1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I stay with 1dollar webhosting for my forum?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016.

I have the silver plan and I just got a dedicated IP address and that was $12. Should I stay with them? The hosting is pretty good, but support is kinda slow.

CarpCharacin, Aug 14, 2016 IP
  2. jsmcm

jsmcm Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its hard to tell... If the hosting is good then I can't see why you should not stay with them?? When your forum grows then you can re-evaluate.

The one bit of advice I will give you is that many cheap hosting providers find out after a few months / years that they actually aren't making a living so they just abandon ship. If you're going to stick with a cheap provider then at the very least make sure you have regular backups. Depending on how busy your site it you'll probably want to do weekly or daily FULL backups (site + db)...

jsmcm, Sep 18, 2016 IP
  3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Best Answers:
    They have been around since 2006. I have been using them for almost 2 years and the hosting is fast.

CarpCharacin, Sep 18, 2016 IP
  4. Dynadot

Dynadot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should ask yourself if their hosting is working for you. It sounds like it is other than maybe their support being slow. I guess you should evaluate whether or not that's an issue for you and go from there. The price is cheap for the hosting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's meeting your needs. You could also shop around and see if there is any other hosting that might work for you and then compare the pros and cons of each.

Dynadot, Sep 19, 2016 IP
  5. JeffMichaels

JeffMichaels Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't try to fix what isn't broken. If your site loads fast, uptime is solid, and technical support is reasonably responsive, then I would stay put. You'd be jeopardizing the success of your website if you move to a cheaper/lesser/newer web host.

JeffMichaels, Sep 19, 2016 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  6. MechanicWeb-shoss

MechanicWeb-shoss Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are happy with them, I'd suggest to stay put. No point in leaving something that's been working for you. just make sure you have periodic backup of your website, in case you need it.

MechanicWeb-shoss, Sep 27, 2016 IP
  7. webtode

webtode Peon

Best Answers:
    I see that this thread has been quiet for several years, so here is an update. I started using 1dollarwebhosting in 2017. It was hard to get started. The documentation is minimal, and some of the guides have broken links, then and now. As far as I can tell the company barely exists and subcontracts to others. And yes, support is slow, and sometimes does not respond. Yet, I am renewing. Why? Well, mainly the price and the fact that it's stayed up and usable the whole time. Here are seven points of advice:
    1. If your support ticket is not answered in a reasonable time, post another titled, "please answer my ticket opened [days] ago" and then restate your question. The time length to wait depends on whether you marked your ticket urgent. If it really is urgent I think 72 hours is the max I would wait.
    2. If you need help to understand something like add-on domains, you probably won't find it on their site. Search the internet for instructions. This stuff is done in cPanel and not entirely controlled by the host service. If you pay for a service like GoDaddy, you get a more integrated UI, but not with this service.
    3. Using an externally hosted domain is not simple like for other hosts. You need to enter the 1dollarwebhosting nameservers associated with your account. I won't tell you the ones that I am using, because it could be different for you, but your domain provider can help you find them.
    4. The instructions for accessing cPanel on the URL line are just plain wrong. The only thing that ever works is to access cPanel from the link on the left side navigation bar when you looking at your active domain page.
    5. If you signed up for the minimum plan, you will eventually get warnings that you are going to exceed your storage quota. Even if your public_html fold is no more than a few files and public_ftp is empty. You will need to go into the other folders seen in File Manager and delete logs and other items that you do not use that both were installed by default and which "grow" as events are recorded, and which will not crash your hosting. For that you may need some help, and I never found a guide, I just winged it.
    6. It might seem logical to ask cPanel for support, but they don't support individuals. However, their help files are quite good.
    7. I do my best to keep notes so that I can maintain the site. Otherwise I forget all the quirks. Start a document, and every time you learn something, write it in here and include screen shots!

webtode, Aug 6, 2019 IP
  8. Ron Peters

Ron Peters Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Are you getting optimal uptime and website speed? If your web hosting is providing you with 99 percent uptime and fast hosting speed you should stick with them. Do not fall for cheaper hosting services.

Ron Peters, Aug 12, 2019 IP
  9. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you get great service

dts-net, Aug 17, 2019 IP
  10. Beatren

Beatren Peon

Best Answers:
    Bringing the thread back to life I see. Here's how you should look at your hosting provider: As long as you are satisfied with it then keep it. But here's a thing, if you are planning to grow, make sure they will be able to handle the amount of traffic you are getting later on, does upgraded plan have more to offer, also you would want to upgrade your website so you don't stay old fashioned, so make sure they are able to adapt to that offering you what you need, I am pretty sure you are going to have difficulties in the future if the support is slow as it will slow down your productiveness. When your website is small I think it's fine, actually I think if you still don't have much traffic and the support is slow, it kind of sounds too expensive for such webhost? Anyways, think about all those features and decide, of course you can just switch to a new hosting whenever you need to, but I wouldn't recommend doing so the last minute.

Beatren, Aug 26, 2019 IP
  11. ResellBox.Net

ResellBox.Net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try switching to place were technical support is the highest priority task , and are on the top notch support provider.
    Resell box can get you that support Or there is option to get a tech savvy to resolve all the technical issues on the sever

ResellBox.Net, Sep 21, 2019 IP
  12. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Getting hosting for $1 and still complaining about support? That's crazy! Be happy if the site is up at all.

mike30, Oct 18, 2019 IP
  13. bountysite

bountysite Active Member

Best Answers:
    When your hosting grows and you are having performance issues, then think.
    If uptime and site load time is good, stick with it. Slow support is ok, considering what you are paying for.

bountysite, Oct 23, 2019 IP