1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I started a new site. Can you give advice

Discussion in 'Websites' started by MedNew, Aug 23, 2019.

I started a new site. Can you give advice

Healty News
    mednew.net

MedNew, Aug 23, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, Aug 23, 2019 IP
  3. walantoklen

walantoklen Peon

Best Answers:
    Hm.. monitor your website and make sure it's not slow. I wouldn't separate categories depression drugs and then women and mens health, it sounds like it's off topic, although it's good that you are separating the pages. When I open the page it feels unappealing due to the menu, so perhaps put them in a category "health issues". So it goes like this: Men's health, Women's health, Health issues. Drugs and addiction certainly fall in the same category and you can put depression in health issues as well. As mentioned above, it's more likely that people will find your site trustable if you give a strong proof why they can trust the information you provide - credentials. The last thing I noticed is that the site is not secure, although this is not an e-store and we don't put financial information here, people always feel better visiting a site which is SSL secured.

walantoklen, Aug 27, 2019 IP
  4. riggidb

riggidb Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty good, I love the colors. Make sure the text everywhere is the same size, where needed, especially in the privacy policy page. Also, the logo is in pretty bad quality, could be better.

riggidb, Aug 27, 2019 IP
  5. harleynash

harleynash Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try to use similar ads,it can help you also.

harleynash, Aug 28, 2019 IP
  6. petter.pan

petter.pan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that you can invest a bit more time into making the logo a bit better...?

petter.pan, Sep 16, 2019 IP
  7. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Stupid "loading spinner" is likely just throwing JavaScript at a poorly coded site, as @sarahk said, don't do that. IMHO that's like treating a pistol wound by shooting it with a rifle.

The page suffers on the accessibility front from declaring font-sizes and most other things in pixels. That's a complete /FAIL/ at web development. The lack of proper padding at the sides of some things -- like the search/menu area -- also bespeak issues with how it is implemented, and the ATTEMPT at being responsive fails miserably here with the whole site going akilter.

The MASSIVE space wasting stock photo makes it hard at first glance to even tell there IS content, and only makes what little responsiveness the site has even harder to put up with. I know the artsy-fartsy types out there under the delusion that they are designers have a raging hardon for that crap, but it's bad design. GET RID OF IT so people can get to your actual CONTENT.

It is slow loading, this is hardly a shock at 4.13 megabytes in 72 files. That it tries to use scripttardery to mask that -- FF's tools only reporting around half those numbers -- indicates slow scripted trash that's only making things worse. That 510k of that is JavaScript in 17 files and 215k of that is CSS spanning 9 files pretty much screams that the entire site was built using the 3i's of development: Ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude.

Popping the bonnet to look at the HTML said suspicions are confirmed. The train wreck laundry list of how NOT to build a serious website that is turdpress. It's hardly a shock that it is wasting 54k of HTML on delivering 4.24k of plaintext and seven content images -- not even 10k of HTML's flipping job! The endless pointless classes for nothing, endless pointless DIV for nothing, endless pointless META not one legitimate UA gives a flying purple fish about, static scripting in the markup, static style in the markup, pointless use of HTML 5's dumbass HEADER and FOOTER tags, gibberish document structure, absolute URI's for no good reason... they're all telltales of what happens when you try and take a program meant for a cutesy blog for grandma, and try to use it for something serious. It basically means whoever is building the website had ZERO qualifications to be making such a site.

Particularly if you want to get into health care. Be thankful you're building news copypasta and not a site for ACTUAL healthcare, since you've got multiple US ADA and UK EQA violations on the accessibility front. I know a few prosecutors who'd LOVE to have words with you if you used these development methods on a REAL healthcare site.

Hence if you brought that to me as a client, I'd tell you to junk the entire mess and start over.

deathshadow, Sep 16, 2019 IP