1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it possible to be honest?......Tell the truth now.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have always prided myself on at least trying to be honest. But is it possible to be honest all the time? I mean how can we be when involved with business for example? Isn't the idea to buy low and sell high? So what do we do?

We exaggerate the positives while downplaying the negatives. Is this not a casual form of dishonesty? What about lying to the government or cheating on our taxes in order to save money?

In our personal relationships how many of us bend or twist the truth like a lawyer does in court? And to our friends and family, do we not engage in untruths even if it is to spare their feelings? (white lie)

Alas, I feel that trying to be 100% honest is almost impossible if one wants to successfully engage other people in any interaction at all. I have resolved to be at least 90% honest in everything I do. To be 100% honest is frankly not possible.

What say you, are you honest? Or are you going to come on here and lie about it.;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    Sumit_Singh likes this.
  2. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I always try to be honest if posssible...the same can't be said about the thieving little turd/s that just stole 70 of my likes..:)

malky66, Jul 30, 2019 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^Et tu Brute? Last week I lost 5 likes, the week before another 5. A couple of months a go about 20 likes. I estimate that I've lost 150 in all since the like system came in to play.
    The cluster failure lost me about 30 and perhaps another 30 from thread deletions. I also lost 15 likes because I posted something nasty on someone's profile.(since deleted) Two members have admitted to me that they didn't like me (PM's) because of my tendency to report so that might explain some. So, I don't sweat the likes....members giveth and members taketh...fair enough.;)

4. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Nah nor me, they can take 'em all for all I care, shame they weren't man enough to own up to it.

malky66, Jul 30, 2019 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Actually one member did admit to me that they had taken away a dozen likes and he even told me why. PM me if you want and I'll tell you all about it.

6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Honesty is the best policy until it isn't. There also are varying degrees of honesty, of course. You can say something honestly but deceive by omission or by crafting the statement to be misinterpreted. Sometimes, honesty would just be cruel, anyway (e.g., you look fat in that outfit.) I do not think that any human can be (or should be) completely honest all of the time.

On the "like" discussion: who would have the time or the incentive to mass remove likes from someone else? The remover needs to get a life.

jrbiz, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Aristotle went about ancient Athens for an hour with a lit candle in a dish. His students followed him around until finally one asked, "Master why are you walking around with a lit candle in the daylight?" Aristotle answered "I'm trying to find even one honest man".

8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    OMG lies by omission are essential to sane and safe living

Things I won't be saying anytime soon:
    • If you ask me if this specific top/shoes/etc is new one more time I'm going to scream
    • I can't believe you're milking your divorce as an excuse not to work when you separated 12 years ago and made it official 3 years ago
    • I loathe cooking but I loathe take out more
    • Watching tv every evening drives me insane
    None of those things is secret but what's to be gained by repeating them?

sarahk, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes, I concur.....to protect myself and others I have/will make my honesty take a back seat from time to time.

10. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I fully agree with you and it's not possible, to be honest, all the time. If we are running any business then it is a stupid thing to be said we are honest because none of the business can grow with honesty. I know my statement is confusing because of how people will trust if we aren't honest. So I simply mean that if we are doing business and do not work for the profit then there is no sense to do it. Here honesty depends on how we can treat our clients or the customers, what we give them different and the best in the market, is our product really worth for money or we just make our customers fool.

No one can be 100% honest even Government too so if we lie or cheat Govt. to save some money, I don't think so it wrong because you can't save much and you have to pay almost 90% of the tax after cheating or lying. (It is not the topic BTW)

It is a totally different thing and depends on the circumstances. No one is real in this world and do things that make them happy (no matter it comes from the lie or the truth). Sometimes we have to have lied to the person we love the most just because we can't hurt them with the truths. So, if you are 100% honest then people will think you are an actor or fake. So balancing is the best thing.

I do not know about other but I am not 100% honest.

Sumit_Singh, Jul 30, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. PiliB12

PiliB12 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    In present time is so difficult to be honest. I think most of us liying at least to safe our close people. But in general all of us need to be honest !So we need always to try our best! Good luck !

PiliB12, Jul 31, 2019 IP
  12. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Not if you're female. They're programmed to be manipulative.

dcristo, Jul 31, 2019 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    ^^^ Very good post, you made some excellent points. I also thank you for your honesty.

@PiliB12 I agree, while difficult we ought to at least try to be honest when we can.

@dcristo I believe that all humans may be conditioned (learned behavior) to be manipulative as opposed to being programmed.

Spoiltdiva, Jul 31, 2019 IP
    Sumit_Singh likes this.
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    And all Australians are descended from criminals...

sarahk, Jul 31, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  15. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Isn't it ironical how Australia is sending Kiwi criminals back to New Zealand :D

dcristo, Aug 3, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I have two close friends. One is a very successful business woman. The other is a hard working contractor. While they both have a wonderful work ethic and are highly intelligent people, they are both in denial. They are not able to see themselves as they really are.
    They constantly butt heads with people and are incapable of seeing how their actions/attitudes affect others around them. Then when I talk to them about this, they twist the event around and omit their part in it.

This is a form of dishonesty that I see from time to time, the inability to be honest with ones self. I believe that critical self analysis is a vital component to honesty. But alas, it takes courage to be able to judge yourself. Because if you were to do so, you might not like what you see.

Spoiltdiva, Aug 4, 2019 IP
  17. Speedy_J

Speedy_J Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get your Cynics right, you're talking about Diogenes, and he did a bunch of other 'brutally honest stuff' you might find interesting.

What is important, IMO, is that you try - and that 90% of the time you 'achieved' kinda makes me laugh ;))

Anyways, maybe use 'alas' a bit more parsimoniously, it annoys me almost as much as when I see 'anyways' at me ;)

Speedy_J, Aug 8, 2019 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I see you have elected to criticize me rather than comment much on the topic or discuss your honesty. A bored little troll with too much time on his hands or self esteem issues. Does criticizing others makes you feel better about yourself? If it works for you then fine.
    As to my glaring mistakes, well I did not really speak much English until I was 12 years old, still have work to do I guess. Vous etes pompeux et arrogant.;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Aug 8, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    "Alas" is a word, "anyways" is not.

Do not be petty and let those with more expressive language upset you. In written communication we use our vocabulary, rather than our body language or voice, to add nuance.

sarahk, Aug 8, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn and Spoiltdiva like this.
  20. Speedy_J

Speedy_J Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Touche.

But the rest? you trying to be silly funny too?

You do realize she's projecting a lot with her posts, - you think it's the first time she starts calling names in a thread?

I had my reasons posting this, and they weren't a lack of understanding various types of communication and/or awe at her impressive vocabulary. Though that is a heats off achievement I don't argue or even made a point of.

Speedy_J, Aug 9, 2019 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.