1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site speed issues spotted with GMetrix (Vary: Accept-Encoding Header)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by inegoita, May 19, 2019.

Hi guys,

not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just ran a GMetrix test for one of my pages and got a score of 60%

I got an F on this: Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header

The solution I found was to add this in .htaccess:
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    <FilesMatch ".(js|css|xml|gz|html)$">
    Header append Vary: Accept-Encoding
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

When I try to run the test again, GMetrix tells me exactly the same thing, that I'm missing the Vary header. But the header is there, I can see it in my browser and I also ran a curl check which shows me this:

Cache-Control: max-age=2592000
    Expires: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:33:19 GMT
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    Content-Encoding: gzip

What am I missing? Not sure if it's allowed to put my website link here

any help is appreciated,
    John

inegoita, May 19, 2019 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    John, post the link. It is very hard to diagnose the patient if the patient cannot be seen.

mmerlinn, May 19, 2019 IP
  3. inegoita

inegoita Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, the website I'm talking about is Photoshop Supply: https://www.photoshopsupply.com/

It's a Photoshop resources site, so I really need to have a lot of relatively big size images on the pages.

Also, please let me know if you feel a bit of a delay when you first load a page. That's what I noticed on my side and that's why I started investigating the site speed

thanks!

4. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Delay? Absolutely!!! Took almost a full minute to load that page.

Most of that time was waiting for wp.com and photoshopsupply.com

You have 29 CSS files loading. The handshaking time alone would produce visible slowness. Not to say anything about obvious duplication of code. Did not look at the CSS files themselves, but I would be willing to wager that 90% of the CSS is not even being used. Further, it would not surprise me to find over half of the CSS code is duplicated in every file.

Nothing else popped up.

5. inegoita

inegoita Member

Best Answers:
    :( oh man, the wonder of shared WP hosting... and also the fact that each WP plugin comes in with its own set of CSS.

anyway, could you tell if at least the Vary headers are set OK? then I can move on to trying to fix the high number of requests being sent (any help there is also appreciated)

thanks,
    John

6. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, your header problem is way above my pay grade. I simply an ignoramus when it comes to things like that.

As far as the CSS files are concerned, as long as you use WP for your site they are going to be an issue. They way I see it, you have three choices 1) rebuild the site from scratch using a text editor, 2) keep using WP and live with them, or 3) quit using WP and slowly merge all of the CSS files. The third option is probably the slowest option you have to fix the issue and undoubtedly the hardest because to make it happen you will need to modify every plugin as well as all of the CSS files. Personally, I would never go the third route.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  7. harrys56431

harrys56431 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are having issues in your website header and you have to optimize your website speed time. You have to get solution from some expert developer and he will do it in a better way.

harrys56431, May 22, 2019 IP
  8. inegoita

inegoita Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but that is not very helpful. How do you know I have issues in my website header? What is the issue? Please don't be so vague

inegoita, May 22, 2019 IP