1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to choose a topic/ niche

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Molzer, Mar 19, 2019.

Hello guys,

i would like to state my internet marketing plans and you write your opinion and critique on it, ok?

As fas i know when choosing your niche the following three points are important:

1. you have at least some knowledge about that topic/ niche. Otherwise it is difficult to interact with your audience or come up with good ideas of products to offer them.

2. there is a way of reaching out to people interested in that topic, so that you can market to them. That means there are doable ways of getting an appropriate amount of traffic that means you can build an audience.

3. your audience (which you build in No. 2) is kind of willing to buy something. That means there are some products which you can offer them (affiliate marketing or your own products.) (preferably after you build trust).

topics in which i have at least some kind of knowledge:

- mathematics: i have a bachelor/ master in mathematics (and business). How i can reach people interested in „mathematics“: not sure…will try different methods. What could i sell to that audience? Not sure, maybe udemy courses, or books on mathematics (probably on amazon) (for school or university students) or may be will even create some own course/ book later…but only when i see that there is enough demand.

- Business: how i can reach people interested in „business“? Not sure yet. Will try different methods. What could i sell to that audience? Maybe (later) my own business advices (coaching, or since scalable: better digital products) or other peoples products and services, or books (probably as an amazon affiliate partner)

- Self development. What could i sell to that audience interested in topics? Courses and books.

- Combat sport/ self defense. What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Not sure. Maybe also courses, but i want to sell only when it really helps the people and i know that they would NOT benefit much from an ONLINE course. Maybe i could sell information on why most self defense is useless and how to find a teacher who is really good in self defense.

- Healthy food and supplements, especially how you can benefit from it mentally. What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Information about the topic and also the food, and maybe as cross selling other products related to healthy lifestyle, like fitness.

- Cars. What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Car insurance or at least i can forward them to a side where they can compare car insurances (i would get paid per lead). Or other car related topics, maybe something with tuning.

- „logical and analytical thinking and processes“ if i can see it as a topic. But as i am a mathematician this is my main skill. What could i sell to the audience interested in that „topic“? Difficult to say…everybody can benefit from having more logical and analytical thinking and processes in there life, in work and in private topics. But still, maybe the people don´t want to be educated in that field or dont see the need of it. So right now i cannot think of a product which would attract much interest (in my opinion). Maybe i can link this topic to the business topic, creating a new subtopic „how to implement strict logic for making decisions in business“ or something like that, or „how to implement mathematics for growing your business“ or something similar. But, the disadvantage would be, that this is probably such a specific niche that i could not find products which i could market to the audience, so that i would have to build my own products, which i wanted to avoid, unless i know that the ROI is good. That holds true for all of the topics: I would like to sell other people products first, and only after a time, when i am sure that it is good idea (in terms of ROI), only then i would think about creating (or buying) own products for that audience.

- Making money at the financial markets. What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? As fas i see it there is really much money in teaching people to get rich with trading/ stock picking. So probably i could make much money with it, i could even come up fast with my own course, since i have good academical knowledge and also working experience with it. But the only problem is, that i want to sell/ market things which the people are benefitting from and i know that everything what i could market to them is bullshit and they would only loose money with it. And also my own course would be bullshit, because i know that there isn´t anything like getting „rich with trading“. I am very sure about it, since there is enough academical evedince. People even won the noble price for stating and prooving this. But 99% oft he normal people don´t know that because they only see the bullshit of the marketers selling them „courses“ (even the marketers often don´t know that they sell bullshit). This information itself is worth much money, since at least then the people would spare money on the courses and would also avoid trading losses. So this information IS worth much, but how can i market this information to people? People want to buy something promising them to get rich, not something telling them that it is not possible. I could write about this and alternatives to get some (much less than the bullshitter promise) profit, but not sure if there would be a good ROI on doing so.

- How to get good with women: What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Courses and books or generating leads for dating/ sex sites.

- How to get muscular and strong: What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Courses and books.

- Real estate: What could i sell to the audience interested in that topic? Courses and books and may be generating leads for „places“ where they can buy real estate or get a loan. Maybe here is also much money to be made.

Regarding the also important question: How i can reach people interested in that topics? Not sure yet, will try different methods and see along the way how it goes and probably adjust. I would also first concentrate on german audience (since it is my first language). May be later expand to english audience. And also to the question what to sell to the audience: probably valid for most topics: i could also forward the audience to sites of other people, meaning generating leads and get paid for the leads.

So, please tell me, what you think about my thoughts – critique is also very welcomed. Thanks.

