1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP Framework

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Juan Smith, Jul 26, 2019.

Hi, I'm Juan, I'm 26 years old and I'm a programmer with 5 years of experience in the PHP area, I'm currently with Laravel
    Any recommendations of which other Framework to use?

Juan Smith, Jul 26, 2019 IP
  2. vijaymee05

vijaymee05 Member

Best Answers:
    you can use symfony as well

vijaymee05, Jul 28, 2019 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use cakePHP but haven't reviewed all the current leaders for quite some time.

With any change there's going to be a learning curve - even if they all follow MVC there are going to be significant differences.

Are you actively looking to change framework or just coming up to speed with what's out there?

sarahk, Jul 28, 2019 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let's first start with your needs. You are currently "with" Laravel... what about Laravel is not serving your needs for you to seek out another? I personally have used everything from Zend, Cake, Symphony to Laravel. In my personal opinion (which may differ from others) Laravel best suits my needs and it's actively maintained and developed with a lot of exciting projects going on. Most of these frameworks will do exactly what you need them to do only if you learn their functionality and ecosystems.... SO why are you looking for a new framework?

NetStar, Jul 28, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are a PHP developer, right? I think you know better what is in trending and on which framework you have to switch.
    BTW this all depends on the requirement and requirements come when you get the new project. And, Laravel is the best framework, I think. If you want to switch to another programming language then you can switch to Python, SWIFT, KOTLIN or Rust.

Sumit_Singh, Jul 29, 2019 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can be a PHP Developer who has an elementary skill set and not current with what is trending. Not everyone is at the mastery level of development like deathshadow (hehe). Laravel is my favorite PHP framework but I wouldn't say it's the best. That's subjective. The best would be the framework you find the easiest to work with to get the job done. Laravel seems to be the more popular of the various options. I'm not sure why we are discussing switching languages though. He did not suggest that was an interest. Also those very different languages you suggested aren't all used for the same kind of work PHP/Laravel is used for. So....

NetStar, Jul 29, 2019 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    or just too busy to do all the leg work to make an informed decision. It can take weeks of development to discover the fatal flaw...

sarahk, Jul 29, 2019 IP
  8. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you but I didn't say it is best, I said I think it is the best and I also didn't suggest it. I also mention there it all depends on the requirements.

This is just for if someone wants to change their field as these are the trending programming language in 2019. But, I didn't mean that one should move to these programming languages from PHP. I know it is not the right thread to suggest this. But once posted, I am not allowed to delete it.

Sumit_Singh, Jul 30, 2019 IP
  9. Juan Smith

Juan Smith Peon

Best Answers:
    Particularly I have also used Codeigniter (something old). But it taught me to understand the MVC model. I will take your recommendations into account. Although I think the market is moving more in Laravel. or am I wrong?

Of course, it all depends on the requirements. If I used Python desorrallaria in Django, or if I do it with Javascript I would do it with NodeJs on the server side.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    Juan Smith, Aug 6, 2019 IP
  10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My advice? Put on the big boy boots and learn to ride without the training wheels.

Until you can do everything a framework does WITHOUT the framework, you're unqualified to say if any framework is any good, worth using, actually made things easier, or that any other claim made about them is actually true.

... and if you learn to do it without the crutches, you will VERY quickly find that MOST of the claims made about PHP frameworks -- easier, simpler, better for collaboration -- are 100% grade A farm fresh prairie pies. Or at least, they are the moment you want to do ANYTHING unique, different, or original.

NOTE I said "most". There are cases where it is a good "quick and dirty" answer; unlike client-side where I've never seen a HTML/CSS/JS framework that was worth a flying purple fish. Client-side frameworks are a monument to the stupidity, gullibility, and ignorance of the average "front end developer".

deathshadow, Aug 10, 2019 IP
  11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Scenario 1
    Client: How much time and money will it cost to for you to make a backend system for my company? I am in dire need and currently losing money without one.
    Efficient Programmer: 2 weeks. $1,500. I will use Laravel and Bootstrap. It may take a microsecond longer to process a page but you can immediately use.
    Client: You are the man! Fuck that microsecond.

Scenario 2
    Client: How much time and money will it cost to for you to make a backend system for my company? I am in dire need and currently losing money without one.
    @deathshadow: 6 months. $30k. Noobs use code already written. I can do everything better than other programmers. With my finished product that will be ready for testing in 6 months you will see how better my code is written saving you precious seconds with every page load.
    Client: I don't care about microseconds. I need my product immediately.
    @deathshadow: You don't know what you are talking about. I do. (Insert 1 hour of nonsense banter).
    Client: I'll get back to you. (Calls Efficient Programmer).

NetStar, Aug 11, 2019 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @NetStar, you really know how full of s*** you sound, right? THIS is what I mean by delusional.

Scenario 1: Some derp who knows shit about shit vomits up a steaming train wreck of ignorance and ineptitude, wasting two weeks cutting/pasting together code they don't even understand. In the process using garbage like bootcrap telling large swaths of potential visitors, clients -- AND CONVERSIONS -- to sod off. End result costs the client two to ten times as much over the next three years and likely resulting in going belly up unless they are FORTUNATE enough to be the only game in town.

Scenario 2: Charging the SAME AMOUNT 1.5 to 2k for some 80 man-hours work using PHP, MariaDB, HTML, and CSS

Honestly, if dicking around with these garbage off the shelf frameworks results in taking that long -- two weeks -- I REALLY have to question just how incompetent those using them are. Again that's why I think it's bullshit -- people using them take as long if not longer than I do working from scratch. THAT'S the part I really don't get.

The only time they aren't is when they blindly copy something that already exists EXACTLY as it exists, in which case WHAT THE BLAZES IS THE KNOW-NOTHING CLIENT EVEN HIRING YOU FOR?!? Something that with two hours of research they could sleaze out themselves in a day?

PHP and SQL aren't rocket science. ANYONE calling themselves a professional should be able to do what the frameworks are providing -- from scratch -- in less time than most of the people using the frameworks seem to, with a better quality result! You can see it in the massive convoluted DISASTERS people vomit up with this mental midgetry.

If the results is going to cost two to four times as much to HOST once it gets real traffic, tells large swaths of users -- like those with accessibility needs -- to go f*** themselves, takes as long if not longer to build, requires more steps to create and deploy and involves more learning on top of the basics you should already know, THEN HOW IN THE BLUE BLAZES ARE ANY OF THE BULLSHIT CLAIMS YOU MAKE TRUE?!?

But again, I suspect you do not have a sufficient command of PHP, HTML, CSS, or JavaScript to have a valid opinion on the topic. Hence why 99% of your replies are "wah wah, is not", you point at sites like mine with nonsensical gripes about a time period you know NOTHING about, whilst refusing to show your own work or anything remotely resembling an example justifying your viewpoint.

Those who can, do. Those who can't make up lame excuses for sleazy dirtbag practices that make everyone work harder, not smarter; buying into every two-bit scam and bald-faced lie the snake oil peddlers hock at every echo-chamber "developer conference".

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    deathshadow, Aug 14, 2019 IP