1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New supplemental result problems?

Discussion in 'Google' started by TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006.

I noticed this week that one of my best sites has dropped almost completely into the Supplemental index. Fine, it doesn't wear the whitest of hats.

Now I see that one of my client's new sites is starting to go Supplemental just as it is first starting to be indexed. There is NO reason this one should go supplemental -- all of the content is totally original, all of the pages have different content, and it is not duplicated anywhere.... yet there it goes, new pages being added to Supplemental. Google indexed about 40 pages and ranked them rather well to start. Now as it is crawling additional pages they are going immediately supplemental.

This has got to be a problem with Google, right? Anyone else seeing this on new sites with little history but a lot of original content?

TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  2. Anita

Anita Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to ask a dumb question, but how can you tell if pages are being added to the "Supplemental Index"?

Thanks,
    Anita

Anita, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  3. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Do search for site:yourdomain.com

Look for the line in green where it has the page URL and page size. Right after that it would say "Supplemental Index" -- which basically means we're never going to crawl or update this page again and it will rank much lower than it should.

TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  4. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    trichnosis, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  5. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I do know what they are and what supposedly causes them. What I'm asking about is a possibly new or recent behavior where too much is being added to the Supplementals.

A new site comes online with a few hundred pages of original content and adds more every day. Really original with text and video, not some hashed over articles. Why is a new site like that going supplemental? That would never happen in the past. It has a few quality inbounds; as much as would be expected for a new site of this size (and they are entirely natural inbounds).

TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  6. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe its just a trust issue. your site is new so maybe its a by product of being in the sandbox.

oseymour, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  7. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point, but in my experience, Google never returns to pages it has marked Supplemental. So even if the page changes or updates, the robot will never re-crawl. Maybe getting more quality inbounds will help but it seems a shitty thing to do to a new site and new domain.

The odd thing is that some pages from the domain rank really well, already beating other sites for the same keyphrases... and then similar pages (with different content) from the site get shoved in supplemental hell.

TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  8. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure you have unique meta tags...if you get outside sites to link directly to these pages then you can get them out of supplemental. I got pages out this way before. Also create a html sitemap.

oseymour, Dec 20, 2006 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  9. skionxb

skionxb Peon

Best Answers:
    How much content on your pages? 200 words? less? Are metatags all unique? By the way, try this: Generate Google site map, on the daily basis. Refresh it constantly and resubmit!

It helped me!

skionxb, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  10. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

got the same problem on a couple sites

ferret77, Dec 20, 2006 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    All title tags of the pages going into supplemental are unique. I tend not to use meta description any longer, but I could add it. I'm sure oseymour is right; if the pages themselves get inbounds, they would likely be recrawled, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place. The pages are over 500 chars each, on average, of unique content with unique titles. The site is for a TV station so they generate a lot of original work.

I will try a G Sitemap and report back to see whether it gets the pages in question out of supplemental. I doubt it though; G knows they are there, they have been crawled, just shuffled off into the dustbin.

Anyone else getting shoved into supplemental even though the site in question is totally legit with linking methods?

TheHoff, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  12. Seph

Seph Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a page which went from 2880 indexed pages to 1 (main page) for about 4 months, now they have all reappeared in supplemental, despite being 301'ed to a completely different url... I really can't explain google sometimes, whatever I do seem to take effect a couple of months later.

Seph, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  13. Dave E

Dave E Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Build up high PR backlinks, that definatly helps.

Dave E, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  14. stackman

stackman Peon

Best Answers:
    I have experience with the supplemental index. Here's the most common reasons pages end up in the supplemental index ("Google Hell"):

1) HTML page titles too similar to other pages on your site. Make your page titles unique, especially the first 25 characters.

2) META "descriptions" are too similar. Make your descriptions unique, especially the first few words.

3) Page content is too similar to other pages on your site. Watch out for duplicated side bar menus and side column content that appears on every page. Duplicated content should not be greater than unique content on each page.

4) Content on pages is duplicated on pages on other sites.

It is possible to get pages removed from the supplemental index after you make corrections but it will take at least a month until the next deep index, or longer.

stackman, Dec 20, 2006 IP
    TheHoff likes this.
  15. whateverandever2

whateverandever2 Peon

Best Answers:
    So you're saying dont have sitewide navigation links?

whateverandever2, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  16. gio

gio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    im seeing lots of "supplemental results" like this sites from a friend
    site:www.articlegear.com
    site:www.articlesauce.com

and some others too.

It looks to me like it's Google issue. im not sure though.

gio, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  17. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    I had a similar problem with a site that was all original content.

I think the site wide content issue (like side bars and footer stuff) can be sending things to Sup Index lately. Reduce any sitewide stuff to navigation links only!

I had a couple of paragraphs of content, in very small font, in the footer. I thought I was being a SEO trickster by doing this and including text links to all my major pages, using different phrases than in my Nav bar. It seemed to be working good for a number of months, then TRIP, into Sup Hell it goes. Every page but home page.

I removed all that extra sitewide crap. Got some more back links, even a few deep links to some (not all) my internal pages. And 3 weeks later all my pages came out of Sup Index. 2 weeks later they were all back in again when Google reverted to an older index for a about a week. They are all out again and have been for a few weeks now.

axemedia, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  18. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    Have had similiar problems with a very new site(also unique content and everything). First homepage only indexed then all other pages went into supplemental, after a few weeks everthing was sorted nicely and now the website ranks in the google index:)

WhatiFind, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  19. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an innovative offering at my Ask Directory that I think helps pages getting away from supplemental results, it’s a 500 words original article at the detail page of the listings with 5 or 10 deep links included on the content (ex. Aviva, Blog, Horses)

! Ask !, Jan 2, 2007 IP
  20. superpump

superpump Peon

Best Answers:
    i feel your pain... i was out of supplemental for a while, then for no reason put right back in. I run a news site with many pages added daily, of unique content. I do not have meta descriptions anymore, taking them off as advised and that seemed to get me out of supplemental, but recently I've gone back in..

Also, even though each article has a unique title and page, google is providing me with innappropriate titles of my links when i do a site command, even though there are titles present on each article page that is creqated.

Im just waiting for them to fix themselves as I'm sure they will eventually.

superpump, Jan 2, 2007 IP