1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proving someone lied about being Hacked

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Kacie Riley, Oct 25, 2019.

I made the mistake of doing some work for an Adult site back in 2018. I’ll never work for one again. They keep trying to spread lies around Twitter that I was responsible for hacking their site.

- They made all sorts of bizarre claims like claiming their CPU was damaged in the attack. Which is pretty unlikely given most web hosts would never allow a server in their network to overheat.
    - They also claimed their site came back online damaged. Most web hosts would never allow a dedicated server compromised by a DDOS attack o online.

They were using Host For Geeks at the time they claimed their site was taken down by a DDOS attack. Host 4 Geeks is an award winning internationally recognized Cyber Security company that specializes in DDOS attack mitigation. These guys perform Network hardening for e-commerce clients around the world. This one of the top Data Centre and Hosting companies in the US with a state of the art facility.

How can I go about proving these guys are lying about being hacked. Their story is divorced from reality.

Kacie Riley, Oct 25, 2019 IP
  2. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Show the payment invoice/receipt of payment they made to you, and tell people that you actually worked on the site and got paid by them. It was authorized work, not hacking.

JEET, Oct 25, 2019 IP
  3. Kacie Riley

Kacie Riley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This accusation occurred 6 months after the work was completed. They were anger about a mistake they made. They intentionally took their own site offline, claimed a DDOS attack happened.

Kacie Riley, Oct 25, 2019 IP
  4. Kacie Riley

Kacie Riley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I’m wondering how much I would accomplish by reaching out to Host 4 Geeks to find out what happened. Will the Host provider be willing to cooperate without having to involve law enforcement in this case?

Kacie Riley, Oct 26, 2019 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you are headed to court for a legal hearing or trial you don't need to prove anything to anyone. If you want the lies being spread around social media to cease just simply stop engaging with them. People only post things about others on social media to "fire back at them" and get them to engage because they feel that it will strike a nerve and they will get their ultimate revenge. It's simple to put out the fire. Don't add fuel to it. If you can't control yourself then take a 2 week break from social media and stop reading their private messages, emails etc.

I am willing to bet somewhere in the middle lies the truth. You did work for them. You didn't like some sort of outcome (pay? more gigs? treatment?) and voiced your opinion through some sort of means in a less than professional behavior. Then they decided to trigger you to revenge you. You want it to stop. They want it to stop. So just stop.

NetStar, Oct 26, 2019 IP
    sarahk and JEET like this.
  6. Kacie Riley

Kacie Riley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No, I have remained professional and I have yet to respond or message anyone on Twitter. I’m being proactive in this case rather than reactive.

It’s always painful when you work hard only to have a client screw you over.

They’re mad because I stopped work on the project after they failed to pay the third deposit agreed upon in the contract.

I acted within my legal rights. They failed to honour the agreement for the work.

This is probably one of those teachable moments. That’ll be the last adult site project I ever work-on.

It’s an industry full of shady dishonest people. I should’ve been smarter and shouldn’t be surprised they would do something like this.

Kacie Riley, Oct 27, 2019 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why did they fail to pay the 3rd deposit? There has to be a reason. If lack of funds were the reason they wouldn't be looking to slander your name as it would be utterly obvious why you stopped working.
    I bet you there is a dispute on what you are owed. Hence why they stopped payment and you stopped working. Then coincidentally they got a DDoS attack? C'mon now... Just move on. You don't need to be proactive or reactive. Just move the F on.

I think you probably acted unprofessional. It doesn't make sense that they randomly decided to stop paying you when they were happy with your work and expected a finish product. It also doesn't make sense that they accused you of a DDoS attack if you have been professional. Just move on... end of problem.

NetStar, Oct 29, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.