1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Separate sites for USA & Canada or one combined site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by barryk, Jul 30, 2019.

I have a manufacturing business and produce product that we sell in both USA and Canada. We have one location in Canada and one location in USA and both have GMB pages for them.

For the past 3 years I have had 2 websites with the purpose of thinking .com is needed to rank in USA and .ca is best for ranking in Canada. As well my prices are different for the 2 countries and I want to be sure people are looking at the correct product/pricing for their country.
    My rankings for .ca are very good for ranking in Canada.
    My rankings for .com are not as good for ranking in USA (rank 6-7 for important keywords). My .com site also ranks in Canada at about 6-7.

I am curious about switching to only one domain (.com) for both sites as I wondering if I am diluting things and harming my 'brand name' across both sites. I don't want to lose my high Canadian rankings. Also not sure how to direct people to proper pages at site for pricing etc.

Any thoughts?

barryk, Jul 30, 2019 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Keep it the way it is, it makes more sense. On the other hand quite a few sites have multiple domain extensions, but they all go back to the .com domain name. Don't just get rid of your .ca domain name, just redirect it to your .com one. As far as changing the products and prices. That's a tough one. You can do this by the users' ip addresses. Another option would be having a choice: "I am in the US" / "I am in Canada". But it just over complicates everything. I honestly think you'd be better off just keeping it the way it is. There's no guarantee that your SE rankings will go up if you switch to one domain extension. It theory it could, but it's not guaranteed.

qwikad.com, Jul 30, 2019 IP
  3. Oso Optimized

Oso Optimized Active Member

Best Answers:
    No doubt it would be a gamble to move to one site. As mentioned in the prior reply, feeding more link juice to one site might help in ranking for some keywords. But I would also expect you to lose some of your current keyword reach. Less content means less diversification.

Oso Optimized, Aug 4, 2019 IP