1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Effects of Buying A Domain Used Before

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Ali Eren, Oct 29, 2019.

Hello,

I want to create a new website, and I've searched for best domain that I can buy about the topic. I found it but when I made a WhoIs check, I found out that the domain was used by somebody else a few years ago. That what WhoIs result says:
    I wonder if I have problems if I buy that domain name. Would it effect my website's seo or AdSense approval or something?

Ali Eren, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  2. trigshady

trigshady Active Member

Best Answers:
    As the domain was used a long time ago, it shouldn't do you anything bad. If the domain doesn't have its authority, it's the other thing that can do harm to your SEO, however, as I said before, it was used a long time ago.

trigshady, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  3. Ali Eren

Ali Eren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The oldest record dates back more than 6 years but last record was made last year. Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "If the domain doesn't have its authority". I just used "Website “Authority” Checker" and the result was "Data is not available.". I think I may have been misinformed. I haven't purchased the domain name yet, it's not in use right now.
    (English is not my native language, forgive my mistakes.)

4. trigshady

trigshady Active Member

Best Answers:
    I meant what were the websites that linked to your domain before, as if they are with low DA, it could be a problem to get your SEO really high.

trigshady, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  5. Ali Eren

Ali Eren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    OK, I understand. Thank you!

6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It can hurt, and also benefit. Works both ways.

When google indexes websites, it categorizes them. Suppose that domain was categorized as a "medicine" site, and now you put up a "software review" site on it, then it will take time for SEO to kick in.

However, if the theme is similar, this could actually benefit!

See if you can find some old pages of that website somehow, may be in some archive or something. Bring those back to life.

JEET, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Oct 29, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com
    That site opens for you? Its not opening for me here...

JEET, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  9. Ali Eren

Ali Eren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This website helped me alot, thank you!
    I checked the website on archive.org. It was a website about minecraft at 2013, then flash game web site at 2014 and there was no results for 2018. Domain name contains "minecraft" and my content will be about minecraft too. So I think there will be no problem with categorization. But at 2013-14 there was advertisements on the web site. Would website's adsense history be a problem?
    It opens for me.

JEET likes this.
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like its internet connection issue here...

Website's ad history should not be an issue. Your adsense account is different from what the website used earlier.

Its your account history, and website's current content that adsense approval team will check.

JEET, Oct 29, 2019 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Check out if other sites have run foul of microsoft for having minecraft in their domain names. It may explain why the previous sites were dropped.

sarahk, Oct 29, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh My GOD, you really selected an extremely tough niche to rank for...
    I just searched for "MineCraft", and I don't think I can beat "any" of those websites in rankings...
    Microsoft, Google play, twitter, wikipedia, these are the websites on first page...
    On top of that you are saying that you barely have any content, like 300 word articles...

You will really need to go into something very specific and deep about this game, something about which barely any info is available.
    Very deep keyword.

To make it worse, your monetisation is adsense.
    They pay in pennies.

I am not sure if you will be able to even pay for hosting of this website, by income made from this website itself...

Not trying to demotivate you friend, but its going to be very tough.

JEET, Oct 29, 2019 IP
    qwikad.com and sarahk like this.
  13. Ali Eren

Ali Eren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for warning. I read carefully what you said and I agree with what you say. But the keyword that I will use is not plain "minecraft". I'll be using some different keywords, and most important one is in the domain (I don't want to say it now). Before I decided to create that website, I made a ametour research and wordtracker.com showed that the keywords that I'll use has very low competetion rate in my country. Also 2-3 years ago I was running a website with same theme but I was just a beginner and I couldn't have done a lot. But I managed to get +300 hits a day. Now I have a little more knowledge and equipment.

Ali Eren, Oct 30, 2019 IP
  14. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are mainly targeting your own country, make sure to get a domain with appropriate extension, or mention your country's name a couple of times on homepage if getting a .com domain. Google prefer to show country specific results whenever possible. Take care

JEET, Oct 30, 2019 IP
  15. Ali Eren

Ali Eren Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I didn't know about that, thank you. So, if I buy .com.tr (Turkey domain) instead of .net, it'll effect SEO, right?
    Update: There is a little problem for me. For .com.tr registiration, I need to pay x5 more. Will it worth it or would .net be enough?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Ali Eren, Oct 31, 2019 IP
  16. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ali Eren
    Yes, it will definitely affect SEO, but this is not the only factor google will use to determine if content is country specific or not, but this helps.

JEET, Oct 31, 2019 IP
  17. KeithCash

KeithCash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did the same thing. The domain I bought had a past. We will see if that will be a good or bad thing over time.

KeithCash, Nov 14, 2019 IP
  18. BenYola

BenYola Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi @aLeN I would suggest that before you buy the domain. Do some research about the existing links and archive of the pages. There are so many tools out there, you can use Neil Patel backlink checker. It's a case to case basis on the domain.

BenYola, Nov 14, 2019 IP