1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best approach to market a software

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by dtommy79, Oct 10, 2019.

Hi,
    I've built a software that I intend to sell. What do you think would be the best way to approach:

1. Offer a free download with a 7-day trial. or

2. Charge for the software and offer an X day full refund.

Any other ideas are appreciated
    Thanks

dtommy79, Oct 10, 2019 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Can you provide a bit more information to help us help you:

1. What is the price point for the software?

2. What is the target market(s) for the software?

3. Is it an app for PC's or mobile devices or is it a SaaS offering?

4. Is it easy to learn and use or is it complex and requires a learning curve?

5. Are there competitive products to the software? If so, how do they market their product?

FYI, I have been leading sales and marketing teams offering a wide array of B2B software to a long list of different markets for a few decades. Happy to help if you can provide a bit more information.

jrbiz, Oct 12, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  3. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A tutorial video content that discusses the awesome benefits that they can receive if the people uses your software in the field.

KylieSweet, Oct 15, 2019 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Feedback from the app community is that being able to embed an ad will bring better revenue thank selling the app.

If you can charge a subscription fee for the software you'll earn more than charging a one-off fee.

You could also consider freemium - where it's pretty much free until the user needs a particular feature, has X records, etc

Then you have to consider what billing systems your competitors are using. You probably need to fit in with their ways - subscriptions, one off fee, freemium, ads

FWIW I use 99% freeware - the one program I do pay for is expensive but absolutely worth every penny.

sarahk, Oct 15, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. perfectpoint

perfectpoint Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it will really depend on how long it will take for the user to realize the full potential and value of your software. If you have something that they may only use for a short period of time but is very useful for a quick job, then I would set the trial to a shorter time. If its something that they continuously use for some time, then you could go for a longer trial period to let users get used to your software. Once the trial runs out you've created a new pain point that they know how to fix (purchasing your software)

perfectpoint, Oct 20, 2019 IP
  6. Andrii Ozemko

Andrii Ozemko Member

Best Answers:
    1. Free version must be available, otherwise users won't buy your application. Free version should be limited by time (14 days for example) or by functionality. You can combine this two approaches. It depends on your software. I prefer limitation by functionality. In this case users can use my free application and not to look for something else.
    2. 30 days refund is the most common case. It is enought to test the application and decide. Free version also should be available to avoid a lot of refunds.

Andrii Ozemko, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  7. Abhiram Raju

Abhiram Raju Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was promoting a recruitment Software which has Applicant Tracking System which is aimed at promoting to the recruiters in places like Mnnesota, New York , New Jersey through google ads but the pricing is quite high for USA compared with India.

The cost is somewhere around $16 per click for search campaign and $5 per viewable CPM.

Just wanna know if there are any economical ways to promote our product in ad networks with constant pricing.

Abhiram Raju, Oct 24, 2019 IP
  8. sarah_t

sarah_t Peon

Best Answers:
    Offer a free download with a 7-day trial.
    That's the best way.
    And it does wonders with advertising.

sarah_t, Oct 27, 2019 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What @sarahk said is the best option.
    Give a free download, keep the software free until user needs a specific feature activated, then charge according to competition.

Personally, I will not download and install a 7 day trial software.
    Its not enough time to get used to the software GUI and functionality.

JEET, Oct 28, 2019 IP
  10. Syn Gates

Syn Gates Peon

Best Answers:
    You should use both of them, and then add more value like documentation or customer support. You can use incentive to encourage users to refer their friends to use the software

Syn Gates, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  11. Mike2718

Mike2718 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I like the first option more. People like free stuff.. I would use it if it is fee

Mike2718, Nov 20, 2019 IP