1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating something Iconic for a Brand

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Kerry Allan, Nov 3, 2019.

This is not technically about Internet marketing, but perhaps somebody here can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to create something I don't even have a name for.

Think about Victoria's Secret. "Angels" are something they have associated with their brand. It's not their logo, nor is it a mascot. But their Angles are Iconic.

Think about Playboy. "Bunny" is also not a logo or a mascot, but surely everybody has heard of Playboy bunnies.

So what do we call these Iconic figures? I need to create one for a brand I'm working on and I'm seeking a designer, but I don't even know what to ask for.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks again

Kerry

Kerry Allan, Nov 3, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Mascot

A company I was involved with had been convinced that creating a mascot that would be recognisable by the general population was a good idea. We were gobsmacked. There was no way the product had the appeal, nor that the company had the marketing budget, to pull this off.

A mascot can still be a good idea and it can tie your marketing efforts together but be realistic about your goals.

FWIW it doesn't need to be expensive - this guy is instantly recognisable in New Zealand because of the marketing spend for a major retailer but a simple stick figure might be all you need. I'm guessing he doesn't translate well to a costumed character at events so consider just how much you want your mascot to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sarahk, Nov 3, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is a bit of semantics, but the Playboy Bunny (the drawing on the logo, not the waitresses in the classic Bunny outfits) is actually the "mascot" in strict marketing terms. The Bunny waitresses might more appropriately be called Playboy "Brand Ambassadors" much like the Victoria's Secret "Angels." Typically, a "mascot" is not a real person, though I am sure that there are exceptions out there.

jrbiz, Nov 4, 2019 IP