1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Connection refused then trying to web host

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Euegene, Jun 20, 2019.

Hello,

I am trying to web host from my own internet and my own computer because I don’t want to pay for a subscription (I already bought the 4$ domain) so I looked up instructions online on how to web host using apache. and I’ve accomplished things to a point where if I type in my computer-specific IP address from devices within my local network I can access the site I’ve made (which is in the sites folder), and I wanted this to be accessible outside my own router; so I set up port forwarding 80 for both in and out channels and pointed it to my computer’s IP address; but for some reason, it says “connection refused” whenever I try to access this site using the default gateway of my router, which I assume is my public IP address. So far I’ve narrowed this “connection refused =” problem down to 3 causes:

There is some kind of firewall blocking the connection (I’ve already allowed port 80’s on normal firewall and ipV6 firewall, and I’ve tried lowering my computer’s firewall, with no luck) (I’ve even tried disabling WAN ping block mode)

There is no program that is listening for incoming connection at port 80 (How would I check if there is? I can fluently navigate through apache files using sudo nano command so please tell me where to look)

I’m not even using the correct IP address to access the site from outside my wifi (also my WAN type is dynamic DSL, if that helps you understand this)

Euegene, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  2. dts-net

dts-net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use a web based panel software like centos-webpanel CWP its free and will fix your issue and use centos Linux server software for your OS its free recommend getting a static IP address is an IP address that was manually configured for a device, versus one that was assigned via a DHCP server. It's called static because it doesn't change. It's the exact opposite of a dynamic IPaddress, which does change and you will have to update the server ip every time it does change

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    dts-net, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  3. Euegene

Euegene Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Thank you for your quick reply. So as long as I'm using a Digital Subscriber Line Dynamic WAN connection and don't use a static-to-dynamic IP address converter service like the one you mentioned, it will show "connection refused"? also,

when I'm trying to access the localhost website out of the internet, should I use the IP address in format like OOO.OOO.OO.OO (my public address aka the router's address) or the iPv6 (which is very long; google gives me this when I type "my IP address")? And why does it say "connection timed out" when I try my computer's specific IP address from outside my network (disabling wifi on phone and using LTE connection)

And finally, one last question:
    When I try my default gateway IP address, it says connection refused
    When I try my public IP address (the one that DYNU.com gives me), it says connection timed out
    which one of these two should I use?

thank you

Euegene, Jun 20, 2019 IP
  4. Euegene

Euegene Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Also I went into system network configuration and now my ipv4 address is manual (so static); would that fix the issue of dynamic IP address? I don't know if my public IP address is dynamic as well. Also for CentOS web panel CWP, is that a Dynamic DNS service? If so, can I replace it with another free service like Dynu? (it looks easier to use)

Thanks!

Euegene, Jun 20, 2019 IP