1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

creating your own forum

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by kdarrell, Aug 17, 2006.

Do you think that by creating your own forum, that this would drive visitors to your site?

kdarrell, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  2. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It might. If your forum has interesting topics and if search engines index your pages and bring you search traffic.

ablaye, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  3. eukhost

eukhost Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, adding a forum might help in getting traffic to your site but the key to it is the content of the forum and the no. of pages of the forum indexed by the SEs.

eukhost, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  4. Judd

Judd Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you do decide to get a forum on your site, id get a few paid posters to help get the ball rolling. No one likes an empty forum. It scares users away. So I would make a few topics here and there to make it not look so empty (also this is what your paid posters will do). New users don’t like to start threads on new forum because the feel intimidated. Don't be. I’ve had several successful forums in the past and from exp. I know that users don't like posting on forums with small amounts of existing topics, for some reason they don’t like making new ones. Enjoy.

You can pay them like 10cents per post or something.

Just and idea though.

Judd, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    A forum seems like a good way to generate free or low-cost content, but in reality building a successful forum is most often an intense amount of work.

Will.Spencer, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  6. Efx102

Efx102 Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends on why you want to add the forum. If you just want to drive traffic, there are probably much easier ways.

If you want to add value and get feedback from your visitors, a forum is a great tool. But it requires a lot of work and initial investment before you will get anything out of it.

Efx102, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  7. Judd

Judd Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes building forums is actually extremely difficult. I have one now thats been up since Feb and has around a total of 18118 articles and 381 registered users, and approx. 97.8 posts per day. Another forum I helped build up and develop had around 1300 users and it was around for around 6+ years. It does take time and lots of effort to make a good forum. Both of these forums were local sites to my state and had very good local backing and support.

Judd, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  8. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    Forums are a way to keep your visitors loyal to your website...and yes, building one big forum is a huge task..i used to have one educational forum going sometime back...not very successful though, as it was a only-forums website.

Google, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  9. drhyperlaur

drhyperlaur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forums are a good way to bring your visitors back. If you don't have time/inspiration to add fresh content to your main site, a forum may solve the problem. The visitors will find something new at each visit so they will keep visiting the site... but the quality of the posts is also very important (as the quality of anything...)

drhyperlaur, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  10. braves25

braves25 Banned

Best Answers:
    i want to get my own, but i need some help

braves25, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  11. drhyperlaur

drhyperlaur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    first decide what script you want to use, then read the Help Manual from their homepage

drhyperlaur, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  12. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes it does,
    i am seeing some traffic at my board just launched , it surely gets lot of traffic, since the discussions answer questions for information seekers

forumrating, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  13. Google

Google Peon

Best Answers:
    One way I see in getting traffic is if you are the owner of a related Y!groups community..you can easily convert those members to your forum visitors...

Google, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  14. Ultra Cobra

Ultra Cobra Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Manage a forum is too much difficult than drive webtraffic to anywebsite. So, maybe is not the best alternative.

Ultra Cobra, Jun 17, 2019 IP
  15. gunsnro

gunsnro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    having a forum on a website that does not naturally facilitate discussion is probably not the best idea

gunsnro, Jun 18, 2019 IP
  16. Tsebo Mallane

Tsebo Mallane Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely!
    Don't expect it to be easy though, but if you have a legit forum with great activity and a lot of comments it will definitely drive great, quality traffic.
    The hard work would definitely pay off, but you have to remain dedicated to your forum.

Tsebo Mallane, Jun 19, 2019 IP
  17. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a forum to work takes a lot of work and dedication. Initially, you have to be the main poster offering useful advice and responding to new threads/posts. Obviously, if you don't have a thorough understanding and passion for the main topic of your forum, it's not going to work. Having friends and new members who are equally passionate assist you during the growing stages is also crucial. It may seem odd if you're the only one posting most of the time.

gregdavidson, Jun 22, 2019 IP
  18. dm.dotzo.net

dm.dotzo.net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not a good idea of driving traffic through forums. It's difficult to manage the forum, try some other way to drive traffic like facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

dm.dotzo.net, Sep 20, 2019 IP