1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Picking a domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by webbp0int, May 22, 2019.

Hello guys! I have purchased domains before, but I was wondering how do you pick domain names for your projects online? Do you buy multiple TLD's to redirect your audience to one website? What TLD is best for memorability? Thanks!

webbp0int, May 22, 2019 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The only TLD that everyone remembers is com, so for memorability, that is the ONLY one that counts.

mmerlinn, May 25, 2019 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Assuming your audience is in the US. In the uk you'll also get good value out of a regional domain.

We've just rebranded and couldn't get the parked co.nz despite offering $$$ and are using the .nz and having no issues with getting the site recognised. Most people search, click ads, click content in social media, few actually type a domain in.

sarahk, May 25, 2019 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    So in the UK people actually prefer .co.uk over .com? Seems counterintuitive.

qwikad.com, May 26, 2019 IP
  5. Em&em

Em&em Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    guys, what do you think about TLD that ends with .online or .store? I am interested in investing in those names, good or bad choice?

Em&em, May 27, 2019 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's a whole different topic. Don't spend any money you can't afford to lose.

sarahk, May 27, 2019 IP
  7. Jerlene.net

Jerlene.net Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just buy one. I know me and know that I'll get bored of the project pretty quickly, so I don't waste more resources than necessary.
    I usually choose them by staying on topic though. I always use keywords instead of made up words, like Shmoogle.

Jerlene.net, May 30, 2019 IP
  8. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have two domains just lurking. I should do that forward thingy. I used to be energetic and have a couple of family members that liked to write, so domains were a lot of fun back then. I always have these big ideas but can't seem to get them on the table. I have wasted money and years. I think your idea and time need to be worked on before you suffer your brain through the domain thing. I think dot store could work with something like coffee dot store, ... or similar.

also dot ca (canada) is used a lot.. I know this because I had chrome set to Canada instead of USA for a year and a half... just found the setting on chromebook a month ago... LOL!!

Karen May Jones, May 30, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. sapavvam

sapavvam Member

Best Answers:
    I think .com and .org even .net is good for this kind of works.

sapavvam, Jun 3, 2019 IP
  10. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys! Looks like com is still going strong, yet I think I will try to work with .net as the domain I need is taken with .com

webbp0int, Jun 4, 2019 IP
  11. felicialee

felicialee Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this 2 TLD domain(online or .store) is Not worth investing. The current mainstream e-commerce website is still dominated by .com

felicialee, Jun 4, 2019 IP
  12. trigshady

trigshady Active Member

Best Answers:
    Domain I wanted to have with .com was already taken, so I bought the same I wanted only with different TLD instead. So far so good but do you think in the long run it is better to rebrand and have all the most popular TLDs for mine brand?

trigshady, Jun 5, 2019 IP
  13. felicialee

felicialee Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to expand the brand's influence, it's best to sell the .com domain.
    [​IMG]
    pic @source

felicialee, Jun 6, 2019 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Most of us aren't trying to expand a brand's influence. We aren't Nike.
    We need a domain that will do the job.

If your preferred domain is taken you need to look closely at what that site is doing. If someone is looking for you will they be mistaken and think the other site is yours?
    ex
    Caterpillar
    If you are selling earth moving machinery you won't be worried about another caterpillar site detailing all the different species of insects.
    But if the other caterpillar site is also selling earth moving machinery you'll want to come up with a different brand.

The domain you choose should be a subset of all your branding decisions.

sarahk, Jun 6, 2019 IP
  15. doliam

doliam Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    At this stage, my business is at a niche regional business stage and for that reason, I think is enough to have domains with country code TLD's.

doliam, Jun 10, 2019 IP