1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

It's that time of the year again

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qwikad.com, Aug 28, 2019.

Dorian is upon us. They are saying it may grow into a category 3 storm by the time it reaches us Sunday evening / Monday morning. Need to tie down the shed. The shed by our old house was like a mini house, very sturdy, this one is a vinyl one, it will end up somewhere else if I don't tie it down. Went shopping today, most stores don't have any bottled water left. Somehow we managed to buy some. Lines at the gas stations. Pray for us.

We are where that small green dot is:

[​IMG]

qwikad.com, Aug 28, 2019 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    A friend in Jacksonville cut short his vacation to come back and batten down the hatches. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jrbiz, Aug 29, 2019 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a lot of drama from the meteorologists up here. Hard to tell if it is serious or they are just trying to pump up their ratings numbers. What is your latest take on things?

jrbiz, Aug 30, 2019 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Looks like it's heading towards Miami as a category 3-4 hurricane. At least, that's what they've been showing all morning long. Currently it has almost come to a stop over the Atlantic (moving at 10-12 mph). It may be late Monday before it reaches us. You know who is happy? The school kids. On top of getting a long Labor day weekend, they may get the whole next week off. Lucky bastards. :)

qwikad.com, Aug 30, 2019 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Was just watching cable news and they are comparing it to Andrew and Katrina, each of which caused $100+ Billion in damages, not because of the winds, but because of the water. Slow moving is not a good thing, in these cases.

jrbiz, Aug 30, 2019 IP
  6. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    The ground my house is sitting on is a couple feet higher, however, we are at the end of the street and the street is slanted towards us. We should be fine if the water rises, but it may wash away part of our lawn because of the slope. It'll be awful, because mine is a good Zoysia grass.

I will post before and after photos if there's a significant damage to our property.

qwikad.com, Aug 31, 2019 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Now they are saying that it might only brush by you and head up to the Carolinas. LOL, these are the same "experts" that claim that they can predict climate change 20 years out but can't even tell you where a major storm will head tomorrow. :)

You mentioned above that the kids love hurricanes (days off from school) but it is the grocery stores and hardware stores that REALLY love hurricane season. When I was with another company a few years ago, Home Depot and Lowes were my clients. They would ramp up as much as FEMA when a hurricane was forecast. Their sales go through the roof (pun intended.) ;)

jrbiz, Aug 31, 2019 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Disasters are Mother Nature's way of culling the population.

scurvy, Sep 2, 2019 IP
  9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Feel bad for the people in the Bahamas. Terrible, just terrible. It was supposed to be here by Sunday night, it's Tuesday morning and it's still rather calm. That's how unpredictable that thing is. This is my 3d hurricane. I begin to question my plans to live in FL long term. Half of the year you can't go out b/c it's 100F with 90% humidity, then the hurricane season, then about 4-6 months of a more or less enjoyable weather. I see FB posts of people saying they want to move to FL. All I want to say to them (sometimes), "Don't be stupid".

qwikad.com, Sep 3, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have been to FL many times (generally on business) and I find it to be mostly "muggy and buggy" for the most part. That said, I have no idea why anyone lives up here in New England, either. :)

CA has better weather but they have gotten so crowded that the traffic makes it completely unattractive as a place to live. I have occasionally thought about moving to the mid-Atlantic or perhaps even down as far as South Carolina, but they have their problems, too. (E.g., they may get hit by the hurricane, now.) The Pacific Northwest is nothing but fog and rain (from my limited experiences, there) so that is not a great option.

jrbiz, Sep 3, 2019 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  11. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    The US, in general, doesn't have perfect (or at least really good) places to live in. I was thinking NC or TN as a possible place to move to. We would probably still keep a house here in FL to winter and then live in one of those states. My wife's sister and her family live in NC they really enjoy their weather. Four distinct seasons, the winter is not too cold, the summer is hot, but not as humid. Sounds about perfect. And no, I would never move to New England, not my cup of tea. Plus Brady will be retiring soon there will be not much to root for. :)

qwikad.com, Sep 3, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    We were spared this time. Not much of anything. Rain and moderate wind.

qwikad.com, Sep 4, 2019 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Good to hear. We are supposed to see some rain and big waves on the coast come the weekend, but it will be more of a whimper than a roar. Not sure how the Carolinas are going to fare, however. There is chatter about serious flooding there.

jrbiz, Sep 4, 2019 IP
  14. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Jun 7, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, Jun 8, 2020 IP
  16. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Yes sir. I can't imagine what's happening right now in Texas and Louisiana. The weird name hurricane is just grazing FL, yet there's plenty of mess.

qwikad.com, Jun 8, 2020 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hurricane Cristobal, I believe?

jrbiz, Jun 8, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.