Molzer, Mar 19, 2019 IP
  2. Salman Saleem

Salman Saleem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you should first set up a blogging site. Design your site appropriately which looks appealing to the users. Pick a niche like business. Explore keywords on which you would like your site to rank. See sites which are currently ranking on your niche keywords. Analyze their content and then produce a more best quality content. Post the content on your site. Do SEO over it both off and on page. Work on increasing DA of your site. Once all is good going, you can convert your blogging site to an ecommerce site as well

Salman Saleem, Mar 20, 2019 IP
  3. beninbro

beninbro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's up Molzer, sounds like you've pretty much got the basics covered in No. 1-3. I might also add to #1, in addition to having subject matter expertise on your focus areas, it also helps if you're passionate about those topics too.

For ex. years ago I worked with a clothing manufacturer and got to know the ins and outs of fashion. However, even though I could talk about Pantone color schemes, seasons, etc., I have zero personal interest in fashion. So, building an affiliate marketing business around fashion-related products would be difficult for me because I lack the energy to do it. Make sense?

As for the second part of your question, finding an audience for each niche...

More time than money. Have you tried Facebook groups? There's literally hundreds of groups on every topic on FB. Likewise, there's specialty online forums on many of the topics you mentioned, as well.

Alternatively, if you have the time, you could use organic search traffic to reach your audience. Takes time but if done right, it's probably the most sustainable way to make it happen.

More money than time. You can buy clicks/impressions on Facebook, Google, and the like. They call it affiliate arbitrage.

Hope that helps, mate.

beninbro, Mar 23, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. BlindWoman

BlindWoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I think first you need to create a group in Facebook. See and analyze how your product progresses in this niche, then you can start your blog, make an account (s) on Instagram, you can have a few, watch what people like most (don`t forget about advertising). Talk to the audience. Analyze! One can never be sure what exactly the consumer will like.

BlindWoman, Mar 26, 2019 IP
  5. Terem123

Terem123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your niche is very important if you intend to venture into internet marketing. There are many ways of arriving at a final decision, but the main ones are: Your passion or hobby, market gap analysis, target audience preference and basic subject knowledge. Since you have different options ,use these to decide

Terem123, Mar 27, 2019 IP
  6. Tanay Kumar Das

Tanay Kumar Das Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Don't go by seeing the price of the products you would be selling as an affiliate to choose your niche. First of all focus on your passion or knowledge. A niche in which you are knowledgeable is bound to be more easy for you to succeed. Create a blog or website , fill it with fresh quality content , do a little bit of KW research then you are ready to fly.

Tanay Kumar Das, Mar 28, 2019 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You list a lot of options and seem to have some very relevant expertise in some of them. @beninbro mentioned perhaps the most important point: which of these topics is the one that you have the most passion for? Which of these will get you up in the morning, working late at night, etc., because you like it and are interested in it?

That said, one thing that I have learned (the hard way) over the years is that most people will not invest in themselves. They will scour the Internet for free information to help them improve themselves, but rarely reach into their wallets to spend money on such things. So, if you want to provide information on logical/analytical thinking, e.g., it will need to be free content that draws traffic that you will then need to monetize (with ads or some other method, perhaps affiliate sales.) You might be surprised as to what you can sell to certain types of traffic.

One example that comes to mind is when I once spoke to the publisher of a medical journal that was targeted to orthopedic surgeons. The magazine was free and supported entirely by ads. Of course, there were ads for orthopedic products, but there were also ads for high end watches, expensive travel packages, and other luxury items, because orthopedic surgeons are generally wealthy individuals who buy such luxury items.

So, bottomline, my advice is pick a topic that you are extremely interested in and has the potential to draw in interesting individuals that might spend money on something (not necessarily specifically involving the topic) and go for it. Too much analysis beyond that will be for naught. You need to experiment and test to find the right business model.

jrbiz, Mar 29, 2019 IP
    beninbro likes this.
  8. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The most important factor its have some knowledge and have a passion for it

Spartan14, Mar 29, 2019 IP
    beninbro likes this.
  9. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think you should go with Math. If there is something that you don't understand, learn more about it. This will help you in your career as a website owner and as a Mathematician.
    Let me help you with a couple of ideas for a website:
    1. You can create a website that teaches math. Simple right, but not only that, you can teach people tricks on how to calculate fast using your head. You can create a YouTube channel that teaches math and this channel will link to the website. So it's a way of promoting your website.
    2. You can also create a math site about puzzles and you can put a prize for something really hard to solve.
    3. You can create a premium membership website that teaches kids and students math. You can charge a small fee for unlocking the content. A good way would be to show a question and blur the answer. If you pay $1.00 you will get the answer plus the steps it took to solve the problem.
    These are just some ideas I thought might help. Let me know what you think.

