using webmaster tools?
    I recently submitted my site there, got indexing info.

JEET, Nov 17, 2019 IP
  7. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is no longer called webmaster tools, but now has some stupid name that I cannot remember. Further, it quit working on this computer, so I cannot even tell you what to do. Stupid Google, fix what is not broken, and now it is broken.

Out of the dozens of computers I have, Google tools only works on two of them and they are 200 miles from here.

If you do a Google search for webmaster tools you should be able to find the "new" updated broken turtle-speed version of it. Play with it and you should be able to figure out where to find what you need.

mmerlinn, Nov 17, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JEET, Nov 18, 2019 IP