Farris

FarrisFahad, Apr 7, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Necessity is the mother of invention. If you randomly choose a niche without understanding it's true purpose you're likely to fail. The people who come up with a unique idea and succeed are usually the ones who find a personal need for their invention.

gregdavidson, Apr 8, 2019 IP
    FarrisFahad likes this.
  11. irule272

irule272 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not only you need to have knowledge about a topic/niche, it is also important that you like it, like you'll love to do it everyday and will never get tired of doing it every single day.

irule272, Apr 13, 2019 IP
  12. gunsnro

gunsnro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    dont be afraid, just create a website and start writing you will see what topic is best for you, as well now there are a lot of blogs that write in multiple topics, because everything is connected! Be brave my friend

gunsnro, Apr 30, 2019 IP
    FarrisFahad likes this.
  13. Alqo360

Alqo360 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Mate, just saw you have a degree in Maths with interests in health, logical and analytical thinking and business. I'm no expert in this field but is one of my closely followed interest and hobbies.

Combining all the above..., the first thought came to mind was machine learning.
    1. You could use machine learning to engineer a novel drug. What usually took decades can now be done in minutes or even seconds (Of course after all the ground work is done... coding, machine learning platforms, etc).

2. A face editing app with GAN generative adversarial networks

3. And many more....

Sorry need to make this post short. You can check out one of my favorite youtuber Siraj Raval.

You can also Google, making money online with machine learning.

Alqo360, Apr 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don't always have to have advanced knowledge about a particular subject to enter and be profitable in a niche. Sometimes the most profitable niches are the ones that are obscure and you have no knowledge about - but alot of people are looking for something that nobody has a solution for. Niches like this would require a "slight" learning curve, but you don't necessarily have to be a master at it.

There are all kinds of ways to reach your intended audience. You can advertise on sites in your niche, do PPC, joint ventures, post in forums, post on blogs, write blog content for yourself, create youtube videos, create podcasts, be interviewed, write press releases, guest blog posts, etc. You just have to be willing to do it everyday.

For products you can create them yourself (info products i assume), and if you need affiliate products you can join an affiliate network like Clickbank, Paydotcom, JVzoo, Commisison Junction, etc to find relevant products. Or you can have Adsense on your site and make money whenever someone clicks on ads on your site.

I think the niches you want to target are far too broad and have alot of competition. Think of niches more like "how to build a birdhouse" or "how to lower your cholesterol". Just examples.

Randall Magwood, Apr 2, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. ZoyaHall

ZoyaHall Peon

Best Answers:
    The most important thing is knowledge and experience.
    Your product will sell well only with the right approach.
    Analyze the market, analyze competitors, analyze your consumers.
    You will succeed, good luck

ZoyaHall, Apr 10, 2020 IP
  16. FrancisCooke

FrancisCooke Peon

Best Answers:
    Based on what you have written I think your expirience with math and the ability to apply it to business is the most "profitable" value. Perhaps a blog where you can display your conjcepts would be great. You may also think on developing some math-based models that can be applied in business and sell them. Not many people are really good at math so I think your abilities may definetely help them.

FrancisCooke, Apr 13, 2020 IP
  17. Shams Alam Khan

Shams Alam Khan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should follow the old way. That would be STP which stands for segmentation, Targeting, and positioning. List all the topics you feel interested in, then list the related topics. Question yourself where you good at. Point out those targets and start to work on it. Once you find your niche, read blogs and books about it.

Shams Alam Khan, Apr 23, 2020 IP
  18. Sam Sabir

Sam Sabir Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Having adequate knowledge about a topic or niche is a must but apart from that, you need to conduct powerful market research to understand your audiences better and how you can develop your product or services to satisfy their needs. Even if your product matters, with poor marketing, it would not reach the right audiences and hence will be ineffective.

Sam Sabir, May 7, 2020 IP
  19. Jaambees

Jaambees Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I know this is to the point, but what are your hobbies? Where does your passion lie? The reason I say this is simply it makes it extremely simple to build blogs/sites around a passion. Just whipping out niche sites can get stale after a while, if you have zero interest in the niche. I think if you narrow your focus to one hobby that you are passionate about and search for affiliate products to market you will be successful.

Jaambees, May 10, 2020 IP